Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vladimir Guerrero retires

Re: Vladimir Guerrero retires

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I really liked Anthony Adams youtube retirement film, gets funny about 1:05 in or so. Bacon lovers will like his shirt.
    THAT was fantastic. I wasn't sure I wanted to commit 4 minutes of my life to watching the whole thing.....but it was worth it.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The two guys are contempories and they aren't that dissimilar in total production though each got there different ways.
    Vlad has much larger counting stats. Nearly 700 more hits, 60 more doubles, 150 more homers, 400 more RBI, 20 points in average and 50 points in slugging. Giles had 2 all-star games. Vlad had 9. Giles finished in the top 15 of MVP voting once. Vlad was there 10 times including a win.

Now, I will be right there with you that Giles should have been in more AS games and higher in some MVP votes, but he wasn't and in the time where he will be eligible to be voted on, those things are going to matter and he simply doesn't come close to stacking up to Vlad.

4. Likes:

BillDoran (09-19-2013),REDREAD (09-19-2013)

Refer to the Todd Helton thread.

Vlad gets in MY hall of fame easily.

Will the writers put him in? Probably not.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Vlad has much larger counting stats. Nearly 700 more hits, 60 more doubles, 150 more homers, 400 more RBI, 20 points in average and 50 points in slugging. Giles had 2 all-star games. Vlad had 9. Giles finished in the top 15 of MVP voting once. Vlad was there 10 times including a win.

Now, I will be right there with you that Giles should have been in more AS games and higher in some MVP votes, but he wasn't and in the time where he will be eligible to be voted on, those things are going to matter and he simply doesn't come close to stacking up to Vlad.
    Giles was an interesting guy. Got a late start because he was in a crazy deep Indians organization. Had an impressive four-year prime with some terrible Pirates teams. Then he went to San Diego, which really sapped his power. Once that happened you were left with a guy with good OB skills and C+ power. And he never had defense or speed. With the Padres he shared top billing with Phil Nevin at first and then got eclipsed by Mike Cameron and, especially, Adrian Gonzalez.

IIRC, there also was a fair amount of speculation that found his power inside a syringe. He bulked up quickly in the late '90s and thinned out noticeably once the league started testing. Hard to say because his power spike happened during his age 28-31 seasons. Yet even if he was 100% clean he profiles as a good player who had a limited very good-to-great peak.

As for Vlad, anyone who goes on a decade-long tear like he had from 1998-2007 should be an easy Cooperstown pick.
    Last edited by M2; 09-19-2013 at 02:37 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

dougdirt (09-19-2013),Old school 1983 (09-19-2013),REDREAD (09-19-2013),Revering4Blue (09-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Vlad has quietly announced his retirement at 38 with a slash line of .318/.379/.553 and 449 career home runs.

Is he a HoFer?
    Yes. A no doubter for me.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

the reds had wilton guerrero, who do you think was better??

Turn Off Ads?