Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Astros draw a 0.00 Nielsen rating for Sunday game

Astros draw a 0.00 Nielsen rating for Sunday game

http://deadspin.com/the-astros-drew-...ing-1372996857

Also comes out they average less than 1000 viewers a game, or the equivalent of an out of market WNBA game.

Astros.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Astros draw a 0.00 Nielsen rating for Sunday game

Ah...but they are making money. That's all that counts for the Astros. Darn this competitive team stuff and the fans.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Ah...but they are making money. That's all that counts for the Astros. Darn this competitive team stuff and the fans.
    They weren't going to be competitive this year no matter what they did. I know that everyone wants to point and laugh and say "bunch of idiots", but they are stockpiling cash and very, very good prospects. They are going to be very good in a few years when they get those prospects up and also have $150M to spend on a roster. That is their plan and so far, it looks like a pretty good one. They will need to execute the whole spending on the right free agents or acquiring the right guys via trade and then pay them, but the plan is in place and seems to be going perfectly as they designed it.

5. Likes:

Beltway (09-23-2013), Caveman Techie (09-24-2013), Chip R (09-23-2013), CySeymour (09-24-2013), gilpdawg (09-26-2013), Homer Bailey (09-23-2013), Old school 1983 (09-23-2013), Raisor (09-24-2013), Red in Chicago (09-23-2013), Redlegs Homer (09-24-2013), Revering4Blue (09-23-2013), Screwball (09-24-2013), Tom Servo (09-23-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (09-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They weren't going to be competitive this year no matter what they did. I know that everyone wants to point and laugh and say "bunch of idiots", but they are stockpiling cash and very, very good prospects. They are going to be very good in a few years when they get those prospects up and also have $150M to spend on a roster. That is their plan and so far, it looks like a pretty good one. They will need to execute the whole spending on the right free agents or acquiring the right guys via trade and then pay them, but the plan is in place and seems to be going perfectly as they designed it.
    +1

The Astros are going to be a force in the AL West in a few years. They've got Luhnow running the show, the guy who rebuilt the Cardinals farm system.

7. Likes:

Chip R (09-23-2013), marcshoe (09-24-2013), Revering4Blue (09-23-2013)

They have a thousand more Ks than walks, third straight season with 100 losses.

Both hard to achieve

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    They have a thousand more Ks than walks, third straight season with 100 losses.

Both hard to achieve
    They average > 6 more Ks than walks, per game? That seems impossible.

There's got to be one Tribe fan living in Houston who watched the game.

Luhnow should be canned by Selig himself.

12. Likes:

texasdave (09-23-2013), Wonderful Monds (09-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    They average > 6 more Ks than walks, per game? That seems impossible.
    409 BB

1468 K's

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I heard this on the radio here Monday morning after the game (or tuesday...that week was a blur). Beyond pitiful.

But as I've said to numerous people...give the Astros 3-4 years. That's going to be a good club. They seem to be a club all about saving money...but they're more than willing to spend it too. Just waiting for the right time. That's one of the weird things about Houston too. If the team is good, they'll come out in droves and support the team. Mediocre and you can't FORCE them to pay attention. It's an entire city of bandwagon fans. Incredible.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 09-23-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Tear it down and build it up, I understand.

What the Astros are doing deserves relegation.
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

16. Likes:

Always Red (09-23-2013), Caveat Emperor (09-23-2013), M2 (09-23-2013), REDREAD (09-24-2013), RiverRat13 (09-24-2013), Roy Tucker (09-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I heard this on the radio here Monday morning after the game (or tuesday...that week was a blur). Beyond pitiful.

But as I've said to numerous people...give the Astros 3-4 years. That's going to be a good club. They seem to be a club all about saving money...but they're more than willing to spend it too. Just waiting for the right time. That's one of the weird things about Houston too. If the team is good, they'll come out in droves and support the team. Mediocre and you can't FORCE them to pay attention. It's an entire city of bandwagon fans. Incredible.
    It's expensive to go to MLB games these days. There has got to be a compelling reason.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

18. Likes:

The Operator (09-25-2013)

I want to know, when or if the Astros do bounce back and are able to field a competitive team, just how many fans are they going to be able to win back? As the article says, they can't get anyone to pick up their TV network. They are so bad right now, and appear to be for the foreseeable future, how many fans can they get back on board?

20. Likes:

REDREAD (09-24-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It's expensive to go to MLB games these days. There has got to be a compelling reason.
    But the thread is about just WATCHING the ballgame. That's been a long theme in Houston too. Playoff caliber...tons of fans. Just out of playoff caliber...crickets. Bad club....dead crickets rapidly decomposing.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Luhnow should be canned by Selig himself.
    I don't understand the animosity directed at the Astros. It's not like they've been doing this for 10+ years. If they're still in this "phase" a few years from now, then they deserve the animosity. Right now? They're got a ways to go before I view them the same way I view the Marlins.

23. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?