Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Carlos Gomez strikes again

Re: Carlos Gomez strikes again

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    A lot of things were ways before I was born and were changed because they were bad ideas.

It is flat out stupid that violence is acceptable because you didn't like the way someone acted in a manner that wasn't violent at all towards someone else to begin with. Flat. Out. Stupid.
    RedFanAlways1966 made an awesome argument though. I mean, "that's the way it's always been" could be used to justify all sorts of awesome things that are unfortunately no longer legal, like beating your wife and slavery. You cannot defeat the logic of "we should keep doing this because that's the way it's always been done". If it's a tradition, that's all the justification anything needs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I think McCann letting Gomez know that he's a punk is better than the alternative, which would be a Braves pitcher firing a baseball into is back. Gomez isn't a first time offender, and probably every team in baseball is sick of his antics. My guess is that many players don't have a problem with McCann's actions.
    There are more than two alternatives. It's not like you HAVE to either fight him or throw a pitch at him. You could...I don't know...just play baseball. Crazy idea, I know. Actually, these millionaire baseball players need to defend their precious little egos, so obviously there are only two alternatives. How silly of me to suggest otherwise.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Freddie Freeman started jawing at Gomez. Yes, Gomez watched his HR -- so what? Freeman decided he didn't like it and started the argument. Gomez responded, and McCann turned it into a confrontation. Childishness all around.
    Freeman was reacting to Gomez berating Maholm down the baseline, not the prolonged HR stare. If it was just the home run stare, it wouldn't have escalated to that point.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

5. Likes:

Hubba (09-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Freeman was reacting to Gomez berating Maholm down the baseline, not the prolonged HR stare. If it was just the home run stare, it wouldn't have escalated to that point.
    Why do you think he was berating him? Probably in response to what Maholm probably said for looking at the HR.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Why do you think he was berating him? Probably in response to what Maholm probably said for looking at the HR.
    None of the video I've seen shows Maholm doing anything but turning his back. He may have a bigger role in this thing than I realize, but I haven't seen anything to suggest it other than the previous ABs where Gomez got hit.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

8. Likes:

919191 (10-01-2013), Hubba (09-30-2013), Roy Tucker (09-30-2013)

It doesn't even matter who started running his mouth first. No Braves player was under threat of physical harm, so violence was unacceptable. McCann wasn't protecting anyone. Gomez wasn't going to run to the mound and punch Maholm. McCann was channeling his inner-Pujols. Unwritten rules of baseball, blah blah blah. That's code for "My precious little feelings were hurt".

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

A lot of things were ways before I was born and were changed because they were bad ideas.

It is flat out stupid that violence is acceptable because you didn't like the way someone acted in a manner that wasn't violent at all towards someone else to begin with. Flat. Out. Stupid.
    Doug, we cannot put plastic bubbles around these players (no breaking up DPs, no purpose pitches, no running hard on a grounder, etc). But thanks for not throwing Ray Chapman into this thread! I guarantee you more than one player on the Brewers has told this young immature CF to cool his freakin' jets before someone does get hurt. Cause-n-effect. Grow up and you do not worry.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

11. Likes:

Falcon7 (09-30-2013), TSJ55 (09-30-2013)

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    RedFanAlways1966 made an awesome argument though. I mean, "that's the way it's always been" could be used to justify all sorts of awesome things that are unfortunately no longer legal, like beating your wife and slavery. You cannot defeat the logic of "we should keep doing this because that's the way it's always been done". If it's a tradition, that's all the justification anything needs.
    Beating your wife was legal? Show me proof of that, oh smart one. Perhaps you mean police did not do their jobs, but it was never legal. Comparing baseball to spousal abuse and slavery? You are a piece of work. LOL
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

13. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-30-2013)

I saw multiple baseball brawls and most of them are the same way (the past few years)

2 guys are the starting point, benches clear, pushing and shoving no punches thrown and then the guys acting tough if they are behind 20 teammates...

this time it was the same, the wait till someone hold them back and then they start to "run" towards the other sight without the intent to get there...
    just to look like a mean guy but in fact he wants no part of throwing punches...

Im happy that most of the brawls are without punches and I was never involved in a fight and hope Ill never get... but acting tough if youre "save" and making nothing if youre not is lame...

Why is violence OK in the NBA but not in MLB? ( you dunk on me and I will put you on your ass.
    Gomez ran around the bases acting like a complete idiot but when it come time to back it up he ran behind his teammates.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Gomez acted like a maniac punk and McCann did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba View Post
    Why is violence OK in the NBA but not in MLB? ( you dunk on me and I will put you on your ass.
    Gomez ran around the bases acting like a complete idiot but when it come time to back it up he ran behind his teammates.
    I think it's begging the question to assume violence as you describe is OK in any sport.
    "This isnt stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

18. Likes:

dougdirt (09-30-2013)

Well Gomez struck again. The Brewers and Mets tied for the 10th draft spot. The Mets record in 2012 so they last protected pick. Had Gomez not gotten the Votto ball the Brewers end up with the protected pick instead of the Mets. Now if the Mets take Choo the Reds get a 2nd round pick instead of a first.

People are supporting McCann because he is white. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Beating your wife was legal? Show me proof of that, oh smart one. Perhaps you mean police did not do their jobs, but it was never legal. Comparing baseball to spousal abuse and slavery? You are a piece of work. LOL
    Uhhh, yes it was. For thousands of years there were no laws against spousal abuse. Laws prohibiting spousal abuse are recent. Hell, it wasn't until the last 40 years or so that it was even legally possible to commit spousal rape in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marital...ted_States_law)

So yeah, a man being able to rape his wife was perfectly legal for...I don't know...10,000 years or so. It was tradition. It was the way things were always done. So that is all the justification that is needed to continue that practice using your logic. Now, I'm pretty sure you don't actually condone spousal abuse, rape, and slavery, so I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you apply your logic inconsistently. For some reason in your mind baseball is in some sort of protected zone where a violent response to mere words is somehow acceptable. You should really look into why you have that logical inconsistency.

Turn Off Ads?