Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Reds still in on Alexander Guerrero !

Re: Reds still in on Alexander Guerrero !

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I agree that is it not the smartest move or even in the cards to move Votto around the diamond. But with our pitching, I wonder really how valuable the best defenders would be. I think at some point you would expect someone to have to learn a new position to make way for better offensive output. If we had Matt Adams on our bench, would you play him out of place or ask Votto, the more athletic player, to try to learn a new position?
    I'm not so sure Votto is more athletic than Adams. He's older and has had a knee operation. Besides, I saw Votto play OF when he first came up and he made Dunn look like Joe DiMaggio. There's a reason he's playing 1st and not LF. This isn't the WKRP softball team where you move Les Nessman around the diamond and justifying it to him because "Pete Rose played there". Perhaps Votto feels that moving to the OF would do the team more harm than good. The pitching that was so good might not be as good with him in LF. If you re-sign Choo than you have one poor defender in LF and a below average one in CF.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would trade Matt Adams for a position of need.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    This has been covered before with Chapman. He still has to follow the same rules as everyone else. He would be eligible for arbitration in 5 years but not free agency.

If this were the case everyone that isn't drafted would be a free agent after each contract.
    I believe it depends on the contract you sign, which is why Guerrero is seeking a four-year deal. Hiroki Kuroda got free agency after three years.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

There is no need to move Votto to the Outfield.

They have Hamilton, they could possibly re sign Choo, they've got Ludwick still on the books, with Winker and Ervin in the future.

What is going on in this thread?
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I would trade Matt Adams for a position of need.
    Exactly, which is what the Reds did with Alonso.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

7. Likes:

Slyder (10-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I think I'd rather sign Abreu and jam him in the lineup somewhere because his offensive upside is worth it. That's just crazy talk though.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...for-abreu.html

Cuban slugger Jose Dariel Abreu's name continues to generate buzz. The latest, courtesy of ESPN's Buster Olney, is that the Rangers, White Sox and Astros have emerged as the front-runners to sign the 26-year-old, and his price tag is expected to be around $70MM (Twitter link).

In yesterday's free agent profile of Abreu, MLBTR's Tim Dierkes predicted that a six-year, $54MM contract would be required to sign him. Previous reports have indicated that he could cost as much as $60MM, but Olney's report pegs him significantly higher. Such a commitment would shatter the four-year, $36MM contract signed by Yoenis Cespedes and the seven-year, $42MM contract signed by Yasiel Puig. The success of that pairing could be a contributing factor to Abreu's lofty price tag.

As Tim noted in Abreu's profile, Abreu is viewed by many as an "all bat" player, with his first base defense being somewhat questionable. As such, it makes sense that three American League teams are seen as the favorites; each would have the luxury of giving him some at-bats at DH to mitigate that potential weakness.

I think what we need to take from this is that the Reds need to draft and develop players that can fit these positions rather than taking a multi-million dollar flyer on an unknown quantity.

10. Likes:

joshua (10-20-2013), M2 (10-16-2013), mdccclxix (10-16-2013), Norm Chortleton (10-16-2013), Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-17-2013), redsfanmia (10-16-2013), Revering4Blue (10-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think what we need to take from this is that the Reds need to draft and develop players that can fit these positions rather than taking a multi-million dollar flyer on an unknown quantity.
    You can never have too many middle IFs.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

12. Likes:

Chip R (10-16-2013)

This is why Cozart is underappreciated, IMO. Solid major league shortstops don't grow on trees.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

14. Likes:

Chip R (10-16-2013), LoganBuck (10-17-2013), mdccclxix (10-16-2013), REDREAD (10-17-2013), Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't know that Guerrero would be of great help to the Reds and I agree that the Reds definitely need to build predominantly through the system combined with well-timed trades.

While Guerrero may not be a magic bullet though, I don't think that means you don't take a long look at the next Cuban (or other in a similar instance) that comes down the road. The Reds are not going to come out winner for any Top 10 FA in most years. Signing a Chapman (or other target) that commands money, but not an outlay of talent is something the Reds should be on the outlook for.

Actually, I'd be much more happy if the Reds brain trust would ditch their fetish for 4th OFers & Utility IFers and try adding more high ceiling position guys in the frontend of the draft (even thought they might be high risk as well). If they did so, then maybe, they could afford not to consider guys like Guerrero and could pull them from their farmsystem. As it now stands though, impact bats (other than possibly Ervin and Hamilton) are noticeably absent from the levels above A (and not that abundant below). Ervin was a nice start, IMO. In too many drafts over the last few drafts, I've looked at the bats taken in the last 10 drafts and (with a handful of exceptions) just wondered, "Why?"
    Last edited by corkedbat; 10-16-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I don't know that Guerrero would be of great help to the Reds and I agree that the Reds definitely need to build through the system combined with well-timed trades.

While Guerrero may not be a magic bullet though, I don't think that means you don't take a long look at the next Cuban (or other in a similar instance) that comes down the road. The Reds are not going to come out winner for any Top 10 FA in most years. Signing a Chapman (or other target) that commands money, but not an outlay of talent is something the Reds should be on the outlook for.
    I agree. The problem with signing a foreign position player is that you're not sure how his bat's going to adjust to the best pitchers in the business. Therefore if you are going to sign someone like Guerrero, it's such a big risk since you're paying him the kind of money you would pay a MLB free agent. There's risk for both but it's less of a risk with a proven MLB player than a foreign player. Plus with foreign players you have to worry about how they will adjust to the U.S. While the Reds aren't exactly in the poorhouse, they can't throw money at the Next Big Thing from Cuba or Japan every time one becomes available. If you draft and develop those players, you can take or leave that Next Big Thing.

Actually, I'd be much more happy if the Reds brain trust would ditch their fetish for 4th OFers & Utility IFers and try adding more high ceiling position guys in the frontend of the draft (even thought they might be high risk as well). If they did so, then maybe, they could afford not to consider guys like Guerrero and could pull them from their farmsystem. As it now stands though, impact bats (other than possibly Ervin and Hamilton) are noticeably absent from the levels above A (and not that abundant below).
    I'll take your word on that since I don't follow the draftees until they actually begin advancing in the system. But even to a casual observer like me, there does seem to be a dearth of bats from the upper levels of the system.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (10-17-2013)

I think Cespedes' 2014 season will go a long way to determine whether the Cuban bats coming over deserve a ton of attention. As will Puig's season. The Reds got Chapman for a lot of years and a relatively low amount of risk. I don't know that they will be competing in an over-heated setting. In fact Walt almost never stays in hot water.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    This is why Cozart is underappreciated, IMO. Solid major league shortstops don't grow on trees.
    True. Yet Cozart is one the two bats that the Reds can get the biggest bump from upgrading at this point in time. On the upside, Cozart could be one of the best utility IFs in the game.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-17-2013)

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I suppose that depends on your definition of "solid." He is a good glove guy, but so were Castro and Soft J. Cozart is a notch ahead of them, but he's hardly a world beater.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I believe it depends on the contract you sign, which is why Guerrero is seeking a four-year deal. Hiroki Kuroda got free agency after three years.
    I was thinking that had something to do with Japanese players that already have to go through free agency to get here in the first place. I didn't think anyone BUT Japanese players could do that. I'm probably wrong but it is interesting because I would think it would apply to Chapman also...
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Turn Off Ads?