Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Browns trade Trent Richardson

Re: Browns trade Trent Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    This is good move for Browns. Too easy to come up with decent running backs. Should never have spent a #1 on Richardson. Now they can spend it on a premium position.
    I sort of agree. On the surface it's pretty crazy to jettison the 3rd overall pick from after a little over a year but with the benefit of hindsight it seems to me that drafting Richardson that high (and trading up to do so) was far more egregious than moving him for a mid first rounder.

You sort of wonder if Richardson is going to be the last RB that you see drafted that high in quite some time... with the way that the league is moving I'm not sure anyone is going to be willing to spend a premium pick on a RB.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Today certainly didn't do much for this "plan". Both the Colts and the Browns hurt their draft status by winning big games today. Time will tell whether this was a good deal for the Browns or not but it does make the past few years "a bad deal".

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Today certainly didn't do much for this "plan". Both the Colts and the Browns hurt their draft status by winning big games today.
    The main objective, especially after only 3 weeks of football, is to win games, not hurt your draft status. And if anything the Browns showed people Sunday their objective is not to tank this season.

How can anyone accuse the Browns, who have averaged 5 wins/season for the last 14 years, of purposely trying to tank the season? IMO, they don't have to try!

I'm a die-hard Browns fan, but I'm also a realist too (most Brown fans are).... this team (and organization) has been one HUGE comedy of errors for the last 14 years. We've only posted two winning seasons in that span (9-7, 10-6).

They continually have made so many changes that it appears they are always "starting from scratch". We're on our 6th head coach, and last count we've tried 11 different QBs.

And while a lot of teams can list first round picks that haven't panned out, and even been disasters, the Browns have had the worst of luck in this category with the likes of Courtney Brown, Gerard Warren, Willie Green, Winslow, Edwards, and Quinn (I'll stop there). They have done better in the last few years with Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Joe Haden, and Phil Taylor (verdict is still out on rookie OLBer Mingo).

This organization's problem has been in properly, and successfully, scouting/evaluating, and drafting talent in key positions on the offense. They've done one heck of a job in building a top-rate defense. But they haven't been able to do it on the other side, and especially at very key positions (QB, RB, and WR).

I like the new owner. I like the coaching staff he has assembled. I understand what they are attempting to do from the offensive side too. I think they finally get it. Norv Turner, as far as offensive coordinator goes, is an excellent one. He and Chudzinski are on the same page as far as what they want to achieve, and the type of personnel needed. Richardson, and Weeden, don't fit that scheme.

They need a franchise QB and they know it. I'm willing to see what happens.

As Brown fans what do we have to lose?? LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The main objective, especially after only 3 weeks of football, is to win games, not hurt your draft status. And if anything the Browns showed people Sunday their objective is not to tank this season.

How can anyone accuse the Browns, who have averaged 5 wins/season for the last 14 years, of purposely trying to tank the season? IMO, they don't have to try!

I'm a die-hard Browns fan, but I'm also a realist too (most Brown fans are).... this team (and organization) has been one HUGE comedy of errors for the last 14 years. We've only posted two winning seasons in that span (9-7, 10-6).

They continually have made so many changes that it appears they are always "starting from scratch". We're on our 6th head coach, and last count we've tried 11 different QBs.

And while a lot of teams can list first round picks that haven't panned out, and even been disasters, the Browns have had the worst of luck in this category with the likes of Courtney Brown, Gerard Warren, Willie Green, Winslow, Edwards, and Quinn (I'll stop there). They have done better in the last few years with Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Joe Haden, and Phil Taylor (verdict is still out on rookie OLBer Mingo).

This organization's problem has been in properly, and successfully, scouting/evaluating, and drafting talent in key positions on the offense. They've done one heck of a job in building a top-rate defense. But they haven't been able to do it on the other side, and especially at very key positions (QB, RB, and WR).

I like the new owner. I like the coaching staff he has assembled. I understand what they are attempting to do from the offensive side too. I think they finally get it. Norv Turner, as far as offensive coordinator goes, is an excellent one. He and Chudzinski are on the same page as far as what they want to achieve, and the type of personnel needed. Richardson, and Weeden, don't fit that scheme.

