Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bud Selig to retire

Re: Bud Selig to retire

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Is the fact that every Cubs game isn't on WGN and every Braves game isn't on TBS a good thing? Those were wonderful staples growing up even though I dislike both teams.
    I agree with you. Being able to watch a baseball game every night helped grow my fandom. Th e Reds were still and always be my team but it was very nice to watch baseball every night and most days two games. I really think those games being on the Superstations help re-energize the sport to certain degree too. The games were on everyday and a lot people got reaquainted with the game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Is the fact that every Cubs game isn't on WGN and every Braves game isn't on TBS a good thing? Those were wonderful staples growing up even though I dislike both teams.
    I think it's absolutely a good thing. Sure, it was nice to have a game on every day and night but it basically cut into every team's territory. It's a big reason why you go to any ballpark and you see people with Braves and Cubs hats and gear on. It's why their fans take over your ballpark when they come in and play your team.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think it's absolutely a good thing. Sure, it was nice to have a game on every day and night but it basically cut into every team's territory. It's a big reason why you go to any ballpark and you see people with Braves and Cubs hats and gear on. It's why their fans take over your ballpark when they come in and play your team.
    That happened with the Cubs. But the Bravos? Don't really see that.

Good riddance.

Bud was a place holder for most of the explosive revenue growth in baseball.

He was a reactionary commissioner instead of a proactive commissioner.

Expansion into Florida was a bad idea.

Strike and the cancellation of a World Series.

Making the All Star Game count was a terrible idea was the result of an even worse gaffe in ending the game in a tie.

I give him credit for things like one wild card, inter league play, and some kind of revenue sharing. But that was more of a copy off of football instead of a leading effort.

7. Likes:

remdog (09-27-2013)

That happened with the Cubs. But the Bravos? Don't really see that.
    It sure has. Go to a game sometime when the Braves are the other team and you'll see a good deal of people in Braves gear.

Look at it this way: If they still had their games on the Superstations, if you didn't live in your team's market you would either have to buy Extra Innings to watch your team's games and if you were in one of those ridiculous blackout territories you couldn't see them at all. Meanwhile the Braves and Cubs could be beamed into your are for free and not blacked out.

If you lived in your team's market, a game on one of the Superstations may keep you from attending or actually going to one of your team's games. Reds broadcasts would certainly be worth a lot less and it would be tougher to compete against the Superstation teams.

Full disclosure: When I used to live in Iowa my parents didn't have cable. My grandparents lived 12 miles away so when I was old enough to drive I could go over there when the Reds were playing the Cubs and Braves and watch the games. When I got my own place I could watch those games on Cable. But Extra Innings wasn't available until the late 90s so I didn't have much of a choice.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (09-27-2013)

So maybe that's not ideal for the owners. But it doesn't benefit me as a fan in any way that the Cubs and Braves are no longer available.

Of course, I have mlb.tv now, so I'd watch the Reds over the Cubs/Braves anyway. But I'm very thankful that the Superstation era existed. It was great for baseball fans.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I used to get TBS and WGN off the satellite dish my building had in Venezuela in the 90s.
    (yep, the same kind that crushed Bo Diaz).
    Only way for me to see the REDS play back then, even if it was only a few games a year.
    Much appreciated.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

12. Likes:

cincinnati chili (09-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I agree with you. Being able to watch a baseball game every night helped grow my fandom. Th e Reds were still and always be my team but it was very nice to watch baseball every night and most days two games. I really think those games being on the Superstations help re-energize the sport to certain degree too. The games were on everyday and a lot people got reaquainted with the game.
    But now I get 135 Rangers games a year on FOXSports SW, ESPN twice, sometimes 3 times a week. Then there is TBS, some WGN for the Cubs and White Sox and the Fox Game of the week. Not only do I see more games now, I see more of a variety of games.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    But now I get 135 Rangers games a year on FOXSports SW, ESPN twice, sometimes 3 times a week. Then there is TBS, some WGN for the Cubs and White Sox and the Fox Game of the week. Not only do I see more games now, I see more of a variety of games.
    Oh its better now. I have the option to watch almost every game via MLBTV. I didn't have that in the late 70's and 80's. If not for the Superstations I would have got the GOW on NBC,a Monday night game on ABC and maybe 35 games via the Reds network. So I was very happy to get all of those games on TBS and WGN.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Oh its better now. I have the option to watch almost every game via MLBTV. I didn't have that in the late 70's and 80's. If not for the Superstations I would have got the GOW on NBC,a Monday night game on ABC and maybe 35 games via the Reds network. So I was very happy to get all of those games on TBS and WGN.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Exactly. The role of the Commissioner is to protect the sport from the short sidedness and greed of the owners. But when the Commissioner is one of the owners, then he really no longer is a Commissioner.

I could give a flying fig how many people watch baseball or how much money it makes. I want the game to be the best and fairest game it can be. That is what a Commissioner should be focused on. Nothing, absolutely nothing Selig did helped baseball become a better or fairer game. In fact, most of his accomplishments have done the opposite, all in order to make more money for the owners.

Baseball is hard to ruin, but Bud Selig sure tried his best to do just that.
    That's why Costas would be perfect. He has a real interest in the history of the game, is a gigantic fan more than anything else and has no financial interest in the league. I think he could care less what the owners think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Any speculation on a replacement? I haven't a clue who would move into the seat.
    It's rumored that Bud's daughter is going to give up running the Brewers and take over.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Yep, the game of the week was usually the Dodgers or Mets if it was an NL game. I seem to remember the Reds being on about one game of the week per year (playing the Dodgers/Mets)
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Why wait a year, Bud? Do it today!

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Turn Off Ads?