Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congrats

Congrats

First, I just want to congratulate you guys on your win tonight. I'm sick...I want to throw up. But, as they say, you win some, you lose some. I don't know if this is ultimately the loss that will break the Pirates' backs. They really haven't wilted all year. But, as far as losses go, I can't imagine too many more demoralizing than this one.

I've never mentioned this on here, as it never seemed relevant before, but I am a Catholic priest. I think what I'm about to say will shed some light on why I think that is relevant now. As part of my ministry, I teach in a Catholic high school. Within the first month of the school year, we've had to bury two of our graduates from last year, both dying in separate automobile accidents. We buried the second one today. Sadly, I encounter tragedies like this all too often. All I have to do is go back to my office to be reminded that at the end of the day, win or lose, this is just a baseball game.

Don't get me wrong, I love baseball. And, specifically, I love the Pirates. I watch almost every game, if I can. I watched today on my iPhone as I was watching my school's high school football team. I was crushed by today's loss, but only for about a second. Maybe I'm writing this as a roundabout way to deal with the still suppressed anger, but I don't think so. I think I genuinely want to congratulate you, as Reds' fans. You all have a great team. I think it's likely that we'll play a one-game playoff with each other, and regardless of what happens, even with the recent bad blood between our teams, I find it easy to root for the Reds when they aren't playing the Pirates.

So, I don't want this to sound like I'm downgrading things at all, coming over here and saying something like, "Eh...it doesn't matter anyway. It's just a baseball game...there are lots of other things that are more important in life." I'm not trying to do that at all. But, I guess what I am saying is that real life can put things like this in perspective. I can see this win propelling the Reds to great things, and frankly, crushing the Pirates. They should still make the playoffs, but I'm not quite so sure now, to be frank.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded rant. Enjoy the game tomorrow.

2. Likes:

757690 (09-21-2013), 919191 (09-21-2013), Always Red (09-21-2013), AtomicDumpling (09-21-2013), Boss-Hog (09-21-2013), Brutus (09-21-2013), cumberlandreds (09-21-2013), CySeymour (09-21-2013), dabvu2498 (09-21-2013), Degenerate39 (09-21-2013), dfs (09-21-2013), Donder (09-21-2013), Driver62 (09-21-2013), George Anderson (09-21-2013), George Foster (09-20-2013), Joseph (09-21-2013), joshua (09-21-2013), kaldaniels (09-21-2013), Larkin Fan (09-21-2013), Larry Schuler (09-21-2013), membengal (09-21-2013), MillerTime58 (09-21-2013), mth123 (09-21-2013), Norm Chortleton (09-21-2013), Number_Fourteen (09-21-2013), Old school 1983 (09-21-2013), PepperJack (09-20-2013), PuffyPig (09-21-2013), RedlegJake (09-21-2013), reds1869 (09-21-2013), SirFelixCat (09-21-2013), TeamBoone (09-21-2013), VR (09-21-2013), westofyou (09-21-2013), WildcatFan (09-21-2013), wolfboy (09-21-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (09-20-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Congrats

This is an attempt at a reverse jinx by giving congrats now

Nonetheless, very respectful post.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

5. Likes:

Donder (09-21-2013)

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IABucFan View Post
    First, I just want to congratulate you guys on your win tonight. I'm sick...I want to throw up. But, as they say, you win some, you lose some. I don't know if this is ultimately the loss that will break the Pirates' backs. They really haven't wilted all year. But, as far as losses go, I can't imagine too many more demoralizing than this one.

I've never mentioned this on here, as it never seemed relevant before, but I am a Catholic priest. I think what I'm about to say will shed some light on why I think that is relevant now. As part of my ministry, I teach in a Catholic high school. Within the first month of the school year, we've had to bury two of our graduates from last year, both dying in separate automobile accidents. We buried the second one today. Sadly, I encounter tragedies like this all too often. All I have to do is go back to my office to be reminded that at the end of the day, win or lose, this is just a baseball game.

Don't get me wrong, I love baseball. And, specifically, I love the Pirates. I watch almost every game, if I can. I watched today on my iPhone as I was watching my school's high school football team. I was crushed by today's loss, but only for about a second. Maybe I'm writing this as a roundabout way to deal with the still suppressed anger, but I don't think so. I think I genuinely want to congratulate you, as Reds' fans. You all have a great team. I think it's likely that we'll play a one-game playoff with each other, and regardless of what happens, even with the recent bad blood between our teams, I find it easy to root for the Reds when they aren't playing the Pirates.

