Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This may have seemed crazy to think about a few weeks ago but...

This may have seemed crazy to think about a few weeks ago but...

if Ludwick struggles to end the season, would you consider starting Hamilton in CF and moving Choo to left for the playoffs? (Note: This may be an overreaction on my part to last nights game.)

Its a lot of pressure to put on the kid, but we also really dont know how he will respond. He seems fearless out there from what we've seen of him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This may have seemed crazy to think about a few weeks ago but...

I would consider it but I don't think Dusty will.

He's surely done great in the games that he's played, but I don't want to rely on him too much. I think using him as a pinch runner to continue to disturb opposing pitchers is the best tactic for the playoffs (esp. in a one game WC - if we don't win the division).

No, there is no chance you do this every night. Maybe you give Hamilton a start in a situation that looks particularly advantageous, though.

jvs

"Gotta play the vet, every time, dude. Younger players will get their chance soon enough, dude. Nevermind what is best for the team."
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I don't think it is clear that starting Hamilton over Ludwig is best for the team.

jvs

How u doin

My concern is that Ludwick willstruggle throuout the playoffs and then I will spend some time wondering what if we did start Billy Hamilton.

No concern that Hamilton will struggle throughout the playoffs, and then you will spend some time wondering what if we did start Ryan Ludwig?

jvs

Here is the real problem this poses, where do you bat Hamilton and Choo? If you bat Hamilton first, then Choo can't hit second because that creates back to back lefties in Choo and Votto which Dusty tries to avoid at all costs. The only open spot for Choo would be in the 7th hole which is way to far down the line up for him. Do you bat Hamilton second? That is a possibility but that means Hamilton is going to have to earn getting on base more because if Choo is already on and with Votto behind him, he isn't going to get walked very often.

Then you have to wonder if Hamilton is put on the playoff roster, if Ludwick is even on the list! Do you put him on there over Heisey who is better defensively?

The year or next you can't bat Hamilton behind Choo. Putting potentially an all-time great base stealer behind a guy who gets on 1st base 35-40% of the time doesn't make sense. I think Hamilton has to lead off if he plays and you bat Choo 2nd:
    B Ham
    Choo
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Cozart
    Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierReds View Post
    The year or next you can't bat Hamilton behind Choo. Putting potentially an all-time great base stealer behind a guy who gets on 1st base 35-40% of the time doesn't make sense. I think Hamilton has to lead off if he plays and you bat Choo 2nd:
    B Ham
    Choo
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Cozart
    Catcher
    That's not going to happen because Dusty won't put two lefties in a row in the line up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    That's not going to happen because Dusty won't put two lefties in a row in the line up.
    You sure bout that?

I wouldn't start out with Billy leading off next season if Choo is re-signed. Why put that pressure on him starting off? Bat him 8th (or never happen with Dusty but 9th and the pitcher 8th) and let him acclimate. As the game goes on he becomes a defacto leadoff man to Choo anyway, pressure is eased on him, and if his OBP and hitting holds up you can move him up down the road.

The chance of signing Choo remains slim, imo, so it's likely a moot point anyway.

I hate the thought of choo not being on this team

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You sure bout that?

Yes, it has been said over and over again that Dusty doesn't like batting two lefties in a row, especially with his best players, because it allows other teams to use situational lefty relief pitchers for more than one hitter without the Reds getting their own advantage of a lefty verses righty matchup between. Dusty would rather see the other team have to use multiple pitchers, sometimes of which means using their only lefty in the bullpen for just one hitter, or see the left hander have to face a right hander in between hitters in order to be used against two left handed hitters. This is one reason why Bruce hits 5th instead of cleanup behind Votto.

Turn Off Ads?