Yesterday I saw a tweet that the Browns were shopping Gordon and Little. If they aren't trying to tank the season then I don't know what they are trying to do. You can agree or not the merits of the trade, but when you are trying to trade your best WR after you traded your best skill player you aren't trying to win football games. If I were a fan that would be the most disheartening part, not the trading of players, but the giving up on a season. I have been there many times before as a Bengals fan, but still enjoyed sitting down and watching 3 hours of football on Sunday.

The Browns for years haven't had skill players on offense. And I will contend that the pick of Mack wasn't a good pick in itself. You can't trade down and trade down again when you need skill players and take a C with your first pick. They have had 2 first rounders before and ended up with Thomas and Quinn and then Richardson and Weedon.

I don't know much about the new ownership. I do know that he likes football better than their prior owner but also he is the subject of a FBI investigation. I don't have a clue if Chud and Turner will be a good combo. I do know that the front office's method right now isn't a fan friendly method. It doesn't make sense to go in and say your QB of one season isn't a good fit. They are going about it in a manner that most front offices don't. In the NFL you don't see fire sales, you don't see tanking seasons, you don't see moves like the Browns made. It may work it may not. All I know is right now what they did would irritate me as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    This is good move for Browns. Too easy to come up with decent running backs. Should never have spent a #1 on Richardson. Now they can spend it on a premium position.
    Possibly. But at the same time it wasnt just a #1 pick. They traded 3 or 4 picks to move up and get Richardson

What did you think of the Richardson draft pick when it was made? Apparently now you don't want it. If you supported it at the time, when did you sour on it?

You make it clear that you're staking your hope on the Browns making stellar draft picks yet you admit that those picks haven't panned out too well in the past. I know you've got a new regime in there but they'd better be good in the WAR room.

Every team would like to have a franchise QB and that's worth "going for". In fact the Bengals don't have one on their roster. It's too early to tell but I'm guessing that the Browns will not be a position to draft one in May and the teams in front of them will be more needy for one than Cleveland is.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yesterday I saw a tweet that the Browns were shopping Gordon and Little. If they aren't trying to tank the season then I don't know what they are trying to do. You can agree or not the merits of the trade, but when you are trying to trade your best WR after you traded your best skill player you aren't trying to win football games. If I were a fan that would be the most disheartening part, not the trading of players, but the giving up on a season. I have been there many times before as a Bengals fan, but still enjoyed sitting down and watching 3 hours of football on Sunday.

The Browns for years haven't had skill players on offense. And I will contend that the pick of Mack wasn't a good pick in itself. You can't trade down and trade down again when you need skill players and take a C with your first pick. They have had 2 first rounders before and ended up with Thomas and Quinn and then Richardson and Weedon.

I don't know much about the new ownership. I do know that he likes football better than their prior owner but also he is the subject of a FBI investigation. I don't have a clue if Chud and Turner will be a good combo. I do know that the front office's method right now isn't a fan friendly method. It doesn't make sense to go in and say your QB of one season isn't a good fit. They are going about it in a manner that most front offices don't. In the NFL you don't see fire sales, you don't see tanking seasons, you don't see moves like the Browns made. It may work it may not. All I know is right now what they did would irritate me as a fan.
    It's also been reported that they've turned down offers for Joe Thomas including one from Denver

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I think history has shown that whatever a front office's strategy might be -- and Cleveland's clearly involves positioning itself to get a quarterback in 2014 -- the people on the field don't quit trying. After all, they have their own agenda that involves continuing to cash NFL paychecks after this season.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBombay View Post
    Possibly. But at the same time it wasnt just a #1 pick. They traded 3 or 4 picks to move up and get Richardson
    Which was also dumb.

But, they wisely avoided doubling down on dumb by unloading him for a 1st round pick.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

11. Likes:

RiverRat13 (09-23-2013),Sea Ray (09-23-2013)

I was onboard with the TRich pick. Everyone raved about him.

As much as we hear that RB's shouldn't be drafted high, if one turns out like Petersen or Lynch, I'm ok with it. And he was hyped as being that special.

But...my opinion of the draft pick has changed.

