Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: If Boras gets his way, Choo likely won't be a Red.

Re: If Boras gets his way, Choo likely won't be a Red.

Well the 2 rumored teams to be interested in Choo have protected first round picks. I wonder if that will play into Walt's offer to Boras as we will only get a 2nd rounder from the Mets or Cubs

1. Astros
    2. Marlins
    3. White Sox
    4. Cubs
    5. Twins
    6. Mariners
    7. Phillies
    8. Rockies
    9. Blue Jays
    10. Mets
    11. Blue Jays (for failing to sign 2013 No. 10 pick Phil Bickford)
    12. Brewers
    13. Padres
    14. Giants
    15. Angels
    16. Diamondbacks
    17. Orioles
    18. Yankees
    19. Royals
    20. Nationals
    21. Reds
    22. Rangers or Rays
    23. Rangers or Rays
    24. Indians
    25. Dodgers
    26. Tigers
    27. Pirates
    28. Athletics
    29. Braves
    30. Red Sox
    31. Cardinals
    (via MLBTradeRumors)

Choo has been a bright spot in an otherwise dismal offense and has been the best leadoff hitter in the NL. With the Mets saying they will not go past 4 years, I would bite the bullet and offer 5 years with a little less on each year. Maybe that does it?
    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here are the teams I could see making a play for Choo:

4. Cubs
    6. Mariners
    7. Phillies

10. Mets

18. Yankees (depending on who they lose, ex Granderson)
    19. Royals (long shot but would be interesting move)

21. Reds
    22. Rangers

26. Tigers (depending on other moves)
    27. Pirates (if they don't want Byrd)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Here are the teams I could see making a play for Choo:

4. Cubs
    6. Mariners
    7. Phillies

10. Mets

18. Yankees (depending on who they lose, ex Granderson)
    19. Royals (long shot but would be interesting move)

21. Reds
    22. Rangers

26. Tigers (depending on other moves)
    27. Pirates (if they don't want Byrd)
    Yikes! Could you imagine if the Tigers got Choo? That offense is already insanely dangerous. Also, I couldn't imagine Choo betraying the Reds and going to the Pirates. Then again he could avoid getting plunked as many times as he has against them.

After the Hunter Pence contract, Choo is long gone. It's not even a consideration any more nor should it be. There's no way a team like the Reds can tie up $20mill a yr in an outfielder like Choo...and nor should they. That would send our payroll out of whack. It's been fun...let's hope we pocket a decent draft pick

6. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-30-2013), remdog (09-30-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    After the Hunter Pence contract, Choo is long gone. It's not even a consideration any more nor should it be. There's no way a team like the Reds can tie up $20mill a yr in an outfielder like Choo...and nor should they. That would send our payroll out of whack. It's been fun...let's hope we pocket a decent draft pick
    Unfortunately this is accurate. Choo is going to get close to Pence and the market just went up again with that extension. Ludwick, Broxton and BP are ~$31M alone for next season which mean 1/3rd of the payroll is gone right there. Counting Ludwick at 8.5+4.5M buyout option for '15... Terrible use of resources.

Even without Choo and Arroyo this payroll is already going to be over 100M again next season with the committed contracts and the arb eligibles.

All the offseason work needs to be on the long term plan for the rotation and finding a leadoff/CF.

Walt is definitely going to have to earn his money this offseason just to keep the team from losing more ground to the Pirates and Cardinals who have significantly more payflex.
    Last edited by oregonred; 09-30-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Nerdvana Annihilation

Choo will either be a Met or a Cub next year.

I think Choo will be a Yankee, just a gut feeling.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    .... you are also seeing 2 worn-out 30-something players in BP and Votto who are showing signs of cracking under the daily pressure or are simply not being pitched to anymore.
    Votto turned 30 twenty days ago. He's not thirty something.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Votto turned 30 twenty days ago. He's not thirty something.
    I was scratching my head over how he tied the performance of Votto and Phillips together.

I am probably being too hopeful, but I think that Choo is still in the realm of possibility.

Maybe make a trade or two to get some cash to afford him or give him a backloaded contract since we have a lot of money tied up in the next few years with Broxton, Marshall, and Chapman.

Any ideas what Latos, Bailey, Leake, LeCure, and Simon might command? I am trying to go a quick assessment of what next year's payroll might look like

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I am probably being too hopeful, but I think that Choo is still in the realm of possibility.

Maybe make a trade or two to get some cash to afford him or give him a backloaded contract since we have a lot of money tied up in the next few years with Broxton, Marshall, and Chapman.

Any ideas what Latos, Bailey, Leake, LeCure, and Simon might command? I am trying to go a quick assessment of what next year's payroll might look like

If we didn't sign Ludwick or Broxton, there could be a possibility. Man, broxton was the worst signing of the last 5 years...
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter

As it turns out, the Mets will have a top-10 draft pick -- meaning they will not need to forfeit their first-round selection if they sign a premium free agent such as Shin-Soo Choo.

Bidding for Shin-Soo Choo figures to exceed the Mets' appetite.

Still, a team insider said, with the exception of Choo, the Mets do not intend to pursue those types of free agents anyway (think outfielders Jacoby Ellsbury and Curtis Granderson). So the protected/unprotected issue was wasted energy to debate.

The Mets, according to an insider, also do not intend to offer more than a Michael Bourn-type contract for Choo, which means four guaranteed years. Their reasoning: Choo is not an exceptional fielder. And his power potential is not equivalent to outfielders who have received megadeals, such as Jayson Werth (seven years, $126 million in December 2010).

So if Scott Boras can do better -- and the bet is he can, especially with Hunter Pence getting five years and $90 million to stay with the San Francisco Giants -- Choo likely is headed elsewhere.
    Last edited by klw; 09-30-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Royals won't spend the money
    If it isn;t the Reds, the Yanks or Rangers would be okay by me - AL and first round pick but I'm betting the Cubs and Mariners really push for him, or the Phillies trying to get back in things. None of them lose a first rounder which makes the deal better for them.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Turn Off Ads?