Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reynolds slated to start on Wednesday

Re: Reynolds slated to start on Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I had heard he still feels discomfort, so he's not any closer to returning.
    From Fay...

John Fay ‏@johnfayman 26m
    Cingrani threw 25 pitches off the mound without pain. "That's a good indication. But I don't know what they're going to do w/ me." #reds
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

2. Turn Off Ads?

Folks, I'm pretty sure this is what the Reds have in mind.

A - At the end of Tuesday's play, if the Reds are still in the hunt to win the division Latos will pitch Wednesday. If they are two games back or closer than that, it will be Latos.

B - At the end of Tuesday's play, if the Reds are no longer reasonably in the hunt for the Division - if they are three or more back -- they may use Reynolds and save Latos for the Pirates series and try and line up their best guys against the Bucs.

I don't agree with this philosophy, I would pitch Latos Wednesday in any event. But this is what I think they have in mind.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-23-2013 at 04:46 PM.

This Reds management group holds their cards very close to their vest. I'd put no stock in the fact that Reynolds is listed as the starter. That's not to say he won't pitch (though I doubt he does), only to say that the decision either hasn't yet been made or has been made and is being kept quiet.

In addition to the point I made two posts up, the Reds probably don't want to wind up with Leake or Reynolds for Sunday if the game counts. They want one of their most experienced guys ready for Sunday.

Using Reynolds on Wednesday would ensure that Arroyo is available for Sunday. Latos, Bailey and Arroyo over the weekend.

As I said, though, they won't do this if on Wednesday they are still in a serious fight for the Division. They will use Latos Wednesday if they are very close to the Cards.

There is a wild card (no pun intended) - Cueto. If he is lights out tonight, then Reds may use Latos Wednesday in any event - and use Cueto Sunday. That way they can skip the Reynolds thing regardless of the standings.

I thought we already suffered through one Reynolds start to "line everyone up for the postseason" ?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

7. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (09-24-2013),PuffyPig (09-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    From Fay...
    I now what I would do. Start him on Wednesday. Get three or four innings from him and then go to Simon for three. Then go from there. I'd rather see that than Reynolds again.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

9. Likes:

WVRedsFan (09-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    That's using the term loosely.

I agree. I want no part of Latos -- or anyone else on the staff -- pitching on 3 days rest.

When the playoffs start.....what would be the problem, if Cueto and Cingrani cannot pitch more than 5 innings.....having Latos and Bailey pitching on 3 days rest, at least once?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Why is Latos getting the nod over Bailey in the one game playoff?

I don't like it, for many reasons.

a) Latos has looked sluggish at best lately. Perfectly fine if he is just tired but he looks it.

b) Bailey has been better against both the Cardinals this year and especially the Pirates in his career.

c) Latos started the biggest game for the franchise in several decades, and he lost without even keeping us in the game.

I give the ball to Bailey, he's the guy who shows up in the big spots. He's came up through this organization. He has earned it. I think putting Latos in the spot is asking for trouble. I think he grips too hard in big spots.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

12. Likes:

malcontent (09-24-2013),OGB (09-24-2013)

Marty said on the radio that "not too many people expect Reynolds" to make Wednesday's start.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (09-24-2013)

I would start Bailey and Cueto over Latos in the wildcard game. Latos has been really struggling the last month and a half. Especially if its here at GABP, I am going with Bailey, if its at Pitt, I am going with Cueto.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I'm confused. Do some of you WANT Greg Reynolds to pitch in potentially meaningful games for this team? I'm fine with Latos pitching on Wednesday and then pitching (if necessary) the play-in game on one extra day of rest.

Tuesday - Leake (on 5 days' rest)
    Wednesday - Latos (on 4 days' rest)
    Friday - Bailey (on 5 days' rest)
    Saturday - Arroyo (on 5 days' rest)
    Sunday - Cueto on (on 5 days' rest)

Tuesday [unless we win division] - Latos on 5 days' rest

not brain surgery.
    Stick to your guns.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (09-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I'm confused. Do some of you WANT Greg Reynolds to pitch in potentially meaningful games for this team? I'm fine with Latos pitching on Wednesday and then pitching (if necessary) the play-in game on one extra day of rest.

not brain surgery.
    Yea, I don't get it either. Unless the Reds WANT Cueto to pitch the WC game. Which, after hearing Dusty's comments tonight, might be their plan. I'm honestly not sure who I would pick out of Cueto, Bailey, and Latos if they were all somehow available. As much as I would hesitate making Cueto's first meaningful start back the WC game, he's earned my trust in big games enough to warrant the consideration. Tough decisions, but I say go for the division with the worst case being we get home field for the WC. And that means keeping Reynolds far away from the mound.
    Just call me Legs

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Why is Latos getting the nod over Bailey in the one game playoff?

I don't like it, for many reasons.

a) Latos has looked sluggish at best lately. Perfectly fine if he is just tired but he looks it.

b) Bailey has been better against both the Cardinals this year and especially the Pirates in his career.

c) Latos started the biggest game for the franchise in several decades, and he lost without even keeping us in the game.

I give the ball to Bailey, he's the guy who shows up in the big spots. He's came up through this organization. He has earned it. I think putting Latos in the spot is asking for trouble. I think he grips too hard in big spots.
    Homer has a no hitter and a one hitter in his career at Three Rivers Heinz Park.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post

not brain surgery.
    Given Cueto's performance last night, I'd say this makes the most sense. Saving Latos for Pittsburgh made some sense with an iffy Cueto, but now the Reds have three solid starters for the Pirates and the team's overall ace ready for the play-in game. May as well win that game on Wednesday.

I was all for Reynolds and the pen handling last Wednesday against the Astros with the day-off, but now that Cueto seems ready to be a horse again, it's not necessary to save Latos. It actually has him well rested for the play-in.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Given Cueto's performance last night, I'd say this makes the most sense. Saving Latos for Pittsburgh made some sense with an iffy Cueto, but now the Reds have three solid starters for the Pirates and the team's overall ace ready for the play-in game. May as well win that game on Wednesday.

I was all for Reynolds and the pen handling last Wednesday against the Astros with the day-off, but now that Cueto seems ready to be a horse again, it's not necessary to save Latos. It actually has him well rested for the play-in.
    Let's see where we are come Sunday. We might opt to hold Cueto out of Sunday's game and save him to start the WC game on Tues. But I don't see any reason for Reynolds to start any game until then

Turn Off Ads?