Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Browns trade Trent Richardson

Re: Browns trade Trent Richardson

Who are the Browns

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The cost of acquiring TRich is moot now.

I think they got fair market value for him. Perhaps more (many people think its foolish to use a first rounder on a RB unless he is AP). For whatever reason, he has not impressed so far. Gonna have to let this play out.
    I'd rather pick up a 1st round OL talent and use a later round on a back, even if AP is available. Winning teams build from the line out.

And the Bengals look very solid on the line on both sides of the ball.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Reminds me of why, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get behind Browns v2.0.

They've bumbled and a stumbled and burned off an awful lot of fan goodwill. And are just as far away from contending as when they started the new franchise.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

5. Likes:

Joseph (09-19-2013),remdog (09-20-2013)

Lombardi has a plan. He was very vocal about not liking Weeden while he was an analyst for NFL Network. But instead of reaching for a QB in a weak class in '13, he started trading '13 picks for '14 picks in order to have the ammo necessary to move up to get one of the three studs (Bridgewater, Hundley and Boyd) in case the Browns weren't high enough to take one on their own. Now they have another 1st rounder as trade ammo if they need it.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Lombardi has a plan. He was very vocal about not liking Weeden while he was an analyst for NFL Network. But instead of reaching for a QB in a weak class in '13, he started trading '13 picks for '14 picks in order to have the ammo necessary to move up to get one of the three studs (Bridgewater, Hundley and Boyd) in case the Browns weren't high enough to take one on their own. Now they have another 1st rounder as trade ammo if they need it.
    I don't know how good of a GM Lombardi is going to be. What I know is in Week 3 of the NFL season he has told his fans that this team is going to be awful. He has told potential free agents that we are willing to throw in the towel before week 3 of a NFL season.

To be honest I don't know if it is the right or wrong move for a franchise to make. I have had Bengal season tickets for about 10 years now. I have been in the middle of some pretty poor seasons but always appreciated when they would win a football game. I think the Browns were looking at a 6-10 to 7-9 season. A step forward for a franchise that has been mired in a slump for decades. Unfortunately for the Browns and their fans, their GM has given up the season after week 2. He better be right.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    The other teams they'll be fighting for '14 draft positioning are going to be Jacksonville (a real contender to go 0-16), Oakland, and Tampa Bay are all going to be in the market for a QB.

With the premium placed on a franchise QB, I doubt any of them sell, for any reason, with the chance to take one.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-19-2013),Sea Ray (09-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The other teams they'll be fighting for '14 draft positioning are going to be Jacksonville (a real contender to go 0-16), Oakland, and Tampa Bay are all going to be in the market for a QB.

With the premium placed on a franchise QB, I doubt any of them sell, for any reason, with the chance to take one.
    That was my thinking as well. This will not be as easy as having the capital (draft picks) to spend. It'll be fun to watch

(My thinking rarely is in line with a lawyer)...

So....seems Richardson learned of the trade on the radio. Clowns, indeed.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I forgot about Hundley, but from watching a couple of UCLA games they say that NFL scouts love him. So thats 4 potential QBs for scouting guys to fall in love with and overdraft (potentially).

Anyway, even if those 4 teams all suck and jockey for position it seems there will be enough QBs to go around early in draft - - especially since one of them will have to take Clowney, IMO
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I wonder if this will start a new trend of tanking in the NFL, especially since the franchise value of a top draft pick his first few years is limited in the current labor agreement. "Suck for Luck" was a bit tongue and cheek but Indy didn't make any overtly public moves to cement their status and the top pick. To me, the worst part of the trade is the appearance that the Browns are actively trying to scuttle this season in the name of draft position after only two games. I hope these moves don't become a regular occurrence and lead to an NFL lottery future.
    Last edited by paintmered; 09-19-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I wonder if this will start a new trend of tanking in the NFL, especially since the franchise value of a top draft pick his first few years is limited in the current labor agreement. "Suck for Luck" was a bit tongue and cheek but Indy didn't make any overtly public moves to cement their status and the top pick. To me, the worst part of the trade is the appearance that the Browns are actively trying to scuttle this season in the name of draft position after only two games. I hope these moves don't become a regular occurrence and lead to an NFL lottery future.
    The NFL has brought it upon themselves, to a certain extent.

The rule changes over the last decade have, in almost every respect, had the effect of inflating the value of the quarterback position.

There used to be a number of different pathways to power in the NFL -- but the era of the tough defense / rushing attack offense with a game-manager at QB (think the '85 Bears, '00 Ravens, the '02 Buccaneers, etc.) has ended. Now, the only way to win consistently is with a playmaking / franchise QB under center.

If you don't have one, why wouldn't you tank a season to get on? Every season you play without one is, basically, a waste.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

15. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-19-2013),VottoFan54 (09-24-2013)

The NFL has brought it upon themselves, to a certain extent.

The rule changes over the last decade have, in almost every respect, had the effect of inflating the value of the quarterback position.

There used to be a number of different pathways to power in the NFL -- but the era of the tough defense / rushing attack offense with a game-manager at QB (think the '85 Bears, '00 Ravens, the '02 Buccaneers, etc.) has ended. Now, the only way to win consistently is with a playmaking / franchise QB under center.

If you don't have one, why wouldn't you tank a season to get on? Every season you play without one is, basically, a waste.
    2012 SB Champ QB: Joe Flacco - 18th pick overall
    2011 SB Champ QB: Aaron Rodgers - 24th pick overall
    2010 SB Champ QB: Eli Manning - 1st pick overall
    2009 SB Champ QB: Drew Brees 32nd pick overall

I do agree that a franchise QB is very important, but as you can see you do not have to tank a season and draft in the first 5 picks to have a franchise QB.

I just looked up Richardson's stats. Not sure what the hype is all about. Looks like an even better trade for Cle than folks want to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    What this trade means for the Browns is that they are going to suck this year and are going all in for either Bridgewater, Johnny Football or Tajh Boyd.

Franchise QBs - gotta have one.
    Give this guy a see-gar!

And the rumor is that is actually what the new owner is driving for.

Ya gotta have a QB, and the Browns, over the last 14 years have failed miserably.

I've been a life-long Brown fan since around 1965 (remember when Kelly took over for Brown). And what is funny, when it comes to us Brown fans, is that if you ask them who was the last really good QB for the Browns, they go back to Kosar (80s). Now that was a long time ago. Kosar was good.... but he wasn't that good. He was surrounded by a lot of talent.

The Browns reconfigured the defense in the off-season and, IMO, will be rock solid. Of course this year may not show that simply because they'll be worn out being on the field so much from all the three-and-outs the offense is gonna put up.

Most Brown fans have been screaming at this management for years to start prioritizing the offensive side.

And while it stinks, since we've only two games deep into this season, I think that is what they are now attempting to do, going into next season, with the offense.

Richardson and Weeden were Holgrem's boys. A new owner comes in, cleans house on the coaching staff, and it's only natural they want to acquire (build) with players that fit their scheme. I like Chudzinski and Turner (offensive coordinator). And Richardson didn't fit into the type of RB scheme that Chud wants. And Weeden will be gone too.

Interesting article that projects what the Brown's two 1st round picks will be at..... http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-2nd-6th-picks

So we'll see.

The initial shock has worn off, and I'm back to my normal Brown fan numb state. LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

This is good move for Browns. Too easy to come up with decent running backs. Should never have spent a #1 on Richardson. Now they can spend it on a premium position.

Turn Off Ads?