Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Thoughts on Reynolds starting today

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thoughts on Reynolds starting today

At first I was kind of annoyed that the Reds were going to start Reynolds today. It seemed like since Cueto was healthy, it was totally unnecessary.

Someone mentioned that it would line up the rotation for Latos/Homer/Arroyo to go in Pitt (I think those are the right names).. Ok, but a loss at Houston counts the same as a loss in Pitt..

But after further reflection, I think this is a nice thing for the Reds to do.
    They aren't going to win the division. The home field advantage in the WC is possible, but still is going to be difficult. That 2-4 run vs the Cubs and Milwaukee pretty much killed it.

So, with that perspective, it's nice the Reds are giving Reynolds a chance to start. The guy was a good solider and stayed in AAA until needed. Why not give him a start in Houston and give him a chance to improve his resume and prolong his career (either with the Reds or someone else).
    I feel the same way about how Dusty used Soto.. at first, I was kind of annoyed to see Soto get key pinch hit opportunites, because he's a AAAA tweener. But the Reds are giving him a chance. I almost had a heart attack when Zach Duke's first appearance was in a key situation, but Duke delivered.
    Not all these moves pay off in the short term. Some of these guys fail miserably, but I think it helps longterm. Guys like Reynolds know that when their career is hanging on by a thread, that Cincy will give them a fair chance.
    Guys like Parra know that when the Reds say they will give them a fair shot at a BP spot, that they will get a chance (they won't get cut after 5 appearances).

Anyhow, was wondering about other people's thoughts on this.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

remdog (09-18-2013)

Turn Off Ads?