Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Carlos Gomez strikes again

Re: Carlos Gomez strikes again

Gomez starting chirping at Maholm on his way to first. He started the whole deal. Freeman, then Maholm, then the Braves told him to shut up and run the bases. I think Gomez has a screw loose.

I like what McCannn did, but he richly deserved a suspension. You can't let those things go unpunished.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    People are supporting McCann because he is white. Just my opinion.
    Ok you put it out there.

Surely you will concede you don't believe all people back McCann because he is white....so what percent of the crowd do you think is racially motivated here?

I don't think it is a major issue here, though no doubt with some small percent it is.

@ redfanalways1966 and beltway

circumcision of little baby boys is also a tradition since thousand years and is still in practice all over the globe altough itīs against human rights...

in germany was a judge who said it is a crime to do it on little boys... all religions came together and there biggest argument was that is a great tradition since thousands of years...

sry but that is stupid! doing things since thousand years doesnīt make it right... the church had multiple traditions like burning whitches etc. why did they stopped those traditions?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Ok you put it out there.

Surely you will concede you don't believe all people back McCann because he is white....so what percent of the crowd do you think is racially motivated here?

I don't think it is a major issue here, though no doubt with some small percent it is.
    I definitely concede that not all people back McCann because he is white, but as a northerner living in the south (Charlotte, NC) in Braves country I can tell you from what I have been hearing from Braves fans there is racial motivation. My wife and I have actually decided to move back north (Cleveland) and part of the reason for me is because I am sick of the racism. Since this event with Gomez I have heard multiple white Braves fans say "McCann is a good ol boy, he's not going to put up with that (racist remark)'s ****" or something similar.

I think many Northerners do not realize how bad it still is in the south. It was definitely an eye opening experience for me when I moved here 3 years ago. It's disgusting.

I did not mean people in this thread BTW, I should have made that more clear.

I definitely concede that not all people back McCann because he is white, but as a northerner living in the south (Charlotte, NC) in Braves country I can tell you from what I have been hearing from Braves fans there is racial motivation. My wife and I have actually decided to move back north (Cleveland) and part of the reason for me is because I am sick of the racism. Since this event with Gomez I have heard multiple white Braves fans say "McCann is a good ol boy, he's not going to put up with that (racist remark)'s ****" or something similar.

I think many Northerners do not realize how bad it still is in the south. It was definitely an eye opening experience for me when I moved here 3 years ago. It's disgusting.
    It's a non-starter. If the situations were reversed - McCann on the Brewers and Gomez on the Braves and the same thing happened, they would be in Gomez' corner because he's a Brave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

7. Likes:

REDREAD (10-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It's a non-starter. If the situations were reversed - McCann on the Brewers and Gomez on the Braves and the same thing happened, they would be in Gomez' corner because he's a Brave.
    I am not sold on this. Many of the Braves fans I have met only support the white players on the team. You would think McCann is Johnny Bench and Freddie Freeman is Lou Gehirg. Nobody talks about Andrelton Simmons or Justin Upton. It may be different in Atlanta, as I have only experienced North Carolina Braves fans.

