Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ludwick: I'm calling fans out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Ludwick: I'm calling fans out

From Daugherty (so obviously take it with a grain of salt):

Ryan Ludwick, for one, blames you.

“Coming over here, I heard about how big a baseball town this is. We’ve put a
    winning ballclub out there’’ three of the last four years, said Ludwick. “This is a good team. When we went to Pittsburgh, they had an advantage. (Fans) were loud. A playoff atmosphere.’’

Ludwick said he had an epiphany of sorts Wednesday. With two outs in the Reds 9th, he heard a woman in the fifth row behind the home dugout, loudly taking the fans to task. “We have a great team and our fans f------ suck,’’ she said, according to Ludwick.

He said a Mets player raised similar issues Tuesday night: “You guys are in the middle of a pennant race and no one’s here. What’s going on?’’

Said Ludwick, “I might be be calling (fans) out. But I’m calling them out in a positive way. We want loud and energetic. It’s like a natural Red Bull. We need every positive aspect we can to keep this thing going.’"
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...-out-Reds-fans

This doesn't sound as menacing as Doc makes it out to be in his headline, but it's worth noting that at least one player isn't happy with the fan support down the stretch.

That being said, of all players to bring it up, it should have been one who can actually hit a baseball.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Ludwick: I'm calling fans out

I say give Reds fans something to be loud and energetic about, and they won't disappoint.
    sorry we're boring

3. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-25-2013),BuckeyeRedleg (09-25-2013),BurgervilleBuck (09-26-2013),CarolinaRedleg (09-26-2013),CoachBombay (09-26-2013),Degenerate39 (09-29-2013),DocRed (09-26-2013),Falls City Beer (09-25-2013),foxfire123 (09-25-2013),KittyDuran (09-25-2013),LexRedsFan (09-25-2013),membengal (09-25-2013),Old NDN (09-27-2013),OnBaseMachine (09-27-2013),RedEye (09-25-2013),Redsfansince72 (09-25-2013),Roy Tucker (09-25-2013),texasdave (09-25-2013),The Operator (09-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I say give Reds fans something to be loud and energetic about, and they won't disappoint.
    For me, that's it right there. This team has been so... I don't want to say inconsistent since the record proves that isn't necessarily so, but one series we'll get world series caliber play, then in the next two we'll get little leaguers. It's been hard for me to get, and stay, excited about this team since I just don't feel I can trust them to maintain a lead, get a lead, or keep a lead.

5. Likes:

Always Red (09-26-2013),KittyDuran (09-26-2013),remdog (09-28-2013)

Fire Brook Jacoby and there would be a lot of cheering and support coming from the reds fans.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Really? 90+ wins and fighting for playoff positioning isn't something to be loud and energetic about? What are you waiting for?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Really? 90+ wins and fighting for playoff positioning isn't something to be loud and energetic about? What are you waiting for?
    What am I waiting for?

I'm not waiting for anything, I bought 80 tickets this year and watch on TV every other game.

What I want, is to stop being blamed.

It's not up to Reds fans to create conditions that might induce players to play better. Isn't this the place where many think that baseball is not an emotional, rah rah game like football (or soccer, nodding to tomnuetten)? Actually yes, that's said here all the time. Every day.

Reds fans set a record this year, coming to see the Reds at GABP this year. So there's that. Reds fans are coming to the games.

There were what, 26,000 people there yesterday (on a Wednesday afternoon), waiting to get excited by something the Reds might do, supporting them. Is it the Reds fans fault that the team was hypnotized by a pitcher who has not been able to so to any other team in 5 years?

I don't have a problem with it one way or another. Not until I get blamed for not making enough noise. Is Ludwick saying the Reds would play better if they had more energetic fans? Yes that's exactly what I think he's saying.

