Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Ludwick: I'm calling fans out

Haunted by walks

Re: Ludwick: I'm calling fans out

Poor Luddy just wanted a playoff atmosphere for the big crucial final series. The Pirates popped the cork; the Reds didn't. That's all the guy wanted. Can't we let him have that?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    And again, I'm wondering how loud that Pirates crowd was in the 9th inning on Sunday, with the Reds up 11-3. I doubt it was too crazy.
    Sure, but if everyone had stayed and were cheering their heads off, would it have made the Pirates tie or even win the game?

I think if Ludwick wants to play someplace where a lot of fans go to the games and people make excuses for poor play he should go play for the Cubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

4. Likes:

OC_Red (09-26-2013),remdog (09-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    But the Reds won 2 of 3 in that series despite the vocal PIT fans. Should they have been more vocal? If that's Ludwick's logic, I'm confused.
    The results are what they are, no argument here. I'm simply saying a player on the field said it made his job more difficult.

CEO - Hal Morris Fanclub OC_Red's Avatar

Sorry, ok, he needs to be more concerned about his lack of run production at the plate. Better?

Sure, but if everyone had stayed and were cheering their heads off, would it have made the Pirates tie or even win the game?

I think if Ludwick wants to play someplace where a lot of fans go to the games and people make excuses for poor play he should go play for the Cubs.
    Seconded. And I like Ryan, but this kind of stuff is lame to bring up, even if he isn't trying to stir the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by OC_Red View Post
    Sorry, ok, he needs to be more concerned about his lack of run production at the plate. Better?
    I'd say it's better....certainly more accurate. However, you may not want to let the facts stand in the way of a good rant, so you'll have to answer the question for yourself.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

He could also go to Japan. Crazy noise there (horns, chants, whistles, firecrackers, etc.).

10. Likes:

Chip R (09-26-2013),mdccclxix (09-27-2013)

Fredo (Ryan), you're nothing to me now.

This idea that "baseball towns" would continue to draw huge crowds even if their team was lousy for a decade is laughable.

When I lived in North Jersey in the late 80s/early 90s I was given tickets to Yankees games all the time because people I knew with season tickets could not be bothered going. I remember going to Sunday game in 1990 or 1991 in September against the Red Sox with Roger Clemens pitching and there were maybe 20K people there. It was perfect weather, a weekend game against their biggest rival and we were asked to move from the upper deck to the lower deck because our section was so sparsely populated they did not want to have security or ushers having manage 5 people in a whole section of the stadium.

The reason of course was the Yankees were the worst team in baseball and had been a 90 loss team for a few year. It was, (and actually still is) a giant pain in the butt to drive to Yankee stadium with very limited parking and at the time it was not the safest area to hang out in. The result is a "great baseball town" in a metro area with 20million was drawing 12K people for weekday games in September. Fast forward 5 years later I could not get any tickets, guess why?

The bottom line is if you have a consistent winning team, with a stadium in a safe environment that is easy to get in and out of you will draw well. If you have things to do around the stadium as well that is a huge plus.

When the Cardinals go a decade without winning more than 80 games are still selling out meaningless September games I will by into that whole 'great fanbase' argument

13. Likes:

Always Red (09-27-2013),BuckeyeRedleg (09-26-2013),joshua (09-26-2013),KittyDuran (09-26-2013),OC_Red (09-26-2013),REDREAD (09-26-2013),Revering4Blue (09-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    I'd say it's better....certainly more accurate. However, you may not want to let the facts stand in the way of a good rant, so you'll have to answer the question for yourself.
    It's fun to cherry pick stats, I could give it a go if I wanted to I suppose, but I'm lazy and you know where baseball-reference is.

"Brother" has a -.8 WAR right now and a -.4 oWAR for the season. I love Ryan, I do, I hope he continues to get his groove back. I don't have much hope for alot of power out of that shoulder this year though.

But I'll let this die if you will. Wasn't expecting this much feedback on that topic, so thanks for the dialog!

What this thread is proving is that Red's fans are really defensive about something.

Quote Originally Posted by OC_Red View Post
    It's fun to cherry pick stats, I could give it a go if I wanted to I suppose, but I'm lazy and you know where baseball-reference is.

"Brother" has a -.8 WAR right now and a -.4 oWAR for the season. I love Ryan, I do, I hope he continues to get his groove back. I don't have much hope for alot of power out of that shoulder this year though.
    WAR is a cummulative stat. Ryan has only been in 35 games this year.
    Not really fair to use WAR.

Plus he's coming off a major injury.
    Ludwick worked his butt off to come back this season, I really don't think we should be piling on him this year. He could've easily just let himself be out for the year, and no one would've known the difference.

People can get bugged by this comment, but let's don't bring out the "But Ludwick sucks" argument... He's done a good job, considering what he's been through. Hopefully the power comes back next year. Even with no power, he's still a better bat than Heisey and Paul.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

17. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-26-2013),OC_Red (09-26-2013)

Ludwick when he is on is a force. I agree that even in his current state he's a better option in LF than XP or Heisey. I don't think he sucks at all.

I should have left it at my first post in this thread.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (09-26-2013)

Ludwick is both right and wrong.

He was wrong to call the fans out - that's not his job. And he and his team, when they go into one of their all-too-familiar offensive funks, doesn't give fans much to cheer for.

But, yes, Cincinnati fans are lame. The attendance continues to be pathetic, and too many of those that go couldn't care less about wins/losses. The loudest cheers come for the 11th strikeout which gives away free pizzas.

Even earlier this year, super fan Chuck D was chastised by the Reds for being too boisterous and loud when a whiney Cards fan complained (go figure).

Watch a game from San Francisco or Boston or even Texas. Those fans are on heard every pitch. When the opposing pitcher runs the count to 3-0 they're screaming on their feet. On the other hand, we barely clap for singles anymore.

I have an idea...The Reds trade Ludwick who I never wanted to be resigned to the team to anywhere that will take him for nothing other than debt relief...then sign Choo to any deal they can swing and put him in RF and move Bruce to LF with Hamilton in CF for the next five years or so.

Lots of other things would have to happen but that is what I would love to see from my armchair GM gig.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Turn Off Ads?