Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: 9/27/2013 Reds vs Pirates

Re: 9/27/2013 Reds vs Pirates

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    The post season is a crap shoot and anything can happen. But we haven't been playing up to our capabilities since May. Its time for a change.
    I haven't looked it up, but I wonder how often a non-top 10 lineup/offense has won a WS, or even made it there.

I'm not sure the Reds' are a top 15 lineup without the Votto/Choo OBP. A bunch of .250 hitters hitting in a band box, yet are 18th in SLG.

What about that screams "crap shoot" over a 3-4 week period?

Sure it's more of a "crap shoot" now than it was prior to the wildcard/expansion/rampant free agency, but to diminish the WS titles of teams is silly, by basically calling it "luck or chance."

This Reds' team has little chance of advancing, for the 3rd time now, because they still have an incomplete lineup. They do not have the bats to overcome good/great pitching over a month's time, they simply don't, they get dominated and shut-down quite easily.

So yeah - sorry for sounding argumentative - I agree that unless they can advance this year, it's time for a change in direction and team management, to say the least.

3 runs in the last 27 innings, 6 in the last 37. (which is a repeated pattern this season and not an exception)

That isn't going to win anything, even if they get hot for a game or two (which will happen, maybe as soon as tomorrow and Sunday).
    Last edited by CrackerJack; 09-28-2013 at 12:21 AM.

2. Likes:

Billy_Bearcat (09-28-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The Indians have the same record as the Reds. Unbelievable. Maybe there will be an Ohio team in the World Series after all.

5. Likes:

Red Raindog (09-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    The post season is a crap shoot and anything can happen. But we haven't been playing up to our capabilities since May. Its time for a change.
    Then the Reds have a very good chance of winning it all. Because they are playing like crap.

7. Likes:

Billy_Bearcat (09-28-2013),KittyDuran (09-28-2013),Mutaman (09-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    The Indians have the same record as the Reds. Unbelievable. Maybe there will be an Ohio team in the World Series after all.
    Do you think the manager matters in Cleveland? How about Boston? What were they doing this time last year? I know Dusty does not play, but those two teams especially Cleveland are playing inspired baseball at the end of the season. "Lets keep running Ludwick out there, we owe that to him..let's try him in the 2 hole.."
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I think Francona makes a big difference (AL Manager of the Year in my opinion)

The Indians overall numbers are pretty middle-of-the-pack, yet here they are!

I'll also be fair, they aren't in this division either, which has 3 teams in the postseason for a reason
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 09-28-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I think Francona makes a big difference (AL Manager of the Year in my opinion)

The Indians overall numbers are pretty middle-of-the-pack, yet here they are!

I'll also be fair, they aren't in this division either, which has 3 teams in the postseason for a reason
    That's a very good point, but if Francona "makes a big difference" then our manager does too with better players and starting pitching than Cleveland.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

15-2 now....sorry guys.

*runs off to slink in a corner*
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post

What about that screams "crap shoot" over a 3-4 week period?

Sure it's more of a "crap shoot" now than it was prior to the wildcard/expansion/rampant free agency, but to diminish the WS titles of teams is silly, by basically calling it "luck or chance."
    I don't necessarily define "crap shoot" to mean "luck or chance", but if you think the best team necessarily wins a best of 5 (or even a best of seven) series, you have really bought into the nonsense Selig is trying to peddle. Hate to diminish the championships of great teams like the 2006 Cards, who managed to win all of 83 games during the season. Or that wonderful pennant winning Colorado team of a few years ago. And with all due respect to the great Posey, its not like last year's Giant's team was the '27 Yankees. Post season is a crap shoot. Pitching is still what this game is about, and even with their dismal offense, the Reds still have enough pitching to advance deep into the post season.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 09-28-2013 at 02:47 AM.

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I haven't looked it up, but I wonder how often a non-top 10 lineup/offense has won a WS, or even made it there.
    The Giants last year? Were they a top 10 offense?
    No one expects the butterfly

Turn Off Ads?