Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Ludwick: I'm calling fans out

Re: Ludwick: I'm calling fans out

I'd let Ludwick get as many bats as possible today.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    In general and relatively speaking, Cincy crowds are passive. Baseball and football. It's a place that does not unify well.
    Generally speaking Cincy crowds, in both baseball and football haven't exactly had a whole lot to get all unified about for most of their adult lives.

It's a chicken and egg thing and everyone has their own opinions but I think it's a bit of a reach to think fans are going to be like Green Bay Packer Cheeseheads before the team has a Green Bay Packer trophy case.

4. Likes:

KYRedsFan (09-29-2013),MattyHo4Life (09-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    In the paper today it said that, when asked, several "prominent" Reds agreed with Ludwick's comments but never would have said it themselves, subscribing to the WWJD (J=Jeter) approach - don't make waves - of media and fan relations.
    Not a surpise. Ludwick doesn't have a history of being a malcontent. Thought all along he felt the need to say something in light of similar sentiments being expressed in the clubhouse.

6. Likes:

Always Red (09-29-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

In general and relatively speaking, Cincy crowds are passive. Baseball and football. It's a place that does not unify well.
    I don't know about that, I've been to Bears, Cubs and White Sox games over the years and the crowds there are about the same as Cincinnati crowds- win and they're loud and raucous, lose and they're pretty quiet. Especially Sox games, but the last time I was there was over 10 years ago.

I was at the game yesterday, the only time the crowd got excited was bases loaded in the 1st (fizzle) and the Bruce double high off the wall in left center.

It was a sellout, but I swear there were no more than 25-30k in their seats at one time. Why? I think there is so much to do and see at the park now other than the actual game, and the Banks right next door. With the Banks, I'd bet there are people every single game who don't even leave the bars to go over to the game.

My preference is to sit and watch baseball; I've discovered that many people actually find that boring (I know, I can't believe it either). The younger crowd seems to prefer more stimulation from various sources. My 18 yo daughter watched about half the game with me, then we got up and walked around and got some "real food" and then we sat again and watched the 8th and 9th.
    sorry we're boring

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    Generally speaking Cincy crowds, in both baseball and football haven't exactly had a whole lot to get all unified about for most of their adult lives.

It's a chicken and egg thing and everyone has their own opinions but I think it's a bit of a reach to think fans are going to be like Green Bay Packer Cheeseheads before the team has a Green Bay Packer trophy case.
    As a 29-year-old Cincinnati sports fan (I root for the Reds, Bengals and Bearcats), for all of my "full memory" life, all I have known is heartbreaking disappointment from Cincinnati sports. When we are good enough to do very well, Kenyon Martin breaks his leg, Ken Griffey Jr goes through a series of injuries unlike anyone has ever seen for 58 years in a row, Carson Palmer blows his knee out in the first offensive playoff snap the organization has seen in 15 years, getting no-hit in the first playoff game in 15 years, blowing a 2-0 lead with 3 straight home games. Not that it would have mattered, because they would have been massacred, but UC should have played for a football national title, but somehow Texas got time put back on the clock to make a game winning field goal that left them ranked 3rd.

I still strongly stand by the article that C Trent wrote last year before game 5. My generation, we felt like "oh, this crap again". It is all we have ever really known and experienced. That is how just about everyone I know felt. The generation that is just a few years older than me may have different feelings. They got to see Reds baseball winning playoff series and World Series (at least one). They got to see the Bengals win games in the playoffs and go to at least one Super Bowl. Me? I barely remember 1995. What I do remember is incredible disappointment. Over and over and over.

With that said, Ryan Ludwick or anyone else on this team doesn't have a clue about that. They aren't Cincinnati fans. They didn't grow up here. They didn't live here.

Still, I root for them. I will always root for them (unless they of course move). But I get the hesitation by the fans.

9. Likes:

Always Red (09-29-2013),alwaysawarrior (09-29-2013),Falls City Beer (09-29-2013),foxfire123 (09-29-2013),Homer Bailey (09-30-2013),KYRedsFan (09-29-2013),MattyHo4Life (09-30-2013),OC_Red (09-29-2013),oregonred (09-29-2013),Wonderful Monds (09-29-2013)

PS- the loudest 2 sporting events I've ever been to were both Reds WS games- the 7th game of the 1972 Series, and game 2 of the 1990 WS. The place was literally shaking.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    As a 29-year-old Cincinnati sports fan (I root for the Reds, Bengals and Bearcats), for all of my "full memory" life, all I have known is heartbreaking disappointment from Cincinnati sports. When we are good enough to do very well, Kenyon Martin breaks his leg, Ken Griffey Jr goes through a series of injuries unlike anyone has ever seen for 58 years in a row, Carson Palmer blows his knee out in the first offensive playoff snap the organization has seen in 15 years, getting no-hit in the first playoff game in 15 years, blowing a 2-0 lead with 3 straight home games. Not that it would have mattered, because they would have been massacred, but UC should have played for a football national title, but somehow Texas got time put back on the clock to make a game winning field goal that left them ranked 3rd.

I still strongly stand by the article that C Trent wrote last year before game 5. My generation, we felt like "oh, this crap again". It is all we have ever really known and experienced. That is how just about everyone I know felt. The generation that is just a few years older than me may have different feelings. They got to see Reds baseball winning playoff series and World Series (at least one). They got to see the Bengals win games in the playoffs and go to at least one Super Bowl. Me? I barely remember 1995. What I do remember is incredible disappointment. Over and over and over.

With that said, Ryan Ludwick or anyone else on this team doesn't have a clue about that. They aren't Cincinnati fans. They didn't grow up here. They didn't live here.

Still, I root for them. I will always root for them (unless they of course move). But I get the hesitation by the fans.
    Ludwick made a point of the fact that he was a long time Reds fan when he first came here, saying he had always wanted to play for his favorite team. He mentioned Eric Davis as one of his baseball heroes, so he does remember the 90 WS Championship.

It has been tough sledding, sports wise, here but things are looking up. Reds and Bengals are both much better than they have been, Cronin has stabilized UC BB, and UC football has had an unprecedented run.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

FWIW, the Bengals organization have always deserved whatever had happens to them.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    At this rate we'll be Louisville fans next year.
    I refuse to cheer for Louisville in anything. Give me Pensacola or Dayton, please.

Ludwick will shine when it's playoff time.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

How u doin

I am going to take alot of Heat for this but if it had been Joey Votto that called out the fans the fans reaction would be totally the opposite of the way Ludwick is getting bashed. ( just my opinion)

Thought there were thousands of more fans there today than I would have expected, all things considered and all that there was else to do today. Doubt it mattered to Ryan Ludwick.

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    Thought there were thousands of more fans there today than I would have expected, all things considered and all that there was else to do today. Doubt it mattered to Ryan Ludwick.
    Fan Appreciation Day is usually a good crowd regardless of the team record.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Ludwick struggles against good pitching = under .200 in playoffs

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan08 View Post
    I am going to take alot of Heat for this but if it had been Joey Votto that called out the fans the fans reaction would be totally the opposite of the way Ludwick is getting bashed. ( just my opinion)
    They'd bash Joey for being an out-of-touch multi-millionaire who isn't living up to his contract.

Of course, they do that anyway without him talking.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?