Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

Reds&BuckeyeGuy (09-30-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Carlos Gomez strikes again

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I'm not sure who appointed Brian McCann enforcer of baseball good taste and etiquette. He's been centrally involved in the last couple ugly incidents and somehow manages to emerge unscathed.
    Stick to your guns.

6. Likes:

Beltway (09-29-2013),DocRed (09-29-2013),kbrake (09-27-2013),marcshoe (09-30-2013),Revering4Blue (09-27-2013)

Gomez seems to have a little Albert Joey Belle in him

For a Level Playing Field

I've been tired of Gomez for some time and he has not been playing that long lol. Perhaps it is all immaturity but it comes across as arrogance.

McCann does what every fan hopes their catcher would do. Stand up for your team since you are the last guy that is passed by a guy who hits a HR. I may get crap (here) but I'd hope Hanigan/Mez would do the same thing Molina did when BP called their team a bunch of beotches. Blocking the baseline was a bit too much in this case, but let the fool know that this crap is not happening by you to my team.

I liked Tony Kornheiser's (ESPN's PTI) take on it. Gomez should have plowed McCann over for blocking the plate. McCann should have punched Gomez in the throat. Quit being the typical wimpy MLB guys who yell/grab/shove. Want to act tough? Then be tough.

9. Likes:

Hubba (09-27-2013)

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

It's okay for McCann to be angry and talk some smack to Gomez, but it was wrong for him to block the plate.

11. Likes:

smixsell (10-10-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Gomez may be an arrogant idiot, but the base clearing brawl was mostly on McCann. He was the one who escalated the whole matter.

The Braves should have done what is usually done in the situation; send him to the seat of his pants the next time he is AB.

13. Likes:

jojo (09-29-2013),mth123 (09-27-2013)

Gomez should have Ray Fosse'd McCann.

This isn't about baseball "etiquette," and the villifying of McCann for standing up to someone disrespecting his teammates in that manner is puzzling. He was being the "man of the house" and it sounds to me like that is his role on the Braves. And you wonder why bullies prevail in so many environments. No one standing up to them and saying "hey, take it on down the road buddy." Good job McCann! Look at the contriteness of Gomez after he was stood up to. There is the truth.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

17. Likes:

smith288 (09-30-2013),Spitball (09-30-2013),Tommyjohn25 (09-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Gomez may be an arrogant idiot, but the base clearing brawl was mostly on McCann. He was the one who escalated the whole matter.

The Braves should have done what is usually done in the situation; send him to the seat of his pants the next time he is AB.
    Interesting ethic. Bad to confront as he approaches home plate, good to throw 90+ MPH pitch in his direction. I think that ethic practiced by Maholm is a part of this issue, isn't it?

BTW, this is a complete new response by a ballplayer, so I'm not sure the usual vigilante justice rules apply here, do they?
    Last edited by traderumor; 09-27-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Comez is going to get plunked and plunked again if he continues to swing as hard as he does every pitch. If he played 30 year ago he may get a ball in his ear hole every game.

That said, Atlanta taking offense to every player hitting a HR is getting old. McCann may have disliked Gomez's actions but he had no business blocking his path to home plate. All the chirping from guys like McCann, Freeman, and Johnson is petty. I hope McCann, Freeman and Johnson get what is coming to them.

20. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (09-30-2013)

I like Maholm's post game interview. Very classy and very mature given what happened.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

McCann's quote:

“If you want to sit there and watch it for a few seconds, I’m OK with that. But to round the bases and yell the whole way around the bases, I just I felt like I needed to say something. I don’t think that’s a part of the game of baseball. I thought he showed up our whole team. So I did what I felt any catcher would do in that situation. That’s sticking up for his teammate. He rounded third base and was still yelling, and I was furious. I don’t even know what happened after that.”
    I think McCann letting Gomez know that he's a punk is better than the alternative, which would be a Braves pitcher firing a baseball into is back. Gomez isn't a first time offender, and probably every team in baseball is sick of his antics. My guess is that many players don't have a problem with McCann's actions.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

23. Likes:

Brutus (09-29-2013),Hubba (09-27-2013),MillerTime58 (09-27-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (09-27-2013),Spitball (09-30-2013),Tom Servo (09-27-2013),wolfboy (09-27-2013)

Here is the original HBP of Gomez by Maholm months ago.
    http://wapc.mlb.com/mil/play/?conten...78756&c_id=mil

88 MPH cut fastball at or below the knee. Hardly worth this display.

Turn Off Ads?