Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Carlos Gomez strikes again

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Re: Carlos Gomez strikes again

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    People are supporting McCann because he is white. Just my opinion.
    What. The. %$#?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    What. The. %$#?
    I meant in the South where I live, I did not mean the thread...later on I clarified. My apologies, I was very unclear.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 09-30-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Doug, we cannot put plastic bubbles around these players (no breaking up DPs, no purpose pitches, no running hard on a grounder, etc). But thanks for not throwing Ray Chapman into this thread! I guarantee you more than one player on the Brewers has told this young immature CF to cool his freakin' jets before someone does get hurt. Cause-n-effect. Grow up and you do not worry.
    So let me get this right, growing up is being violent towards a person because you didn't like something that they did that did not inflict any harm on anyone at all?

Is that what you are saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    If MLB wants to prohibit bean balls, there're gonna have to construct rules/penalties to discourage taunting. See 15 yd penalties in football, technical fouls in basketball. You can't just focus on the reaction to taunting.

What's interesting then is what MLB could do as a 'penalty' to discourage taunting.
    I don't even know the last time I saw anyone taunt someone in baseball. Have any examples?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't even know the last time I saw anyone taunt someone in baseball. Have any examples?
    Wait, are you messing with me? In a thread about Carlos Gomez styling a HR and the subsequent reaction of the Braves you can't think of an instance of taunting? Just sticking with the Braves, how about Evan Gattis/Jose Fernandez leading to benches clearing? Or just sticking with Gomez, how about Aroldis Chapman doing a summersault after Gomez's tumble?

Anger, bean balls, and fights don't erupt out of nothing. Someone feels disrespected, taunted, etc. so they retaliate. Now, everyone's threshold for what is taunting and what isn't will be different, but that's a bit beside the point. To try and stop bean balls and other violence, MLB will have to penalize perceived taunts--just as other sports do (15 yd penalties in football, technicals in basketball).

What can MLB do to penalize taunting?

Immediately thrown out of the game and fine.

Wait, are you messing with me? In a thread about Carlos Gomez styling a HR and the subsequent reaction of the Braves you can't think of an instance of taunting? Just sticking with the Braves, how about Evan Gattis/Jose Fernandez leading to benches clearing? Or just sticking with Gomez, how about Aroldis Chapman doing a summersault after Gomez's tumble?

Anger, bean balls, and fights don't erupt out of nothing. Someone feels disrespected, taunted, etc. so they retaliate. Now, everyone's threshold for what is taunting and what isn't will be different, but that's a bit beside the point. To try and stop bean balls and other violence, MLB will have to penalize perceived taunts--just as other sports do (15 yd penalties in football, technicals in basketball).

We must have a different takes on what taunting is.

For a Level Playing Field

So let me get this right, growing up is being violent towards a person because you didn't like something that they did that did not inflict any harm on anyone at all?

Is that what you are saying?
    No. I am saying the game has been played a certain way for many-many years. This new age (boy in a plastic bubble) thinking is not going to work nor will most of it ever be implemented. The game has been played a certain way and somehow most participants have survived and the game has many fans and lots of revenue. If it works, don't mess with it.

No one gets hit on purpose if they "behave" on the field. Why is that so difficult? I guarantee you most of the palyers on the Brewers get this and I will bet they do not agree with punk behavior either. They will not say it publicly (another unwritten rule), but you know darn well Gomez' Twitter comments were a directive and not done on his own freewill. No doubt someone made him understand.

You think punk behavior is OK. Fine. Then do not play MLB or risk getting drilled. And understand that most people understand these unwritten rules. Unwritten rules that punish punk behavior. Too bad society does not have more of these.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    No. I am saying the game has been played a certain way for many-many years. This new age (boy in a plastic bubble) thinking is not going to work nor will most of it ever be implemented. The game has been played a certain way and somehow most participants have survived and the game has many fans and lots of revenue. If it works, don't mess with it.
    The game had many fans when blacks and latinos weren't allowed on the field with white guys too. It had many fans before the DH. It had many fans before the modern bullpen started. Fighting is not good for the sport of baseball.

No one gets hit on purpose if they "behave" on the field. Why is that so difficult?
    Watching a home run you hit is not misbehaving.

You think punk behavior is OK. Fine. Then do not play MLB or risk getting drilled. And understand that most people understand these unwritten rules. Unwritten rules that punish punk behavior. Too bad society does not have more of these.
    I don't like your words here. If we ever meet, I should be allowed to just throw something very hard at you, right? Maybe even get up in your face and shove you? That is what you are saying is ok. And it is a crazy, insane thing to say that.

The game had many fans when blacks and latinos weren't allowed on the field with white guys too. It had many fans before the DH. It had many fans before the modern bullpen started. Fighting is not good for the sport of baseball.

Watching a home run you hit is not misbehaving.

I don't like your words here. If we ever meet, I should be allowed to just throw something very hard at you, right? Maybe even get up in your face and shove you? That is what you are saying is ok. And it is a crazy, insane thing to say that.
    He didn't say that.

Did Gomez "misbehave" here? If so what should be done about it.

Now, the reality of the situation at hand, is that pitchers throw a 90 mph ball at the hitter, and oopsies happen.

I should expand on my last post.

To me, taunting is doing something directly in the face of someone. An example would be me hitting a home run and yelling to the pitcher "I got you on that one, explettive!" or running out to the mound and getting in his face and yelling "OH YEAH!".

Taunting to me is not watching a home run for 3 seconds instead of 1. It isn't me pounding my chest after I made a great play (unless I literally do it while up in the other players face). It isn't doing a somersault.

To address specific examples.... Gattis/Fernandez happened because Gattis got mad that Fernandez watched a baseball too long. Not taunting, it was Gattis being mad that his pitcher served up a long ball and he was worried his adult pitcher would get his feelings hurt because Fernandez watched a baseball for 3 seconds instead of 1.

Chapman did a somersault. So what? I watched the Rays/Blue Jays yesterday. Fernando Rodney saved the game and shot a fictional arrow to the clouds. Should someone be beaned for that? He does it after every save.

I am ok with punishing actual taunts with a game suspension. But not staring at a freaking home run for a few seconds or a player showing some stinking excitement after making a good play.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    He didn't say that.

Did Gomez "misbehave" here? If so what should be done about it.

Now, the reality of the situation at hand, is that pitchers throw a 90 mph ball at the hitter, and oopsies happen.
    He did say that. He said too bad society doesn't have that option. He wants punk behavior (re: things he doesn't like) to be legal to hurt people over.

I get that you will hit a guy on accident at times. I pitched for 14 years. I was very much a control pitcher and even I hit a guy every now and then. It does happen. But that isn't what we are talking about. We are talking about throwing at a guy on purpose.

And if Gomez' behavior would have come on RZ, he would have been banned. Too bad Boss Hog doesn't have jurisdiction over MLB. Different rules and punishments for different venues.

15. Likes:

dubc47834 (09-30-2013),TSJ55 (09-30-2013)

I like Gomez. Plays like he cares.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

texasdave (09-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    And if Gomez' behavior would have come on RZ, he would have been banned. Too bad Boss Hog doesn't have jurisdiction over MLB. Different rules and punishments for different venues.
    Gomez would be banned from Redszone for staring at an excellent post to long? *unplugs webcam*
    Last edited by dougdirt; 09-30-2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: typo

Turn Off Ads?