Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Week From Tonight...

"So Fla Red"

One Week From Tonight...

Now that the division is all but gone. One week from tonight we will all breathe a huge sigh of relief to advance to the NLDS or melt down the boards as a very bittersweet offseason will have officially begun.

This is really unchartered territory. Knowing that we have a full one week notice to prepare for a one game elimination baseball game in the most anything can happen in one game of professional sports. Very ironic that the Pirates/Reds will essentially be playing a three game series as windowdressing to the real game on Tuesday.

Beats the heck out of the Lost Decade, but Monday is going to feel like the longest off day in history.
    Last edited by oregonred; 09-25-2013 at 12:13 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: One Week From Tonight...

I am not ready for the season to be over. I know the team feels the same way.

Even if we won game seven of the World Series, I'd still wish there were a Reds game the next day.

4. Likes:

WVRedsFan (09-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    I am not ready for the season to be over. I know the team feels the same way.

Even if we won game seven of the World Series, I'd still wish there were a Reds game the next day.
    Just as long as it wasn't a day game...I'd need a bit to recover.

Never gonna happen, but I would love it if the League ruled that the weekend series between the Pirates and Reds was the wild card series, and the winner of that series advanced to the NLDS. No wild card game, just the weekend series to decide it.
    "I donít know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody".
    óBill Cosby

7. Likes:

Falcon7 (09-24-2013), WVRedsFan (09-24-2013)

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

It's the same thing every year. The end of the season come, and no matter if it's game 162 or a playoff loss, it's not enough for me. It takes four long months for spring training to get here and a couple more months for the season to start. It's torture. Many go to NFL worship or follow their college football team. Others wait for college round ball (I do that) or NASCAR, but even when I'm doing that, my mind is on winter meetings, and who we signed for the new season and I monitor here every day. So, for the last6 months, it's been Reds almost every day on TV, on radio, on Sirius, and it's going away. Depressing, but it would make winter so much more tolerable if we go deep into the playoffs. Fingers crossed.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

"So Fla Red"

One more start with Arroyo in a Reds uniform. Six more games of Shin-Soo Choo. Not ready to contemplate reality. Need to win the play-in game...

10. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-25-2013)

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    One more start with Arroyo in a Reds uniform. Six more games of Shin-Soo Choo. Not ready to contemplate reality. Need to win the play-in game...
    Walt will find a way to keep Choo at the expense of Bronson and a few others. So be it. Walt will find a way just like with Joey (and I hope the aliens bring him back before Tuesday)
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

"So Fla Red"

Feeling a bit more optimistic about Choo although I still think the payroll is tapped out for 2014 with arb raises and committed contracts. I just don't see how they can let him go, he is invaluable in the lineup, the fans love him and he seems to be at home.

Add Bailey to the list. That's another huge questionmark coming into 2014 if he doesn't sign a deal in the offseason.

I think we end up with one of Bailey/Choo long term best case. Hope I'm wrong.

So let's hope all these questions can wait a few more weeks...

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

The Reds are on a plane heading towards Atlanta.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

14. Likes:

oregonred (09-25-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Either way, failing to win the Central is a major disappointment for this team -- given the pre-season expectations.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

16. Likes:

goreds2 (09-25-2013)

8.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Sad. Don't even want to think about those two things.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Either way, failing to win the Central is a major disappointment for this team -- given the pre-season expectations.
    Not completely sure about that, but finishing third sure as hell would be a downer.

You're Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    This is a fair statement.

But preseason expectations did not include our ace and our clean-up hitter each missing 80% of the season. Throw in our key RH and LH set-up men both being essentially useless, in defiance of expectations.

I will grant that present-day me is still somehow disappointed with where we're at. But preseason me would have taken "guaranteed wild card" if he'd been told to expect THIS, instead of what we -- you know? -- actually expected.

Call me cocky, but there's just something about the Pirates that I don't quite fear. I'm looking forward to having a heated Death Grudge with them for the next couple years in the NL Central, a revival of stuff that apparently happened before I was born. I'm not trying to demean the organization. But in the short term (the next 8 days), I just don't feel like they are an organization of Gravitas.

We've got what is essentially a 4-game play-off (where the first 3 games don't count) with them.... last Friday's game was one of my most joyous moments as a baseball fan, and I'll just go and assume the Reds can do that at will against a team so insubstantial that they celebrate wild card berths with champagne.

I'm kind of hoping for the Braves to get the #1 seed. I think they can be handled in a 5-game series; I think they're easily the most offensively-inept playoff team in either league. So many strikeouts. So many Uptons. And their pitching is suspect, to say the least. Freddy Garcia is gonna be a post-season starter for them. 'Nuff said.

Rick

I never expected to win the NL Central. I thought they could, and I wanted them to contend. They did that, so it's hard to be too upset. But I also look back at so many blown opportunities this season -- so many losses where the starting pitcher absolutely dominated -- that finishing third would really stink.

How is the home field decided?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?