Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any similarities to 1990?

Re: Any similarities to 1990?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    They played .500 ball for a really long stretch that year.

I don't think it's that similar to this year though, because even though I was only 9 I still had the sense the team was just coasting in 1990 after the huge start.

This team couldn't afford to coast, and they just weren't quite good enough to win the division.
    Pretty hard to coast when you are in 3rd place all year long.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 09-26-2013 at 02:11 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The 90 team was 5 games up with six games left, going into that San Diego home series. They clinched when the Dodgers lost two in a row to the Giants so technically they "backed in". I'm sure that team wanted to clinch in front of their fans, but under the circumstances i doubt they had it floored. At that point they were getting ready for Pittsburgh.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Pretty hard to coast when you are in 3rd place all year long.
    Yep, very different year from 1990, in feel.

Last year actually felt a bit like 1990 to me during the regular season. They had the monster stretch, it just wasn't at the beginning, and they coasted to the division title pretty easily. I just hope that wasn't their best chance at a World Series with this group.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

5. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-26-2013), Revering4Blue (09-26-2013)

The only way the 2013 could compare is to win the World Series. Other than that not much to compare between the two.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Stat geek...and proud

If Twitter and Redszone existed in 1990, people's heads would be exploding when that 11 game lead got down to 3.5 on 9/21. Heck, how many chicken littles were saying the Nats were going to catch us when they got it down to 4 with, what, 12 to play? I used to listen to Extra Innings after the games most nights (hey I was 12, I didn't know better) and I remember the natives getting a little restless.
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/24/14. I promise.

8. Likes:

KittyDuran (09-26-2013), REDREAD (09-26-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    If Twitter and Redszone existed in 1990, people's heads would be exploding when that 11 game lead got down to 3.5 on 9/21. Heck, how many chicken littles were saying the Nats were going to catch us when they got it down to 4 with, what, 12 to play? I used to listen to Extra Innings after the games most nights (hey I was 12, I didn't know better) and I remember the natives getting a little restless.
    Exactly. I think a couple of people thought I was trying to disparage that team. Not at all. Just recalling how it was. It feels like it was just yesterday. Hard to believe that was 23 years ago.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Although things may have gotten scary at times, the 1990 Reds went wire to wire. I remember because that's when I learned that expression. How many days did the Reds spend in first place this season?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    The 1990 team had old school veterans. Ronny Oyster, Billy Doran, Hatcher.

The 1990 team had a old school manager, Lou.

The 1990 team had team leaders, Davis, Larkin, Dibble, Browning, Hatcher, that played their best when the lights were the brightest.

The 2013 team does not have any of this.
    I don't agree with this.
    Votto OPSed 889 last year's postseason, despite recovering from a bad knee.
    Ludwick OPSed 1.062 last year's postseason.
    Bruce 890 OPS last postseason
    Phillips 985 OPS.
    Arroyo stepped up big.

There's your core of vets/leaders not wilting in the postseason last year.
    The key is going to be Homer, Latos, and the bullpen.
    The offense is really going to be fine, IMO. Probably not as good as last year's postseason, as the opposition's pitching is good, but we have a nice defense and good offense. The entire question is going to be.. Can the Reds pitching staff match the opposition?

And Dusty is an old school manager
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I don't agree with this.
    Votto OPSed 889 last year's postseason, despite recovering from a bad knee.
    Ludwick OPSed 1.062 last year's postseason.
    Bruce 890 OPS last postseason
    Phillips 985 OPS.
    Arroyo stepped up big.

There's your core of vets/leaders not wilting in the postseason last year.
    The key is going to be Homer, Latos, and the bullpen.
    The offense is really going to be fine, IMO. Probably not as good as last year's postseason, as the opposition's pitching is good, but we have a nice defense and good offense. The entire question is going to be.. Can the Reds pitching staff match the opposition?

And Dusty is an old school manager
    I hope you're right, but I can't imagine anything but offense being the chief concern going into the playoffs.

13. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-26-2013)

Man Pills

This team has shown no ability to string together streaks of dominance. It could start now. Hamilton's a great unknown after all. But I wouldn't bet on it. About the best outcome I can see is a trip to the NLCS. Which would be fine. Great in fact.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Yep, very different year from 1990, in feel.

Last year actually felt a bit like 1990 to me during the regular season. They had the monster stretch, it just wasn't at the beginning, and they coasted to the division title pretty easily. I just hope that wasn't their best chance at a World Series with this group.
    I too worry that the team could be at the end of a window (not "the" window) a la the 2010 Phillies. But whatever. Winning the WS is hard and chance is cruel. The bottom line is the organization is trying to field a winner and they've been successful. I want to win it all, but I can't fault the organization for what they've put together.

No similarities to 1990. I had no doubts that club would win the World Series. I lack confidence this team will win one game.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    No similarities to 1990. I had no doubts that club would win the World Series. I lack confidence this team will win one game.
    Really? I was worried as heck about Pittsburgh going in. After game 1 vs. Oakland was the first time I really thought the Reds were going to win.

I've got a good feeling about this team IF they get past the coin flip game. They've had adversity all season and always bounced back.

I hate the one game play in. Should be best of 3 at minimum.
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/24/14. I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Have trouble believing that. Pittsburgh was scary-good, and Oakland was deemed "unbeatable." I know of no one -- among dozens of friends who are Reds fans -- who expected what happened. Made it all that much more sweet.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Have trouble believing that. Pittsburgh was scary-good, and Oakland was deemed "unbeatable." I know of no one -- among dozens of friends who are Reds fans -- who expected what happened. Made it all that much more sweet.
    I remember being more worried about Pittsburgh than Oakland.

20. Likes:

Always Red (09-29-2013)

Turn Off Ads?