Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: if choo returns to cincinnati in 2014.....

Re: if choo returns to cincinnati in 2014.....

This would be a very nice problem to have, I believe Walt will figure out what to do.
    Win the Division

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    Too much emphasis on the opening day lineup. There are worse things than having 4 good OFs over the course of 162 games. It will work itself out. If Hamilton plays at a level that demands he's in most every day, then maybe Ludwick will continue to struggle (or get hurt again). It's still reasonable to think Choo might need to sit vs some lefties. Hamilton could struggle and need to be a part time player. Let's not go too overboard with concern about MAYBE having a good OF on the bench if everything turns out great and we avoid injuries.
    Fair point. Choo can and probably should sit vs. tough lefties. Hamilton should start in AAA and hopefully be up after putting up a solid two months of OBP over .330. By that time let's hope the PT works itself out.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Trade Homer Bailey, Ryan Ludwick, and Yorman Rodriguez to Texas for Jurickson Profar.
    Fascinating idea. It does shuffle the money pile and Profar at SS would give the Reds potential star talent in the middle IF.

I'd still be tempted to ride this pitching wave as far as it goes and I don't know that you'd need to include Rodriguez.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Why not just keep Hamilton up in the bigs when we resign Choo? Platoon him with Ludwick. Night games and against whatever pitchers Ludwick is good against then you can start him, otherwise start Billy. This way Billy gets a feel for major league pitching, but isn't subjected to the pressures of leading off or playing everyday like Stubbs and Cozart were. It is no secret that he struggled this year hitting in the minors, but he turned it on when he got comfortable, why not give him time to get comfortable in the bigs next year? Plus you will have him on your bench to PR in close games too. He would not get the huge amount of AB to 'develop' in the minors, but how much developing can you do against minor league pitching? Look at Reynolds. He had a nice ERA and a nice record in the minors, but is struggling somewhat here in the bigs. Do we want Billy to develop with pitching like that or to develop against actual major league pitchers?
    Good points. It's hard to say what's best for Billy.
    I like how he finished AAA stronger than he started it. It just seemed like it was a pretty big adjustment for Billy, so I think he could benefit from another 1/2 season at AAA.

I would not be opposed to your plan, as long as Billy got enough playing time.
    It's true that he could help us win some games next year, and maybe it wouldn't be at the expense of his development. Tough call
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    2 things.

1. his comments about GABP all came before he actually had any success in GABP.
    I always thought Homer's comment about the GAB being a little league park were just part of his sense of humor. It was just a funny way to say "It's a tough park to pitch in".. I guess I never interpreted it as saying he doesn't like it here. Has he ever said anything else about the GAB?

That said, I expect him to test FA too, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I move Choo to left. I bring up Hamilton and play him in center part time with Heisey or Robinson. I deal 2 of Ludwick, Paul, Robinson, Heisey (keeping at least 1 CF'er). I also deal Izturis & Rodriguez (possibly Soto too). Amongst all of those spare parts we should be able to upgrade the bench with 1 or 2 ACTUAL solid bench players (additional player could be dealt too as needed). We need someone who can play solid middle infield and hits with a decent average. He could be someone without a lot of pop, but offsets it with AVG or OBP. Since I'm nowhere close to familiar with other teams' bench assets, I'm open to suggestions. I was thinking Arizona due to the glut of guys they have there. Bloomquist, Hill, Prado, Owings, Gregorious. Cleveland seemed like a good target last offseason due to the high number of really good MI prospects they have in their system. Not sure if they fit anymore though.
    Not bold enough. I agree with your outfield but the Reds need to add another starting bat. One of 3B, SS or C needs an upgrade offensively. At bare minimum a catcher to share the position with Mes who can hit.

Replacing Izturis on the bench is small potatoes, not enough.

I expect a lot of discussion on this during the off-season. I know the love for Reds prospects who have made the majors. But if the goal is a WS team, the Reds need to decide, seriously and objectively, which of Frazier, Cozart, and Mesoraco is a positive offensive player and which is/are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Not bold enough. I agree with your outfield but the Reds need to add another starting bat. One of 3B, SS or C needs an upgrade offensively. At bare minimum a catcher to share the position with Mes who can hit.

I expect a lot of discussion on this during the off-season. I know the love for Reds prospects who have made the majors. But if the goal is a WS team, the Reds need to decide, seriously and objectively, which of Frazier, Cozart, and Mesoraco is a positive offensive player and which is/are not.
    I love this post! The reds need to decide who out of that group is for real and who is a pretender, then upgrade the position. I love choo, and I'd love to have him back, but I see the issues at SS 3b and C almost trumping resigning choo. If we can find someone who when grouped with an entire season of ludwick and Hamilton that can equal or better the output of choo the LF platoon and whatever player is replaced, this team actually might be better next year. I'm of the opinion that one of winker, Ervin or YRod will take off next year, and ludwick a vacant spot will be theirs for the taking in 2015 if not late 2014 and the extra money can go where it belongs: Latos and Bailey.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I wasn't suggesting that was all we should do. Just a part.

As for 3b, I expect Frazier to rebound from his sophomore season. As for SS, I'm fine with Cozart's production...just not in the 2 hole. As for C, I expect Mesoraco to produce better. He's really been snakebit this season IMO. It seems to me that a LARGE portion of his hard hit balls this season have found leather. Much more than the norm. But I'm also the type of guy who doesn't expect a ton of offense from C...I want defense and any production from C is gravy.

Of the 3, the one I'd look to upgrade first would be Frazier. I love Todd, but I just don't know how to project a guy with a swing as funky as his. The glove is legit. But 3b is a slot I expect some offensive pop. Short & C...glove first, offense if you can get it.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 09-20-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-20-2013)

If the Reds are going to fork out cash for Choo and look to lock up either of Latos or Bailey, then I suspect you can write down Frazier, Cozart and Mesoraco's names in blood. They're inexpensive.

Frazier's a solid player too. He's got enough bat for the position and his fielding has turned out way better than anyone ever would have guessed. For what he costs, and with the potential to have some bigger seasons in the near future, Frazier's good value for the money.

Cozart's cut from the J.J. Hardy mold of shortstops - glove and power, but lousy OB. Unless the Reds can make a radical move to get a young SS phenom (like what Beni suggested), Cozart's going to be the SS.

Like you mentioned, catcher is a position where maybe the team could find a reasonable upgrade. Don't know what it would take to pry Wilson Ramos from the Nats, but he'd be interesting in the GAB. And a George Kottaras type is always around if you're looking for a complementary piece.

Yet I suspect the Reds will be looking for the current cast to be their own upgrades. Good news is they theoretically have the capacity to do that.
    Last edited by M2; 09-20-2013 at 07:29 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

12. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (09-20-2013)

Turn Off Ads?