Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the unbalanced schedule unfair...

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: Is the unbalanced schedule unfair...

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    6?

It seemed like 36.
    Yup, it was just six seasons and the last one wasn't even a full season so really the show was only on for 5.5 years.

I will say that it's not fair that Happy Endings was treated like garbage by ABC and got cancelled after three seasons because there sure seem to be an awful lot of fans upset that it's not on the air anymore (myself included). The ratings system SUCKS for broadcast television.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Yup, it was just six seasons and the last one wasn't even a full season so really the show was only on for 5.5 years.

I will say that it's not fair that Happy Endings was treated like garbage by ABC and got cancelled after three seasons because there sure seem to be an awful lot of fans upset that it's not on the air anymore (myself included). The ratings system SUCKS for broadcast television.
    I blame the MLB unbalanced schedule and Interleague play on Happy Endings getting canceled
    "I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody".
    —Bill Cosby

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I blame the MLB unbalanced schedule and Interleague play on Happy Endings getting canceled
    Hey, that works for me too!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

8.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Those is exactly what needs to happen. When the Rays, O's and Jays were all horrible there were no complaints to be heard anywhere from the east coast about scheduling.

Getting rid of interleague play would be amazing. I'd have to commend Bud for undoing at least some of the damage he's done.

The only way to accomplish a fair schedule would be to get rid of interleague, get rid of divisions and changing the amount of games played in the regular season. Top four in each league make playoff, scheduling is based on records. I'd love to see this happen just to see what new rivalries would pop up.
    I disagree with dumping interleague play. There's a way to make it work... at least better than it does now. I'd rather see them keep tweaking the format than dump it. It gives us all an opportunity to see the best players in the game in our parks every so often. I would have loved to have the opportunity to see George Brett or Rod Carew come to Riverfront Stadium in my youth.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I disagree with dumping interleague play. There's a way to make it work... at least better than it does now. I'd rather see them keep tweaking the format than dump it. It gives us all an opportunity to see the best players in the game in our parks every so often. I would have loved to have the opportunity to see George Brett or Rod Carew come to Riverfront Stadium in my youth.
    The World Series?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

7. Likes:

Big Klu (09-26-2013)

8.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    or is this just whining by mediots that their beloved Yankees missed the playoffs?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/u...rd-race-092213
    I think that's exactly what it is, Chip.

It can be unfair, but it's been that way every year for different teams. It's unfair in the NFL, too, but you still gotta overcome it.

It's pretty ripe having someone argue in defense of the Yankees, though. I don't think he's going to get much sympathy for a team that has bought its way to the playoffs on occasion. Want to talk about unfair...
    Rounding third and heading for home...

What if we did this:

Balance the schedule and shorten it (casual and non-fans hate the long season anyway):
    1 2-game series vs. opposite league = 2x15= 30 games
    3 3-game series vs. same league = 9x14= 126 games
    156 game season = one week shorter season, and schedule is balanced to cut that gripe.

Do away with divisions, no point with the balanced schedule.

#5 plays best of 3 series at #4 (the whole series at their place)
    Winner then plays best of 5 at #1 (the whole series)
    #3 plays #2 in a HH-AA-H series same as now
    LCS and WS same as now

Reward the top team in the LDS with up to 5 home games, while "punishing" the 5th place team with no home games before the LCS should they make it.

The "WC" series and LDS would take up the current final week of the season, finishing up early October, setting up a mid October start to the World series.

Would this be too crazy an idea?
    Is it "next season" yet?

Surprised Heather hasn't said it, so I will...sucks for O's fans as much as Yanks fans. Just saying.

It was a brutally unfair schedule in Baltimore this year, way crazy unbalanced as compared to what the Rangers and Indians, by comparison had to navigate.

11. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-27-2013)

One team is 44-42 vs. teams outside their own division, the other is 38-48. Anyone want to guess which 2 teams they are and which one still has a chance at a wild card?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Pretty much all TV shows on network TV are crap IMO.

It's boring that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Team salaries are more to blame than anything. Should be a salary cap AND a salary minimum. It's crap that the NY Yankees and the LA Yankees (yes I said it) buy playoff spots. But it's also crap that teams like Houston spend less than $25M to build a "quality" team. I know Houston is rebuilding. Technically, all teams are work in progress. Put together a decent team each year or sell/move the team to someone/somewhere that will invest in them. If the salaries are more in check, the talent levels will be closer and it will be a fairer fight.
    If playoffs started today only 3 out of top 10 payroll teams are in playoffs. 3 out of bottom 5 payrolls are.

You can not buy championships and really never could. Reason being you can not buy good draft picks and player development. Yankees won when they developed a large number of great players, not when they started spending on every free agent that hit the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    What if we did this:

Balance the schedule and shorten it (casual and non-fans hate the long season anyway):
    1 2-game series vs. opposite league = 2x15= 30 games
    3 3-game series vs. same league = 9x14= 126 games
    156 game season = one week shorter season, and schedule is balanced to cut that gripe.

Do away with divisions, no point with the balanced schedule.

#5 plays best of 3 series at #4 (the whole series at their place)
    Winner then plays best of 5 at #1 (the whole series)
    #3 plays #2 in a HH-AA-H series same as now
    LCS and WS same as now

Reward the top team in the LDS with up to 5 home games, while "punishing" the 5th place team with no home games before the LCS should they make it.

The "WC" series and LDS would take up the current final week of the season, finishing up early October, setting up a mid October start to the World series.

Would this be too crazy an idea?
    The whole point of divisions is to create regional rivalries. Get rid of divisions, and you homogenize the product just a little more.

If you get rid of divisions, you're starting down the slippery slope of getting rid of leagues, and then getting rid of playoffs altogether.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

17. Likes:

RadfordVA (09-27-2013)

Any system that keeps the yankees out is a good system.

If you ditch unbalanced play you need to also ditch divisions, no team is going to go for a system where they can finish in 15th place.
    Go Gators!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    With 15 NL teams and 15 AL teams this is not possible. They would have to move yet another team to the other division. That is why we played the Angels the first series of the season. There will always be at least 1 interleague game at any point of the season.
    Why isn't it possible? Each team plays the same 14 opponents in the league. Have a heavier portion of those games be in division. Outside of division face each team an equal number of times both home and away.

162 is not set in stone. To be honest, it should be reduced with them expanding the playoffs.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Turn Off Ads?