Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Buntapalooza has to stop

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Re: Buntapalooza has to stop

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Redeye, just wonder what you think of Houston bunting? By all accounts, Bo Porter and the Astros are one of the most sabre-friendly teams and Creeper just said they are very reliant on the sac bunt.
    No idea. Seems like a bad idea, but tell me more. I'm happy to eat crow on this thread if you can convince me that the bunt calls were actually the way to go. I'm pretty sure the numbers say bunting is almost never a good idea. Situationally speaking, perhaps you can make the argument. But with BH at second and no outs? And then with two on and no outs? Wha?
    Last edited by RedEye; 09-18-2013 at 11:42 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Lot of blame to go around in that inning. Votto swinging on the first pitch with the double steal on and Ludwick watching three straight strikes go by.
    There's only 1 strike you can blame Ludwick on.

Pretty sad inning tho.

In any case, the team managed to frustrate me in every possible way that inning. It isn't all on Dusty. The whole thing just stunk.

5. Likes:

CySeymour (09-19-2013), kaldaniels (09-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I still don't bunt BP. Bunts = giving away outs. You already have the fastest human in the world IN SCORING POSITION.
    I actually agree with your point, but giving away outs is a lesser crime than giving away games like these players routinely do.

A little bit of brains and this team would have clinched the division a week ago.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

No idea. Seems like a bad idea, but tell me more. I'm happy to eat crow on this thread if you can convince me that the bunt calls were actually the way to go.
    I don't necessarily mean in this situation. I mean in general. All the sabre guys I know say the sac bunt = the worst play in baseball. Porter and the Houston GM are big sabre guys, and yet they lead the AL in sac bunts.

In any case, the team managed to frustrate me in every possible way that inning. It isn't all on Dusty. The whole thing just stunk.
    I like this post. It's true. I guess I respectfully object to the knee jerk Dusty thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Where is the Runtofirstbaseviathebaselinepalooza thread, Redeye?
    I actually posted this thread while watching BP make that gaffe, I think. So maybe I'll post that as a follow-up if this one's a success. There are a lot of potential threads that could come out of that inning, let me tell you...

10. Likes:

kaldaniels (09-18-2013), Norm Chortleton (09-18-2013)

I don't necessarily mean in this situation. I mean in general. All the sabre guys I know say the sac bunt = the worst play in baseball. Porter and the Houston GM are big sabre guys, and yet they lead the AL in sac bunts.
    Maybe sac bunts make more sense when your team can't actually hit.

No seriously the complaining about the bunting needs to stop.

The percentages of the Reds scoring a run would go up drastically by bunting in those situations. We have ample evidence of that. One only needs to look at a run matrix and the discussion is over as to what the smart move is.

There is absolutely no justification for complaining about bunting in that situation. None whatsoever. The percentages say it's absolutely the right move.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

13. Likes:

jimbo (09-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    No seriously the complaining about the bunting needs to stop.

The percentages of the Reds scoring a run would go up drastically by bunting in those situations. We have ample evidence of that. One only needs to look at a run matrix and the discussion is over as to what the smart move is.

There is absolutely no justification for complaining about bunting in that situation. None whatsoever. The percentages say it's absolutely the right move.
    Could you please post the percentages? I can't just take that claim at face value. We've been round this before, and I wasn't convinced then, most likely because it wasn't actually true. When you factor in the notion that the player has to actually execute a bunt to make bunting an equal proposition to swinging away, it makes no sense. You are giving away an out AND taking the chance that something else will screw up. Which is EXACTLY what happened with BP.

I'd like your thoughts on the Reds announcer ideal (forget who) of BP bluff bunting and Billy H just steals?

The idea was to get the go ahead run to 3B with one out so a fly ball would score him while staying out of the double play. Not really the worst idea in the 9th of a tie game. Poor execution due to complete brainlessness made it an utter failure.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

The chances of getting any runs is higher with a man on third and 1 out vs. a man on second and no outs. The chances of scoring any runs with men on second and third with 1 out is higher than first and second with no outs. The negative is the run expectancy is lower. In other words, by bunting you increase your chance of getting at least 1 run but lower your chances of a big inning. So early in the game it is a really bad idea. Later in the game it's is not a bad idea if you are tied or you are down 1 run. The 7th is about the inning where you start to think about it, but it's iffy if you are the visitors.
    Last edited by scott91575; 09-19-2013 at 12:01 AM.

Here we go again.

nm
    Last edited by RedEye; 09-19-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Turn Off Ads?