Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Buntapalooza has to stop

Re: Buntapalooza has to stop

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    If you were guaranteed it would work, I could see the argument. If say easily more than 5 percent of the time the bunt doesn't work out, yet that's the max percent you can increase your odds.
    It's not 5% of the time. The break even is closer to a bunt not working about 20% of the time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ludwick taking on 3-0 and 3-1 meatballs also had a big impact on the odds, where is the outrage for that "mental" decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    When an out is made 70% of the time, that means that seven out of 10 times, you will lose probability of scoring. It's not about gaining 5%, it's about playing the percentages of the most likely outcome. If you hit away, there is a 7 in 10 chance that you will have a negative outcome.
    How do you get an out being made 70% of the time in all possible situations? Doesn't it vary depending on the scenario?

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    As folks have pointed out numerous times though, the numbers only come out practically EVEN if the bunt is executed correctly. By trying to bunt you are taking the risk that it won't work... which is a pretty big risk to take just to step up your run expectancy from 65 to 70%.
    For total runs yes, but not 1 run which was presumably the game with Chapman coming in.

A successful bunt increased the chances of winning. That is in arguable. The odds of missing the bunt were pretty low (ie. if he missed, he probably wouldn't have continued at 2 strikes and might have gotten a hit anyways).

In the end, over all of the potential scenarios, I think calling a bunt probably comes out about even. Considering the circumstances, I'm not sure it was the best call. Too many variables. I think either choice was likely going to lead to a run.

How do you get an out being made 70% of the time in all possible situations? Doesn't it vary depending on the scenario?
    Brandon Phillips makes an out 68.9% of the time. Are you offended that I rounded up the additional 1%?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Ludwick taking on 3-0 and 3-1 meatballs also had a big impact on the odds, where is the outrage for that "mental" decision.
    Bases were loaded and the pitcher was having control problems. Taking on 3-0 was the right play. Might have been ripping on 3-1 though. Ludwick isn't exactly in a groove though. I could see Bruce, Votto or Choo swinging there. I can't complain about others taking.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

8. Likes:

Chip R (09-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    For total runs yes, but not 1 run which was presumably the game with Chapman coming in.

A successful bunt increased the chances of winning. That is in arguable. The odds of missing the bunt were pretty low (ie. if he missed, he probably wouldn't have continued at 2 strikes and might have gotten a hit anyways).

In the end, over all of the potential scenarios, I think calling a bunt probably comes out about even. Considering the circumstances, I'm not sure it was the best call. Too many variables. I think either choice was likely going to lead to a run.
    Your own probability, which didn't even account for the possibility of a double play for simplicity sake, shows the overall probability of bunting and scoring a run was greater by at least 12% than the probability of not bunting and still scoring a run.

It doesn't come out even. That was the point.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    But the idea is to score a run. Better odds are better odds.
    If you were guaranteed better odds. You aren't. The reds odds did not increase as a result of the bunt. It's not a free 5 percent increase.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Your own probability, which didn't even account for the possibility of a double play for simplicity sake, shows the overall probability of bunting and scoring a run was greater by at least 12% than the probability of not bunting and still scoring a run.

It doesn't come out even. That was the point.
    But in my scenario I also discussed that I didn't include odds of screwing up the bunt, or the fact we were facing a terrible pitcher with control issues. The 12% difference was just a very rough starting point, not a conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    No, the expectancy for total runs goes down even more after a sac bunt. On Tango's chart for scoring just one run, the runners at 1B/2B with no outs get a 65% run expectancy and the runners at 2B/3B get a 70% run expectancy after a successful sacrifice. As we just saw, there are NUMEROUS ways in which bunts can fail to succeed.

13. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (09-19-2013)

Brandon Phillips makes an out 68.9% of the time. Are you offended that I rounded up the additional 1%?
    Not offended, I just didn't see you mention Brandon Phillips. And you didn't even talk about Choo, who certainly doesn't make an out that much, but was still asked to -- wait for it -- bunt.

No, the expectancy for total runs goes down even more after a sac bunt. On Tango's chart for scoring just one run, the runners at 1B/2B with no outs get a 65% run expectancy and the runners at 2B/3B get a 70% run expectancy after a successful sacrifice. As we just saw, there are NUMEROUS ways in which bunts can fail to succeed.
    But total runs aren't the issue. 1 Run was probably the game. I want to win the game, not the stat sheet.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-19-2013)

That makes no sense.

If your mortgage depended on getting $1,000 to avoid losing your home and someone offered you the following two choices:

* Picking the correct card out of four options to get $5,000, or

* Picking the correct card when three of the four options are the winning pick but only get $1,000

Which is the smart bet? You go with the one that has the highest degree of probability you'll get what you need. In that case, you go with the lower amount of money but that one that has a much higher chance of paying off.

When an out is made 70% of the time, that means that seven out of 10 times, you will lose probability of scoring. It's not about gaining 5%, it's about playing the percentages of the most likely outcome. If you hit away, there is a 7 in 10 chance that you will have a negative outcome.
    Not even close to the proper analogy. I really don't even know how to begin to respond to it.

18. Likes:

dwyerbrg (09-19-2013)

That makes no sense.

If your mortgage depended on getting $1,000 to avoid losing your home and someone offered you the following two choices:

* Picking the correct card when three of the four options are the winning pick but only get $1,000

Which is the smart bet? You go with the one that has the highest degree of probability you'll get what you need. In that case, you go with the lower amount of money but that one that has a much higher chance of paying off.

Quad post
    Last edited by Homer Bailey; 09-19-2013 at 12:59 AM.

That makes no sense.

Not even close to the proper analogy. I really don't even know how to begin to respond to it.

Turn Off Ads?