Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Ludwick: I'm calling fans out

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: Ludwick: I'm calling fans out

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Something like 15 games not on weekends since 1938 they have had 30k plus

That's weak

That's not a baseball town
    Can this be right? They're averaging more than 31K per game this season. Plus Opening Days, etc.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

If WOY decides your city is not a baseball town, is there some sort of deduction in the standings? Do you only get two outs an inning or something?

4. Likes:

BurgervilleBuck (09-26-2013), KittyDuran (09-25-2013), membengal (09-26-2013), REDREAD (09-26-2013), WMR (09-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    It isn't a baseball town. It's a football town with the aberration of the 70s. Get over it and win a world title. Players should be seen, paid, and not heard.
    Totally a football town, even in the 70s

Much ado about nothing.

Daugherty is doing what he does best, stirring crap up, and you guys are buying it hook, line and sinker.

Ludwick didn't call us terrible fans, didn't "blame" us for anything. He's trying to pump up the atmosphere, I don't really see what's wrong with that. Maybe he could've chosen his words more carefully, but still.

Besides, Cincinnati fans are notoriously fickle and awful anyways. I really don't have a problem with anything he said. The way most people have whined and complained throughout this entire season (despite another playoff appearance and 90 win season) proves his point. Some are telling Luddy to shut up and play, how about we shut up and enjoy the ride? This is a WINNING baseball team. Something I waited my whole life for. Appreciate it while it's here, it's going to be gone sooner or later.

7. Likes:

Griffey012 (09-25-2013), Gunner44 (09-25-2013), HeatherC1212 (09-26-2013), Hoosier Red (09-26-2013), Hubba (09-26-2013), IslandRed (09-26-2013), membengal (09-26-2013), Stingray (09-26-2013), Tommyjohn25 (09-26-2013)

Ludwick was whining a bit here, but he was just asking for help this weekend if you ask me.

"Ludwick blames you"
    "Ludwick: I'm calling fans out"

Neither are 100 percent accurate, especially the first quote. That is shameful.

I think his .650 OPS is driving the view of his comments. If Arroyo said this, it would be viewed as sage-like observation.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Can this be right? They're averaging more than 31K per game this season. Plus Opening Days, etc.
    Yeah. I also see multiple years over 30k per game in the 70s, a few in the 90s and 2000 after Jr. came over.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/redsatte.shtml
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

That's weak

I explained this in a different thread.

Cincinnati has the one, of not the smallest metropolitan areas of any MLB team. The only way they can get big crowds is from drawing in fans from surrounding areas, an hour or two away. Those fans simply don't have the time to go to a game on the weekdays, especially after school is out.

Reds draw per capita quite well on weekday games, if you count those that live close enough to go on a regular basis, and quite well in the weekends when you count everyone within two hours.

It's not that Cincinnati isn't a baseball city, it's that it's a very small baseball city.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Cincinnati has the one, of not the smallest metropolitan areas of any MLB team. The only way they can get big crowds is from drawing in fans from surrounding areas, an hour or two away. Those fans simply don't have the time to go to a game on the weekdays, especially after school is out.

Reds draw per capita quite well on weekday games, if you count those that live close enough to go on a regular basis, and quite well in the weekends when you count everyone within two hours.

It's not that Cincinnati isn't a baseball city, it's that it's a very small baseball city.
    Which is also why they do so well in TV and radio numbers.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I was at Riverfront for game one of the 1990 WS and for the clinching win of the the 1995 NLDS. It was electric.

What is a "baseball town anyway? Give the fans something to cheer about. So far, this club can't quite get over the hump. St. Louis? Sure. Must be tough to to be a Cards fan nowadays.

I know one thing. Cincinnati blew away everyone else in the 70's. It was a "baseball town". Funny how winning does such a thing. Of course, something bad happened along the way and the city was scarred by the strikes of '81 (best record in baseball, didn't make 8-team playoffs) and '94. Then came the decade of poo.

By the way, a 31,000 average is not too shabby for the 3rd smallest market in MLB. And I can guarantee this little hick town will draw more next year if this team can get over the hump. Now it's up to Ludwick and the boys to get r done.

13. Likes:

joshua (09-25-2013), remdog (09-27-2013), WMR (09-26-2013)

Eradi wrote an article about it last week
    I'm not sure you should stand by those numbers.

15. Likes:

RANDY IN INDY (09-25-2013)

Man Pills

Totally a football town, even in the 70s
    Right. I was just saying that baseball finally got some press in the 70s. It will always be a football town. How else can you explain Bengals fans doing the collective "Damien, it's all for you!" plunge to their deaths season after season after season.

Thank God for Louisville basketball. If all I had was the Reds I'd have to give up sports entirely. It's like surviving on saltines and 7Up.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yeah. I also see multiple years over 30k per game in the 70s, a few in the 90s and 2000 after Jr. came over.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/redsatte.shtml
    I just looked it up, and if my counting was sound, there were eight games on weekdays just this season that broke 30K.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

That's weak

This isn't close to right.
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

19. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (09-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    If WOY decides your city is not a baseball town, is there some sort of deduction in the standings? Do you only get two outs an inning or something?
    Nah it means nothing to anyone but me, I like labels if they are correct

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

I went to Tuesday night's game - didn't get home until 11:30 pm (30 miles away - only 20 miles on interstate) and went to bed after midnight. Luckily, I took today off to go to the day game.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 15-11
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

22. Likes:

757690 (09-25-2013)

Turn Off Ads?