Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Browns trade Trent Richardson

Re: Browns trade Trent Richardson

My point when the trade went down was that regardless of outcome it wasn't a good move by the organization. They were trading their former top 5 pick one year later. They were trading a guy a much needed quality skill player. RB's can be tricky, a guy like Moreno can go from looking like a bust but then all of a sudden turns into a feature back. It ended up being a good deal from the Browns now, I do think you have to give Richardson a break, its tough to go from one team to another in the middle of the seasons. Different offenses, schemes, and personal take time to adjust to.

It appears as if the Browns are back in their familiar place. A team with a serious need of QB who plays well just well enough to be outside of the top 5 or so. With Mariotta returning for his Jr, year it looks like the Browns will be drafting in the meh range at QB. The Gabbert, Tannehill, Ponder, and Locker range.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    My point when the trade went down was that regardless of outcome it wasn't a good move by the organization. They were trading their former top 5 pick one year later. They were trading a guy a much needed quality skill player.
    If what we are seeing, that TRich is less than good, is legit...how can you argue it was not a good move? The regime that traded him was not the regime that drafted him...he was just a sunk cost at the point they took over. I think you could argue they were ahead of the curve on this one. Now, the new regime has not been impressive so far...but this move was a winner.

Just to be clear, are you saying he is a quality skill player?

4. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-02-2014),RiverRat13 (12-06-2013)

The Browns Fired Chudzinski!!!! ..... http://sports.yahoo.com/news/browns-...5858--nfl.html

My God! What an asinine move IMO. This was the guy's first year. They had an entirely new coaching staff trying to implement their system. This FO traded away their RB, they don't have a QB, and the only one who was proving himself got injured (out for the year). They knew, going into this season, mainly from the offensive side, they had some huge question marks and holes to fill. And less than a year ago Banner was touting Chudzinski as one of the bright young coaches in the NFL and claimed they had their eye on him for quite some time. Now they are saying they made a mistake?

If they did make a mistake in hiring him, then, IMO, that says far more about their lack in decision-making and evaluation skills. Geez!
    Last edited by GAC; 12-30-2013 at 04:51 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The Browns Fired Chudzinski!!!! ..... http://sports.yahoo.com/news/browns-...5858--nfl.html

My God! What an asinine move IMO. This was the guy's first year. They had an entirely new coaching staff trying to implement their system. This FO traded away their RB, they don't have a QB, and the only one who was proving himself got injured (out for the year). They knew, going into this season, mainly from the offensive side, they had some huge question marks and holes to fill. And less than a year ago Banner was touting Chudzinski as one of the bright young coaches in the NFL and claimed they had their eye on him for quite some time. Now they are saying they made a mistake?

If they did make a mistake in hiring him, then, IMO, that says far more about their lack in decision-making and evaluation skills. Geez!
    This move (and other NFL coaching firings) is being discussed in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    My God! What an asinine move IMO. This was the guy's first year. They had an entirely new coaching staff trying to implement their system.
    I can't fathom how any potential or established head coach would ever want to hire into such a Mickey Mouse operation. Not even the best of the best of head coaches could walk into the Browns at their current state and turn it around in one season, or two for that matter. It is way too broken, from top to bottom.

I know Browns fans are as diehard as they come, but there has to be a breaking point. For me, it's here. I can't support this organization any longer.

Spring training can't get here fast enough.

P.S. Sorry, I just read Boss's post after posting mine. I will refrain discussing this in this thread from here on out.

I recall reading a lot of Bengals posters crying for drafting Richardson as high as necessary. Using the Moneyball analogy, a high draft pick on a back seems to be a waste of resources because backs seem to be plug and play in the league. Is there a team in the league that has a "star" back in the playoffs this year?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I recall reading a lot of Bengals posters crying for drafting Richardson as high as necessary. Using the Moneyball analogy, a high draft pick on a back seems to be a waste of resources because backs seem to be plug and play in the league. Is there a team in the league that has a "star" back in the playoffs this year?
    Depends on your definition of "Star" -- I'd say Marshawn Lynch in SEA definitely qualifies.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Depends on your definition of "Star" -- I'd say Marshawn Lynch in SEA definitely qualifies.
    Lynch is a very good back. I'd love to see him in stripes but I think there's a decent chance that he's a salary cap casualty next year and the 'Hawks let him go. They have two very good backups. And I don't think you'll see much of a dropoff in production. Conclusion: it is a system thing

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Lynch is a very good back. I'd love to see him in stripes but I think there's a decent chance that he's a salary cap casualty next year and the 'Hawks let him go. They have two very good backups. And I don't think you'll see much of a dropoff in production. Conclusion: it is a system thing
    I would agree. In days of yore when defensive linemen and linebackers were slower, a fast RB could dominate the game. These days, when even defensive linemen are putting up impressive times in the 40 yd dash, it's much more difficult for RBs to dominate the game. Football is a much faster game today, which is why good blocking schemes are becoming more important to a successful running game. Meanwhile, as defenders get faster, RBs are becoming increasingly fungible.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Jamaal Charles and LeSean McCoy are both star RBs. Next to AP, they are the 2 best in the game and both have potential to be HOF caliber.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

13. Likes:

Benihana (12-31-2013),dubc47834 (01-02-2014),Revering4Blue (12-31-2013)

I was listening to talk radio about Trent Richardson and a Alabama coach said that the line that Richardson and Ingram played behind aided them. The coach said Lacy would have started from day one if he didnt suffer a injury and is the better back of the three. Sean Payton even said yesterday they would like to run more then have but the stregthen of the OL now is pass blocking.

I think Trent will have to be happy with being a Sproles type player minus the speed. If not that he needs to be in a rushing first offense and who does that now in the NFL ?
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

When dudes like Arian Foster (undrafted) and Alfred Morris (6th round) come along, and to a lesser extent Zac Stacy (5th round), Bryce Brown (7th round) Rashad Jennings (7th round), Chris Ivory (undrafted), LeGarrette Blount (undrafted), and Bobby Rainey (undrafted), it definitely makes drafting a running back early seem like a waste of a valuable resource. Lots of dudes out there who can tote the rock effectively for at least a few seasons.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    When dudes like Arian Foster (undrafted) and Alfred Morris (6th round) come along, and to a lesser extent Zac Stacy (5th round), Bryce Brown (7th round) Rashad Jennings (7th round), Chris Ivory (undrafted), LeGarrette Blount (undrafted), and Bobby Rainey (undrafted), it definitely makes drafting a running back early seem like a waste of a valuable resource. Lots of dudes out there who can tote the rock effectively for at least a few seasons.
    I agree with you in general but I'll add that Gio Bernard has been huge for the Bengals this year and I don't think that sort of talent could have been picked up off the streets

17. Likes:

Benihana (12-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    A lot of what makes running backs successful is the scheme they play in. Foster was great running in the zone blocking scheme because he was a great cut back runner. Morris found himself in a good situation with Shanahan who has been very successful with RB's.

I don't think I would be touting the praise of the likes of Jennings, Ivory, Blount, Rainey, or Brown just yet. Those guys are serviceable but hardly irreplaceable like the top tier RB's. I think its foolish to draft a RB high in the draft, but at the same time I also thought it was foolish to draft a WR in the top 5. But then AJ Green came along and made me change my mind. It is one of those positions where if the RB is truly great (see AP) they can be a big time difference maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with you in general but I'll add that Gio Bernard has been huge for the Bengals this year and I don't think that sort of talent could have been picked up off the streets
    Bernard seems to make the point about not making a RB a high first rounder. Look at what he brings to the table and there were questions about him being overdrafted at the position he was.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?