I am not sold on this. Many of the Braves fans I have met only support the white players on the team. You would think McCann is Johnny Bench and Freddie Freeman is Lou Gehirg. Nobody talks about Andrelton Simmons or Justin Upton. It may be different in Atlanta, as I have only experienced North Carolina Braves fans.
    You might be right. However McCann and Freeman have been there for a few years while Simmons and Upton are new. I would think that if either Upton or Simmons hit a game winning World Series HR, they would cheer just as hard as if it were McCann or Freeman who hit it. There aren't a lot of whiter big cities than Cincinnati and there have been some racial problems over the last dozen years but the players getting the lion's share of the criticism here are Votto, Bruce and as of late Ludwick. Phillips does get criticized but is generally more beloved than anyone on the team.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You might be right. However McCann and Freeman have been there for a few years while Simmons and Upton are new. I would think that if either Upton or Simmons hit a game winning World Series HR, they would cheer just as hard as if it were McCann or Freeman who hit it. There aren't a lot of whiter big cities than Cincinnati and there have been some racial problems over the last dozen years but the players getting the lion's share of the criticism here are Votto, Bruce and as of late Ludwick. Phillips does get criticized but is generally more beloved than anyone on the team.
    That may be true, but it is honestly not just a majority of the people are white, because that is not the case. Charlotte is a very diverse city. The way a lot of the white people talk down here is like nothing Northerners have most likely seen unless they have lived down here. Many people in the south don't just say racial things, they say the racial things and do not have the slightest clue what they are saying is wrong. I work with some people who say terrible things and not only is there is no fear of repercussions it is just accepted by everyone. I will shake my head sometimes and get ridiculed for doing so.

Read a column at ESPN that posited that American-born (mostly white) players have a death grip on The Code and are hypervigilant about it whereas Latin players not so much and are more willing to break it.

Made sense to me.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

If MLB wants to prohibit bean balls, there're gonna have to construct rules/penalties to discourage taunting. See 15 yd penalties in football, technical fouls in basketball. You can't just focus on the reaction to taunting.

What's interesting then is what MLB could do as a 'penalty' to discourage taunting.

That may be true, but it is honestly not just a majority of the people are white, because that is not the case. Charlotte is a very diverse city. The way a lot of the white people talk down here is like nothing Northerners have most likely seen unless they have lived down here. Many people in the south don't just say racial things, they say the racial things and do not have the slightest clue what they are saying is wrong. I work with some people who say terrible things and not only is there is no fear of repercussions it is just accepted by everyone. I will shake my head sometimes and get ridiculed for doing so.
    I live south of NC, and I have no idea what that you are talking about. Maybe you can quote a few instances for me.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Read a column at ESPN that posited that American-born (mostly white) players have a death grip on The Code and are hypervigilant about it whereas Latin players not so much and are more willing to break it.

Made sense to me.
    Me too. You see the Caribbean series in the off-season and the atmosphere is like a soccer game with horns, bells and whistles. But I'm sure they have their Code as well. Remember back in the 90s when Roberto Alomar spat on the umpire (Hirschbeck?) Anyway, it was reported that Alomar spat on him because the umpire called him a name which was more offensive to a Hispanic player than non-Hispanic players.

Japan has their Code too. We've heard about how they walk American players when they get close to a HR record. The managers never used to argue with umpires. In Leo Durocher's autobiography he tells the story of how he was the first manager to argue with an umpire.

I do think that Hispanics do have a tough time adjusting to may aspects of the game in the U.S. We've seen Puig criticized for some of the things he's done. We saw Chapman get criticized for his somersaults after a save last year. Sometimes you can take the Code too far. I've seen managers complain that another team bunted to break up a no-hitter even though it was a 1-0 game. We have seen the Pirates and Reds go somewhat overboard with the HBPs. How may times did we see LaRussa whine about something or other that in his opinion went against the Code?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba View Post
    I live south of NC, and I have no idea what that you are talking about. Maybe you can quote a few instances for me.
    The biggest problem I see is the constant use of the "N word" and then defending the use of the word. There is also a major problem with talk of african american welfare recipients. It is possible I just work in a very racist environment.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

People are supporting McCann because he is white. Just my opinion.
    Ahh, I'm not seeing that. I think Carlos Gomez is genuinely pretty obnoxious.

17. Likes:

Larkin Fan (09-30-2013),TSJ55 (09-30-2013)

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    If Molina did that, there would be 12 threads calling for him to be suspended.
    Disagree. I'd be all for Molina stopping Phillips at home plate if Phillips rounded the bases calling everyone out after each base he touched. Phillips shows passion, but doesn't show anyone up.

Turn Off Ads?