I just don't think he is that special after watching 15+ games with him.

I still think the front office sent the wrong message. I get the impression that what the Browns' players are saying and doing are more of an audition for their next team. I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns pull off a few shock wins this season. I also wouldn't be surprised if some of their better players refuse to resign or try to force a trade in the off-season.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

There is some truth to what you're saying buck. I read the articles on them shopping Gordon and Little. And they had some offers that they have also rejected. The GM responded they aren't going to give them away either. They are looking for specific talent and they know what these guys are worth.

I hope they don't get rid of Gordon. As for Little? I won't miss him. Inconsistent. He reminds me of Braylon Edwards. He'll make a spectacular catch that will make the highlight film, but then drop 3-4 routine passes in a game.

And the reason they drafted Mack was because they direly needed a center to shore up, at that time, a huge weakness (offensive line). I had no problem with it, because I'm one who believes your offensive line is the "heart" of your team. And draft picks like Mack and Thomas have greatly improved it. But again, the problem has been getting those key offensive talent that stands behind that line .... QB, RB, and especially a down field threat in WR.

It makes perfect sense for the new management, and especially coaching staff, to say the QB of only one season is not a good fit if that ownership and coaching staff wasn't there, didn't draft him, and sees he doesn't fit the offensive scheme they are trying to build.

I agree, seeing what just went down with Richardson, how it would irritate Brown fans, and especially season ticket holders. I was initially pee-d off. WTF??? But I've had time to sit back and look at it more in-depth and I understand (and agree) with what they are trying to do.... IF they can do it.

They've also let it be known they are going for a "franchise" QB, and will also be aggressively pursuing Texans’ RB Ben Tate in the off-season.

Going into this season, most Brown fans were optimistic seeing the "improvement" on this team, even though we once again finished at 5-11. There were some who held out hope we might be able to get a WC this year; but most projections I saw had us realistically going 7-9 or 8-8. And while that is an improvement, it ain't much to get excited about.

And you would know and agree with that as a Bengal fan. I also follow (root) for the Bengals. Have done so since they entered the NFL in the 60s. Loved that game this last Sunday as I watched both the Browns and Bengals. But they hit rock bottom before Marvin Lewis was brought in. Now my brother, who is a die-hard Bengal fan, hates Lewis. Lewis definitely turned the organization around, brought some respectability, but, according to my brother, he will never take them to that "next level".

The Browns started out this year 0-2. And the offense, as it has been the trend, has looked terrible. Especially in the redzone. And, IMO, even if they hadn't traded Trent, I saw them, once again, winning no more then 5 or 6 games because of this offense

It has to stop. Especially when you have built a sound squad on the other side of the ball (defense).

Again - we haven't got anything to lose. But I don't think they are having a fire sale or purposely trying to tank the season. When you only win 4-5 games a season there's nothing to tank! LOL

It's about long term consistency. If they can accomplish it, then Brown fans, who have already endured frustration for the last 14 years, will forgive/forget it.

And while the Vikings have their problems too... I have to admit, what I saw from the the Brown's offense with Hoyer, getting Gordon back, and TE Cameron, did impress me.

They weren't coached, nor played, like a team that was tanking anything.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I don't really see it as a bad deal, I don't think Richardson is an all world back waiting to happen.
    Saban's backs aren't NFL powerhouses.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What did you think of the Richardson draft pick when it was made?
    It really doesn't matter what myself, or any Brown fan, thought of the draft AT THAT TIME, as far as any relevancy to the current situation.

Everyone knows that 1st round picks, even though players had stellar college careers, that it doesn't always translate into success at the NFL level. The list of names is endless. There is always a risk involved. But that is the chance every NFL takes, and basically have to.

Apparently now you don't want it. If you supported it at the time, when did you sour on it?
    I never "soured" on the drafting of Richardson. All I've said was that I understand the direction the new ownership, and coaching staff, are trying to take this offense, and that players like Richardson and Weeden, aren't the style of players that they feel will help them achieve that. They didn't draft these guys, and so they have every right, since the ownership hired (entrusted) them, to then build THEIR team in accordance to the scheme they think will bring a greater chance of success.

