Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How about this playoff idea?

Re: How about this playoff idea?

The idea that the Wild Card can be devalued or should be given more respect is absurd to me. It's a Wild Card. You're supposed to have to fight for it. a divisional winner spot in the playoffs is earned. Beyond that, I'm fine with MLB making the Wild Card spot as nailbiting to get as possible. A one-game playoff does the trick. The Wild Card never "earned" its playoff spot in the first place -- we just happen to have just come out of a decade and a half of MLB making it easy for them.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Likes:

mth123 (09-18-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Not really, no. Three days off isn't necessarily a good thing for hitters. And I would much rather be in a situation where I can afford to lose a game and still win a series than literally be in a winner-take-all format of a one-game playoff.
    Did you read my proposal??? The winners would get 2 or 1 day off, not 3! And they are not going to forget how to hit in 1 or 2 days for Crissakes! And like Hamilton's Legs said, there would not be an Ace, or near Ace starting every game in the playoffs! That would be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    Did you read my proposal??? The winners would get 2 or 1 day off, not 3! And they are not going to forget how to hit in 1 or 2 days for Crissakes! And like Hamilton's Legs said, there would not be an Ace, or near Ace starting every game in the playoffs! That would be a good thing.
    First of all that would never work because television needs to have the games scheduled before the series start.

Secondly, the three days off is just one of several issues I have with it. I don't like doing multiple games in the wild-card round. The one-game, winner-take-all approach is perfectly punitive for not winning a division... even more so than a 3-game series.

Like I said, I absolutely want to rid of days of in between the LDS and LCS rounds, so I'm all for that, but I'm against the expansion of the wild card round.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

OK Brutus....'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by redhat View Post
    I think the 3-game WC series is a pretty good idea. Less likely that one bad call determines who advances (Like a 275 foot "infield fly").

Not liking the "no off days" during the division series and league championship series, and not liking at all the "no pre-scheduling" thought. The first would require teams to carry five starting pitchers which would affect the composition of playoff rosters, and the second would be a nightmare for teams trying to sell playoff tickets.
    Its a wild card, it should stay a 1 game playoff... or just go to the leagues best record behind the division winners. Teams are given 162 games to secure a division slot, so its not merely winner takes all.

Secondly I have real beef with folks that try and pin losses on singular calls/bad plays. Whether it be Moises Alou/Steve Bartman, Bill Buckner, or the damn in-field fly rule. The Braves committed 3 errors allowing the Cardinals to get ahead..... that lost the game. Schialdi couldn't close the game, and Stanley threw a wild pitch to allow the Mets to tie Game 6 of that series.... Buckner should have never been in that position. Steve Bartman did not score 8 runs for the Marlins in NLCS game 6.

End Rant..... I'm usually in the minority when it comes to my second point.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    The addition of the 2nd wild card has devalued the 1st. One game is a travesty. But the post season is stretching to November. My idea would clean up both problems:

Start the 3 game WC immediately with a day/nite dbl header, going to the other town the next day if needed for a game 3.

Start the LDCS the next day. That will be tough on the WC winner, but so what? Finally, NO OFF Days in the 5 game series. One off day, then the NLCS. No off days in that either! A day off after that and World Series as usual.

Casual baseball fans won't lose as much interest and TV ratings would go up. I would also propose ditching the pre-scheduling of series'.....If both NLCS teams sweep, we have been waiting for up to 4 days for the WS! Insanity!

I don't understand the thinking of MLB stretching out what most people feel is already a slow game. Not to mention, it gets COLD in November.

Now tell me: does this make sense?
    You know, I don't hate this idea. However, TV would have a fit with it.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I like the one game play-off and that the Wild Card teams are at a big disadvantage against the Division Winners. If we must devalue the 162 game season by letting a team that couldn't win it's division have a shot, then I like the idea that they have to face a one and done scenario first. I'm against anything that makes it more comfortable to be a wild card. Win the Division or face the music.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

10. Likes:

SporkLover (09-19-2013)

As a Reds fan and a Browns fan, I am all for extending the baseball season as long as possible so I can actually enjoy watching a game. Especially after today.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Turn Off Ads?