Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips: Baseball Needs More Swag

Re: Brandon Phillips: Baseball Needs More Swag

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Celebrations, sure. Showing emotion, getting excited? No. Aside from Brandon Phillips, I don't remember the last time I saw a Red with any kind of excitement after a play that wasn't a walkoff type of play.

The NBA is popular because the players can make the game exciting with their flash and if someone crosses you over or dunks over you, odds are that they aren't going to decide to fight you the next time they are guarding you. In baseball though, if you do something that shows a guy up, they are going to do something to try and harm you. It isn't good for the game. The game itself tries to keep everything to a 1950's type of atmosphere of robot play. In the NBA if a guy makes a circus type of shot and gets fouled, they will pound their chest, show excitement in some way. Then the game goes on. In MLB that gets a 95 MPH fastball to your ribs.
    I agree Doug ,I think that a lot of playas should show a lot more swag like the NBA'ers by making the angry face after a base hit or a gorilla face after a double. Or be like one of the local teams and announce on national tv that everybody back in the locker room is a bunch of gangstas . I think that we can find better models.
    Gorilla face.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5f6T...etailpage#t=52
    Last edited by Hubba; 09-28-2013 at 05:18 AM.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

So in the 2nd half of the season, BP has produced nothing, called a reporter a fat mother f'er, then made blatantly racial comments to a publication. TEAM MVP!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Whatever it takes to get your motor started, I don't care. Just win, baby.

A past-middle age balding white guy from the leafy burbs like me would look pretty silly with swag. I'll stand with my polo Reds shirt and make a tight fist and say "yessss". That's about as swag as I get. Accountant-style.
    Roy I don't mean to bust your chops but if you were my milk man back in the day you are well past middle age.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Maybe the Reds should call Tom Haverford for some Rent-A-Swag.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-30-2013), dabvu2498 (09-30-2013), dougdirt (09-28-2013), JayBruceFan (09-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Maybe the Reds should call Tom Haverford for some Rent-A-Swag.
    Anything that will help keep him in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    So in the 2nd half of the season, BP has produced nothing, called a reporter a fat mother f'er, then made blatantly racial comments to a publication. TEAM MVP!
    Don't forget his comments about Castellini and Votto. I would love to see the Reds trade Phillips in the offseason.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Baseball sure could use more USB drives, logo shirts and water bottles!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

10. Likes:

Homer Bailey (09-29-2013), westofyou (09-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Baseball sure could use more USB drives, logo shirts and water bottles!
    Don't forget the stress balls.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Reconfiguring the field to the following would undoubtedly add to the amount of "swag":

Matt Stone and Trey Parker may have really been onto something...
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

13. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (09-28-2013), dougdirt (09-28-2013), Revering4Blue (09-30-2013)

Maybe BP meant baseball needs more garlands of flowers.

Celebrations, sure. Showing emotion, getting excited? No. Aside from Brandon Phillips, I don't remember the last time I saw a Red with any kind of excitement after a play that wasn't a walkoff type of play.

The NBA is popular because the players can make the game exciting with their flash and if someone crosses you over or dunks over you, odds are that they aren't going to decide to fight you the next time they are guarding you. In baseball though, if you do something that shows a guy up, they are going to do something to try and harm you. It isn't good for the game. The game itself tries to keep everything to a 1950's type of atmosphere of robot play. In the NBA if a guy makes a circus type of shot and gets fouled, they will pound their chest, show excitement in some way. Then the game goes on. In MLB that gets a 95 MPH fastball to your ribs.
    Yeah, nothing violent ever happens in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Yeah, nothing violent ever happens in the NBA.
    It happens in the NBA on contact plays/hard fouls. It doesn't happen because someone threw down an awesome alleyoop dunk and hung on the rim half a second to long or trotted down the court afterwards pounding their chest. THAT is the difference. In MLB, people get mad and try to retaliate with violence over actions. In the NFL/NBA there is retaliation for actual physical play.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

It happens in the NBA on contact plays/hard fouls. It doesn't happen because someone threw down an awesome alleyoop dunk and hung on the rim half a second to long or trotted down the court afterwards pounding their chest. THAT is the difference. In MLB, people get mad and try to retaliate with violence over actions. In the NFL/NBA there is retaliation for actual physical play.
    Have to agree with that. They could get it out of the game... if they wanted to. The NBA did it after the mid-90s turned into WWF.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

The following Twitter conversation may or may not have recently occurred:

Brandon Phillips @DatDudeBP: Yo, Trent. Sorry I called ya' fat. Can I have my OBP back?

ctrent @ctrent: What about my mom?

Brandon Phillips @DatDudeBP: Yeah, I know you ain't got carnal knowledge there, bro. My bad.

ctrent @ctrent: Ok. Your OBP is in my closet. Let me check.

Brandon Phillips @DatDudeBP: K. Thx, dude.

ctrent @ctrent: Uh. Sorry. Your OBP won't come out.

Brandon Phillips @DatDudeBP: You're just messin', right? Why?

ctrent @ctrent: Your OBP doesn't think your SLG is swag enough.

Dusty Baker @PhatToothpick: Brandon, batting practice. Now.

Brandon Phillips @DatDudeBP: Skip, I can't get my OBP back from @ctrent

Dusty Baker @PhatToothpick: That's between you and him.

DatDude's OBP @bp2swag4OBP: Actually, that's between him and him.

Walt Jocketty @redboss1: Even better.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

19. Likes:

Hubba (09-28-2013), New York Red (09-30-2013)

And do you think that the hard fouls are just random acts of violence or are they sometimes caused by something else?

Turn Off Ads?