Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Buntapalooza has to stop

Buntapalooza has to stop

I know some of you might read this as reactionary. Seriously though. Tonight the Reds had Billy Hamilton on second base -- already in scoring position easily with a guy with such speed. They had Shin-Soo Choo at the plate, easily their second best hitter, and hitting against a RH to boot. So what does Choo do? He squares up to bunt. Fortunately, the pitcher helped him out and walked him. Then comes BP. Runners on first and second now, no outs. What does he do? HE BUNTS TOO!? And then gets called out for interference.

I'm sorry. I don't normally post threads like this, but you guys have got to help me out. I just see no way having two of the team's best hitters bunt back to back in the 7th inning with the fastest human on the planet on second makes any sense whatsoever. If you can explain to me why it does, I'm all ears.

2. Likes:

RedsBaron (09-19-2013),Stingray (09-25-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Buntapalooza has to stop

Seriously. I can't think of a better way to get yourself absolutely nothing to show for having Billy and Choo on with nobody out. Unbelievable.

Lot of blame to go around in that inning. Votto swinging on the first pitch with the double steal on and Ludwick watching three straight strikes go by.

Not a bunt fan, but more mental errors are to blame IMO. Running on the foul side toward 1B is taught when you're about 8 years old. Votto didn't exactly have a smart PA there either.

If not for those issues, it would have worked.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Phillips does something a team of players might combine to do 2 times a season or we are up 5-4.

I don't understand bunting after a guy throws nine straight balls. Make him throw at least one strike.

9. Likes:

Chip R (09-19-2013),Number_Fourteen (09-19-2013),RedEye (09-18-2013),RedsBaron (09-19-2013),toledodan (09-19-2013)

The bunt call would have taken the lead if BP can find his way to first abiding by the rules, all things considered equal.

Redeye, just wonder what you think of Houston bunting? By all accounts, Bo Porter and the Astros are one of the most sabre-friendly teams and Creeper just said they are very reliant on the sac bunt.

Where is the Runtofirstbaseviathebaselinepalooza thread, Redeye?

13. Likes:

edabbs44 (09-19-2013),Larkin Fan (09-19-2013),mth123 (09-18-2013)

I still don't bunt BP. Bunts = giving away outs. You already have the fastest human in the world IN SCORING POSITION.

15. Likes:

RedsBaron (09-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I don't understand bunting after a guy throws nine straight balls. Make him throw at least one strike.
    I think Ludwick heard you, he looked at three pretty good strikes. He should have only looked at one.

Btw, if Phillips doesn't interfere, Votto's pop up would have scored Hamilton.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The bunt call would have taken the lead if BP can find his way to first abiding by the rules, all things considered equal.
    Votto's fly ball never happens because he gets walked. And Jay was totally pitched around so we can't assume he walks with the bases loaded.

I think Baker hears all the criticism in the media for bunting so much and then thinks "They want to second guess me? Well guess what! Buntapalooza!"

19. Likes:

BoxingRed (09-19-2013),Homer Bailey (09-18-2013),LexRedsFan (09-19-2013),RedEye (09-19-2013),redsmetz (09-19-2013),toledodan (09-19-2013),wolfboy (09-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Where is the Runtofirstbaseviathebaselinepalooza thread, Redeye?
    No kidding. This is easily the least intelligent baseball team I can remember. I'd say about half of this team's losses were giveaways due to sheer idiocy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I don't know if playing for one run is the right move (you are playing the Astros with Chapman in the pen).

But if you do play for 1 run, I assume the bunt is the way to go. Not an egregious move.

Turn Off Ads?