Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bud Selig to retire

Re: Bud Selig to retire

....I'll go against the grain.

I don't care about interleague play. I'm a traditionalist so I would rather not have it, but it's not unmanageable.

The all star game determining home field advantage is kind of a lark. I'm 50/50 on it.

The umpires are FAR better than they were when Bud came in.

Revenue sharing isn't equitable, but it's much closer than it was. The tax on salaries does tend to drag the yankees (and eventually the dodgers) down. Sooner or later those clubs will get tired of handing the astros a check to have somebody to play against and the rules will get even better.

I hate what happened with Loria and the expos and the Marlins, but I do like baseball in DC.

While nobody likes political blackmail, the new stadiums ARE better than the old ones.

The owners are making money hand over fist. From their perspective Bud was a spectacular success.

The trend for more playoff teams didn't stem from Bud. I don't think it's fair to blame it on him. Baseball does send far fewer teams to it's tournament and I think that's the way it should be.

PED's were and are a disgrace to the game, but boy did the fans sure show up.

You don't hear too much about labor strife with the union anymore. That certainly was not true when Bud took the commissioners seat.

Draft Cap.

The world baseball thingee during spring training.

I'm a fan, but Pete deserves what he got.

All in all, I think Bud's term was a rousing success. I really do. Particularly when you consider that the position serves at the request of the owners. I think the game is in much better shape than it was when he took the job.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Likes:

mth123 (09-27-2013), REDREAD (09-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I doubt it will be anyone as interesting as we'd like. Probably another employee of the owners.
    Absolutely. Bud kept the job for 2 decades because he was delivering the results that the owners wanted. He is now the archetype for commisioners of the sport.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

I honestly think there will be a strong push for him by owners.
    He's the first name that popped into my head. Supposedly he had a good amount of support within baseball for the job when Selig still had the interim tag and before he became governor. That info comes from an article I read a long time ago but I think I have the basics right.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Absolutely. Bud kept the job for 2 decades because he was delivering the results that the owners wanted. He is now the archetype for commisioners of the sport.
    Honest question: do we, as fans, want what the owners want?

I realize the owners hire the commish to act in their interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post
    He's the first name that popped into my head. Supposedly he had a good amount of support within baseball for the job when Selig still had the interim tag and before he became governor. That info comes from an article I read a long time ago but I think I have the basics right.
    He is good friends with at least three baseball owners in the form of Bob Castellini, Bob DeWitt, and Nolan Ryan.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Ba Bye

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    It took post 17.

If the over under was 10 posts I would have taken under.
    Unfortunately, Pete took the under as well. He now owes me a new Muenchen's recliner.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

10. Likes:

George Anderson (09-26-2013), Norm Chortleton (09-26-2013), Tom Servo (09-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    He oversaw expanded playoffs, a boom in attendance and tv dollars, the end of the superstation domination of baseball on tv.

4 new teams created.

Off the top of my head 12 new ballparks built.

Toughest drug testing in sports (and yeah, he turned just as blind an eye as the owners/GM's did) and even suspended an MVP.

Strict new draft cap rules.

A focus on promoting the game worldwide. Baseball World Cup.

Like him or not. Name another commissioner that accomplished more. You'll be hard pressed to find one. Certainly not in the last 50 years.

Admittedly he wasn't directly responsible for all of this. But history will paint it that way. He'll get in the HOF for it too.
    Pete Rozelle and Paul Tagliabue say "Hi." If you meant baseball commissioners, well originally it wasn't the commissioner's job to grow the sport of baseball. Judge Kennessaw Mountain Landis was appointed to provide oversight of the game to make sure things were on the up and up after the "Black Sox" scandal. The commissioner's job didn't morph into being the CEO of MLB until much more recently.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Bob Costas!

13. Likes:

Falcon7 (09-26-2013), joshua (09-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    He is good friends with at least three baseball owners in the form of Bob Castellini, Bob DeWitt, and Nolan Ryan.
    He would be the man if you really want someone dumber than Bud.

15. Likes:

foxfire123 (09-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Pete Rozelle and Paul Tagliabue say "Hi." If you meant baseball commissioners, well originally it wasn't the commissioner's job to grow the sport of baseball. Judge Kennessaw Mountain Landis was appointed to provide oversight of the game to make sure things were on the up and up after the "Black Sox" scandal. The commissioner's job didn't morph into being the CEO of MLB until much more recently.
    Exactly. The role of the Commissioner is to protect the sport from the short sidedness and greed of the owners. But when the Commissioner is one of the owners, then he really no longer is a Commissioner.

I could give a flying fig how many people watch baseball or how much money it makes. I want the game to be the best and fairest game it can be. That is what a Commissioner should be focused on. Nothing, absolutely nothing Selig did helped baseball become a better or fairer game. In fact, most of his accomplishments have done the opposite, all in order to make more money for the owners.

Baseball is hard to ruin, but Bud Selig sure tried his best to do just that.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

17. Likes:

Falcon7 (09-26-2013), joshua (09-27-2013)

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

How long has Selig really been retiring.. Kind of Farve like. Well my vote would be for Torre.. Cincinnati ties and I know he would do whats right for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Nothing, absolutely nothing Selig did helped baseball become a better or fairer game. In fact, most of his accomplishments have done the opposite, all in order to make more money for the owners.
    I'll agree with the second sentence, but the first one goes too far.

The umpires do a much better job than they did 20 years ago. Baseball is much more watchable now that the umpires are no longer on edge about being questioned. They get it right even if it means reversing the original call, that was unthinkable 15 years ago.

The "salary tax" does act as a very real drag on high salary teams and redistributes their income theoretically so low income teams can get better. Now, it really isn't Bud's fault that low income teams can pocket what they get from the tax.

Those are two big ones that make baseball a better game.

I'm not sure how much credit to give Bud that the game is "fairer" now with respect to PED's. I think it will take 30-40 years for that chapter to come into perspective. You can certainly make the argument that the game is fairer now than it was then.

Without the new stadiums, income inequity would be far worse than it is.

The revamped amateur draft....could be a good thing in terms of talent distribution. Hopefully there will not be signability picks or kids with 1st round talent droping to the yankee's 3rd round pick.

...Again, I cannot overstate what 15 years of labor peace with the players union has meant for major league baseball. If the years 98-13 looked like 83-97 with the lockouts and the strikes, there would be far fewer fans than there are.

Those are all on Bud.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

20. Likes:

REDREAD (09-27-2013)

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I think Rob Manfred will be the next commissioner. It's not 1920. Baseball is a huge business, and labor relations are crucial. He's a good labor lawyer who's been key behind the scenes during a long period of labor peace. I don't want a DH; I want automated balls/strikes; I want expansion to 32 teams in the next decade or two... all that is secondary to preventing work stoppages. Flawed baseball is better than no baseball.

In fairness to Bud, he started out as a dolt but he got better and better the longer he was in his job. Of course most people that do the same thing for 20 years tend to screw fewer things up over time.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Two more thoughts:

1. I think I'd make an awesome commissioner.
    2. I'm very tempted to go into work tomorrow and tell my boss that I'm quitting, effective January 2015.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

23. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-27-2013)

Turn Off Ads?