Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts on Reynolds starting today

Re: Thoughts on Reynolds starting today

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I like Reynolds. I like his stuff. I like that he is a ground ball pitcher. I think he CAN get ML hitters out consistently. I think he needs time and work. He won't be a #3 but has a good chance to be a #4 or 5. And the Reds need to see whether he's worth further investment before the offseason. He pitched poorly in SF. Really well in his next 2 outings against Mil and Col. Pretty bad in taking over for Cingrani. Yet you'd think he had thrown up 4 straight clunkers the way everyone groans about him. My guess is he has a good game against a fairly weak lineup. Dominant in AAA and this a lineup that is barely above that level.
    Well...I was...wrong....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well...I was...wrong....
    The details might have been off a little but the strategy worked out terrific.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Well...I was...wrong....
    We're spoiled because of all the other good pitchers we have. He gave up 2 runs in 3.2 innings. Not an ideal start but he's a AAA pitcher pitching against a AAA team. It would have been great if he could have gone longer but we're in a pennant race so you can't afford to take a chance with him. If this had been Louisville vs. Oklahoma City, it wouldn't have been a big deal and he may have gone longer in the game. It wasn't his fault Dusty went bunt-crazy and Votto is somehow adverse to Hamilton stealing a base when he's up to bat or that Brandon can't run to 1st properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

5. Likes:

oneupper (09-19-2013)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Reynolds has been as good or better than many of the stopgaps we've seen in previous years.

Villareal (2013)
    Redmond (2012) (Nice job as a reliever this year with TOR)
    Matt Maloney (2009-11) and Chad Reineke (2011)
    Kip Wells and Justin Lehr (2009)
    Adam Pettyjohn (2008)

He'll have a job somewhere in MLB next year.
    Last edited by oneupper; 09-19-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

7. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-19-2013)

I made a post suggesting this before it was announced. The idea was to line-up the top dogs to pitch against the Pirates and Reynolds was the most likely guy to make a spot start. He hadn't started in a while and I think a short outing was to be expected. The pen was rested and has an off day today so there shouldn't be much carry-over (though the extra innings probably means Simon isn't available until Saturday).

The idea I'm sure was pretty much the same as I was thinking it was. Get as much as you can on a short leash, turn it over to a rested and talented pen and take your chances that you can beat the worst team in the majors. The Reds should have won it in the 9th and Dusty probably left Reynolds in a little too long, but it was a great move that had the intended results. The Reds are as close to the Pirates as they've been in a while and have their best guys going in the three games against them.

Remember, these games don't just impact the Reds record, but the Pirates record too. These games count double. Using Latos against the Astros when he could have been saved for the Pirates would have been managerial malpractice IMO. If it was a better team or there wasn't an off day, it may have resulted in a different conclusion, but those factors were well known and surely figured into the (IMO correct) decision.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I"m glad we got the win, but in hindsight, the strategy sort of backfired, as we needed something like 9 or 10 innings out of the bullpen.

So the starters got some extra rest, but the bullpen really got a workout.

Note, I'm not criticizing the move in hindsight (I said I was ok with the move at the time), just noting that this might weaken us going into Pitt, since the bullpen was rode hard. Not a huge deal.

What a game by Billy Hamilton. I know Houston is really a AAA team, but he sure put on a show. Hopefully that's a taste of things to come.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I"m glad we got the win, but in hindsight, the strategy sort of backfired, as we needed something like 9 or 10 innings out of the bullpen.

So the starters got some extra rest, but the bullpen really got a workout.

Note, I'm not criticizing the move in hindsight (I said I was ok with the move at the time), just noting that this might weaken us going into Pitt, since the bullpen was rode hard. Not a huge deal.

What a game by Billy Hamilton. I know Houston is really a AAA team, but he sure put on a show. Hopefully that's a taste of things to come.
    Day off today and that was part of the math. Simon is the only guy who needs a couple days and he'll be available Saturday I'm sure. No problem at all IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Day off today and that was part of the math. Simon is the only guy who needs a couple days and he'll be available Saturday I'm sure. No problem at all IMO.
    Good point, Simon was really the only guy extended and there was an off day in there too. BTW, Simon was the unsung hero last night, he really earned the win. I know he stuggled a bit, but he really pulled through.

I'm ready for the payday when Latos faces the Pirates.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Good point, Simon was really the only guy extended and there was an off day in there too. BTW, Simon was the unsung hero last night, he really earned the win. I know he stuggled a bit, but he really pulled through.

I'm ready for the payday when Latos shuts down the Pirates.
    Fixed!

13. Likes:

REDREAD (09-19-2013)

Turn Off Ads?