So, I don't want this to sound like I'm downgrading things at all, coming over here and saying something like, "Eh...it doesn't matter anyway. It's just a baseball game...there are lots of other things that are more important in life." I'm not trying to do that at all. But, I guess what I am saying is that real life can put things like this in perspective. I can see this win propelling the Reds to great things, and frankly, crushing the Pirates. They should still make the playoffs, but I'm not quite so sure now, to be frank.

thank you for what you do everyday not only for the church but for young people. Your right, it's just a game. Happy we won but in the big picture, what you do 7 days a week, 365 days a year is more important, and I salute you sir. If we can't win it I hope the Pirates do. We can both agree God is not a St. Louis fan...
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

It is funny that you mention being a priest and a Pirates fan. I live in the Laurel Highlands and our local parish priest is a Bengals and Reds fan. He often uses sports as a metaphor in his homilies so Sunday should be interesting after this week.

Good Luck to you guys tomorrow. A wonderful team and a great stadium.

All I have to do is go back to my office to be reminded that at the end of the day, win or lose, this is just a baseball game.

Father...As a fellow Catholic although far from a perfect one, this phrase is one that as I grow older is something that I feel when I watch about any baseball game. When I was younger I used to get vicious and nasty and let how the Reds played ruin my day. However now as I have grown older and maybe a little more wiser, while I still have a strong love for the Reds and baseball, at the end of the day I remind myself it is just a game.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

10. Likes:

westofyou (09-21-2013)

Odds are these 2 teams will meet for the Wildcard game. If that is the case, all that matters is what happens on the field 10 days from now. Don't give up.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Personally, I love it when fans of 2 rival teams can disagree about something and still remain polite, respectful and civil. Sportsmanship...it's a vanishing trait.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

13. Likes:

Deepred05 (09-21-2013), Donder (09-21-2013), Joseph (09-21-2013), lollipopcurve (09-21-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Apology for being a Pirates fan accepted.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Odds are these 2 teams will meet for the Wildcard game. If that is the case, all that matters is what happens on the field 10 days from now. Don't give up.
    Hopefully you all will meet the Cardinals and shut them down for the year and then meet us for the league championship. Good luck though.

I'm a fan that remembers the 70's. A Reds-Bucs seven-game clash for the pennant would bring back old memories.

16. Likes:

Deepred05 (09-21-2013), Joseph (09-21-2013)

Congrats on not having 21 straight losing seasons, the Pirates are a formidable team that could probably win the NL Central.

Since we still have five games left between our clubs, there aren't many nice things I can say about them... good luck I guess.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Apology for being a Pirates fan accepted.
    Not before he gives us 20 "Our Fathers" and 10 "Hail Marys".
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

19. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (09-21-2013)

There must have been Emergency call centers on watch for heart attacks during the 8th=10th innings in both cities after that.

I'm curious to know what IABucFan thought of McCutchen getting plunked last night. A few of my friends on Twitter, who are Pirate fans, were pretty angry about it. They kept talking like Baker had it all planned out.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I'm curious to know what IABucFan thought of McCutchen getting plunked last night. A few of my friends on Twitter, who are Pirate fans, were pretty angry about it. They kept talking like Baker had it all planned out.
    IDK, honestly. I mean, I don't think LeCure hit him on purpose. But, I also think that if we're all honest, we can acknowledge that that is the fourth time he has been hit in the series this year, not counting the big one last year.

What that means, or what to do about it, I don't know. I definitley think some bad blood is developing between the two teams. There have been a lot of plunkings in this series, going back over the last few years. How many were intentional? I certainly can't say. I mean, I know with a high degree of certainty that at least one was, when Morton hit Choo to lead off the game whenever that was. But, was last night? I don't know. I can understand the reaction from the fans and from Hurdle though, the emotions, being caught up in the heat of the moment.

In any event, five games left...given that whoever wins at least three of them will own the tie-breaker, I pretty much see this as a five game series to decide who gets to host the WC game. I think the Cards can be caught, but it will be a tough road to hoe for both of our teams.

At least they play three with the Gnats, so something good will happen in those games. Either the team we're chasing will lose, or the team chasing us will lose.

Turn Off Ads?