I don't even have much of a problem with the Reds being shut down by Dice K, it happens and I know they're trying. But don't turn around and blame me, who is nothing more than a fan, because you got shut out.
    sorry we're boring

9. Likes:

1940757690 (09-26-2013),Boss-Hog (09-28-2013),BuckeyeRedleg (09-26-2013),foxfire123 (09-26-2013),joshua (09-26-2013),KittyDuran (09-26-2013),mdccclxix (09-27-2013),membengal (09-26-2013),OC_Red (09-26-2013),Plus Plus (09-27-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (09-26-2013),REDREAD (09-26-2013),remdog (09-28-2013),Roy Tucker (09-26-2013),texasdave (09-26-2013)

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

What am I waiting for?

I'm not waiting for anything, I bought 80 tickets this year and watch on TV every other game.

It's not up to Reds fans to create conditions that might induce players to play better. Isn't this the place where many think that baseball is not an emotional, rah rah game like football (or soccer, nodding to tomnuetten)? Actually yes, that's said here all the time. Every day.

Reds fans set a record this year, coming to see the Reds at GABP this year. So there's that. Reds fans are coming to the games.

There were what, 26,000 people there yesterday (on a Wednesday afternoon), waiting to get excited by something the Reds might do, supporting them. Is it the Reds fans fault that the team was hypnotized by a pitcher who has not been able to so to any other team in 5 years?

I don't have a problem with it one way or another. Not until I get blamed for not making enough noise. Is Ludwick saying the Reds would play better if they had more energetic fans? Yes that's exactly what I think he's saying.

I don't even have much of a problem with the Reds being shut down by Dice K, it happens and I know they're trying. But don't turn around and blame me, who is nothing more than a fan, because you got shut out.
    Money post.

11. Likes:

joshua (09-26-2013),KittyDuran (09-26-2013)

What am I waiting for?

A primary take away for me from Ryan's comments is the fans were vocal in Pittsburgh and that made it tougher on the Reds to win. He's asking for the same be placed before the Pirates this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    A primary take away for me from Ryan's comments is the fans were vocal in Pittsburgh and that made it tougher on the Reds to win. He's asking for the same be placed before the Pirates this weekend.
    But the Reds won 2 of 3 in that series despite the vocal PIT fans. Should they have been more vocal? If that's Ludwick's logic, I'm confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

14. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (09-26-2013),KittyDuran (09-26-2013),remdog (09-28-2013)

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Record attendance. Sorry we're not St. Louis.

I've been to a handful of games this year, and the place was pretty jacked up most of the time.

16. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (09-25-2013),Degenerate39 (09-29-2013),joshua (09-25-2013),KittyDuran (09-25-2013),Larkin Fan (09-25-2013),OnBaseMachine (09-27-2013)

You get paid millions of dollars to pretend you're playing in front of 42000 nightly.

Though I'm guessing these guys are merely doing the organization's bidding by hectoring fans.

Whatever. It's stupid and I'm tired of hearing about it.

18. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (09-25-2013),texasdave (09-25-2013)

Yeah, I'm going on Sunday and hopefully I'll get to see a team play like there's something on the line....and I'm not talking about the Pirates. Can't take the Mets and it's the fans fault.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 09-25-2013 at 08:53 PM.

20. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (09-25-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    F

That being said, of all players to bring it up, it should have been one who can actually hit a baseball.
    Ludwick was one of our major producers last year.

He's recovering from a serious shoulder ailment.

And I'm not sure why any of this is relevant to his point.

22. Likes:

Tommyjohn25 (09-26-2013)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Ludwick was one of our major producers last year.

He's recovering from a serious shoulder ailment.

And I'm not sure why any of this is relevant to his point.
    Because it came after a 1-0 bedwetting against the Mets. Worry about your production on the field before you worry about the production around it.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

24. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (09-27-2013),Rantly (09-27-2013),remdog (09-26-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Because it came after a 1-0 bedwetting against the Mets. Worry about your production on the field before you worry about the production around it.
    Ludwick didn't play today.

Turn Off Ads?