Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the unbalanced schedule unfair...

Re: Is the unbalanced schedule unfair...

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I assume you mean "were not one of the top 3 teams"?

Actually, when you look at the run differential leaders in the NL, it's hard to argue we weren't one of the top 3 teams.

Cards +172
    Braves +127
    Reds +119
    Dodgers +59
    Pirates +47
    Nats +25

Actually, the pythag numbers as well as BP's adjusted standings reflect that the Reds underachieved in terms of wins and losses this year. BP's Second and Third Order Wins project that the Reds "should" have the best record in the National League. The pythag numbers above reflect that the Reds "should" have better records than the Dodgers and Pirates, by a healthy margin, but they don't.

The Reds may be one of the top three teams, but not where it counts -- in the W/L column. They need to focus on this in making decisions for next year.

As for the unbalanced schedule, I dislike it. I think playing 18 or 19 games against any single team is ridiculous. (Last year this was a big benefit to the Reds, but still I dislike it.) I also think there are too many differences in schedule among teams in the same division.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-26-2013 at 01:18 PM.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (09-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

It is unfair that the Yankees can spend $200 million per year on salary while other markets are not able to support that sort of spending.
    It is unfair that the Cubs and Dodgers can drop massive amounts on Cuban players because they can afford to eat a contract if the player fails.
    It is unfair that Seattle has to travel so much more for its games than the Yankees.
    It is unfair that Mike Trout is not on the Reds.
    It is unfair that Sarah Michelle Gellar was never nominated for an Emmy for her work on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
    It is unfair that Chuck had to fight for renewal constantly but Private Practice was on the air for 38 years.
    It is unfair that Angel Hernandez and CB Bucknor can be umpires in games which will have meaning.
    It is unfair that a tree fell on my tomato garden right before the tomatoes started to ripen.
    It is unfair that the Cubs uniforms get any praise.
    It is unfair the the Vida Blue trade was rejected by the commissioner's office.
    It is unfair that Jeffrey Loria is allowed to own a franchise.
    It is unfair that ambidextrous pitchers can not change which arm they will pitch with in the middle of an at bat.
    It is unfair that in 1999 the Reds had the best record in the NL against NL teams but did not make the playoff.
    It is unfair that Junior had injuries.
    It is unfair that teams open in the snowbelt in April and play day games in Texas and Arizona in July.
    It is unfair that Food and Drink is so expensive at a stadium but you are not allowed to take your own in with you.
    Last edited by klw; 09-26-2013 at 01:16 PM.

5. Likes:

Brutus (09-26-2013), dougdirt (09-26-2013), Norm Chortleton (09-26-2013), RED VAN HOT (09-26-2013), RedFanAlways1966 (09-26-2013), Tom Servo (09-26-2013), wpenn4 (09-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Sure there is. Dump interleague play.
    With 15 NL teams and 15 AL teams this is not possible. They would have to move yet another team to the other division. That is why we played the Angels the first series of the season. There will always be at least 1 interleague game at any point of the season.

What's unfair is being this handsome and athletic, but we all have our own crosses to bare
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

8. Likes:

MillerTime58 (09-26-2013)

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

It is unfair that Chuck had to fight for renewal constantly but Private Practice was on the air for 38 years.
    TV nerd moment: Chuck was on the air for five years, PP was only on the air for six. I get what you're trying to say but you might want to pick a better analogy next time, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    TV nerd moment: Chuck was on the air for five years, PP was only on the air for six. I get what you're trying to say but you might want to pick a better analogy next time, LOL
    6?

It seemed like 36.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    With 15 NL teams and 15 AL teams this is not possible. They would have to move yet another team to the other division. That is why we played the Angels the first series of the season. There will always be at least 1 interleague game at any point of the season.
    Contract the Cards and the Yankees and Boom!!! were are there.

12. Likes:

757690 (09-26-2013), joshua (09-26-2013), REDREAD (09-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Yes but PP was a contemporary of Chuck's. Also only two of Chuck's season were full 20 + episodes and just season two was written with a full season in mind. It was a great show throughout. Private Practice was painful to watch from the first scene of the first episode (though my wife somehow kept on) and was kept alive to placate Shondra Rhimes but I probably could have found something even worse that lasted longer.

It is unfair how many ferry accidents there are in Seattle. (per Grey's)
    It is unfair how many natural disasters hit Seattle and Chicago in May (according to TV dramas at any rate)
    It is unfair that the Rays signed an awful lease 20 years ago and are stuck in that joke of a stadium.
    It is unfair that slow guys can't use really long gloves in the outfield.
    It is unfair that the two leagues do not have the same DH or no DH rule.
    Last edited by klw; 09-26-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    What's unfair is being this handsome and athletic, but we all have our own crosses to bare
    you really have low self esteem, don't you

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    you really have low self esteem, don't you
    His only real propblem is that he's a compulsive liar....

His only real propblem is that he's a compulsive liar....
    Only if modesty is a lie, not a courtesy.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

It's not the unbalanced schedule that's a problem, it's the combination of an unbalanced schedule and Interleague play that causes extreme inequities in team's schedules.

And a much bigger problem has always been the ridiculous "natural rivals" that exist in Interleague play. For years, the Csrds got to play as many as nine games a year against the hapless a Royals, while the Reds has to play the Indians. Honestly, who, before Interleague play, considered the Indians a rival do the Reds? Even in NY, Mets fans don't consider the Yankees their rival, in fact many NY consider the other NY team their second favorite team.

If you're going to have Interleague play, you need or balance out the schedules for the intraleague games. This has always been a big problem.

And BTW, the reason why the Yankees won't make the playoffs isn't because do the unbalanced schedule. It's because they spent hundreds of millions on old aging vets instead of investing in their farm system.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

I assume you mean "were not one of the top 3 teams"?

Good post, but I meant "the top 2 teams".. as in old school, two division winners.

Run differential is a useful tool, but I don't think the gap between Pitt and Cincy is as wide as run diifferential makes it appear to be. Especially now, after the Byrd and Morneau acquisions. IMO, to close to call whether Pitt or Cincy is the better team. It's a very small margin of difference.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Honestly, who, before Interleague play, considered the Indians a rival do the Reds? .
    John Allen did, because it sold more tickets
    He started this whole thing. I think it was in 1999, he got permission to trade 3 games with the Royals(?) for 3 more games with the Indians.
    Other owners saw the dollar signs and it became a tradition.

Not a Allen bashing post, just a bit of history on how this came to be.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

20. Likes:

757690 (09-26-2013)

Team salaries are more to blame than anything. Should be a salary cap AND a salary minimum. It's crap that the NY Yankees and the LA Yankees (yes I said it) buy playoff spots. But it's also crap that teams like Houston spend less than $25M to build a "quality" team. I know Houston is rebuilding. Technically, all teams are work in progress. Put together a decent team each year or sell/move the team to someone/somewhere that will invest in them. If the salaries are more in check, the talent levels will be closer and it will be a fairer fight.

Turn Off Ads?