I like Richardson. I had no problem when they drafted him either. He was a stellar RB at Alabama and we needed a RB. My only concern THEN was that he did have an injury history. And he played hurt his rookie year too, and even had two broken ribs. And in the first two games his numbers weren't that impressive either. Now that wasn't all his fault, but again, I just don't think he is the type/style of RB that Chud/Turner want to build the future on.

And look at his numbers so far in his brief career. They aren't the numbers of a "elite" RB for sure. If the Browns thought TR was going to live up to their original intentions they wouldn't have traded him. He has a 3.5 yds/carry and only three 100 yard games. So maybe the NEW management felt his trade value would only continue to decrease over time, and trading him now would be their best opportunity to maximize his trade value? Possible? Only time will tell.

You make it clear that you're staking your hope on the Browns making stellar draft picks yet you admit that those picks haven't panned out too well in the past. I know you've got a new regime in there but they'd better be good in the WAR room.
    One can say that about a majority of NFL teams. A lot of times it's a coin flip with 1st round picks because, again, stellar college talent does not translate into success in the NFL. Look at the current number of highly touted 1st round picks that have failed or are struggling to the point the pundits, and fans, are starting to ask questions.

Check this article out on NFL 1st round draft history since 1995..... http://www.cstv.com/genrel/040805aaa.html

And here's another one. Go back to 1999 (when the Browns came back), and go up through 2008, year-by-year, and look at all the busts ..... http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/ful...=round1#round1

So yeah, the Browns management is going to have to do their "homework" like any teams does by the way. But the Browns’ current brain trust shouldn’t be handcuffed by the decisions of their predecessors (who are gone for good reason), and maybe, just maybe (time will tell) should receive credit for being bold enough to make such a drastic move just 1 1/2 years after drafting/anointing Richardson as a key piece to their franchise’s future. But that wasn't the current owner/management.

It's too early to tell but I'm guessing that the Browns will not be a position to draft one in May and the teams in front of them will be more needy for one than Cleveland is.
    The 2014 QB class has a lot more to offer then last year's. And while Manziel is getting all the hype, I don't know if he is the best, or even a 1st round pick. We'll see. He has his flaws as far as an NFL-style QB and chances of "elite-hood".

Teddy Bridgewater/Louisville (only a Jr though)
    Marcus Mariota/Oregon
    Tajh Boyd/Clemson
    Aaron Murray/Georgia
    David Fales/San Jose State
    AJ McCarron/Alabama

And there are others in the class.

And yes, the Browns will be in position to draft one. Who? I have no idea. Will any of these players succeed in the NFL? Your guess is as good as mine. LOL
    Last edited by GAC; 09-24-2013 at 09:30 AM.

So yeah, the Browns management is going to have to do their "homework" like any teams does by the way. But the Browns’ current brain trust shouldn’t be handcuffed by the decisions of their predecessors (who are gone for good reason), and maybe, just maybe (time will tell) should receive credit for being bold enough to make such a drastic move just 1 1/2 years after drafting/anointing Richardson as a key piece to their franchise’s future. But that wasn't the current owner/management.

The 2014 QB class has a lot more to offer then last year's. And while Manziel is getting all the hype, I don't know if he is the best, or even a 1st round pick. We'll see. He has his flaws as far as an NFL-style QB and chances of "elite-hood".

Teddy Bridgewater/Louisville (only a Jr though)
    Marcus Mariota/Oregon
    Tajh Boyd/Clemson
    Aaron Murray/Georgia
    David Fales/San Jose State
    AJ McCarron/Alabama

And there are others in the class.

And yes, the Browns will be in position to draft one. Who? I have no idea. Will any of these players succeed in the NFL? Your guess is as good as mine. LOL
    The Browns are doing another re-set indeed. Time will tell whether it works out this time. As a general rule, you don't build a team by trading 1st rd draft picks for future 1st rd picks especially when it's a high 1st that you traded picks to get in the first place.

No question, this year's draft is much stronger in QBs than last year and the Browns should make that a priority. Of course they made that a priority when they drafted Tim Couch too so it takes more than that.

Turn Off Ads?