Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is RedsZone too small of a sample size?

Re: Is RedsZone too small of a sample size?

Redszone is a better sample size than Banana Phone callers, or any callers to WLW for that matter.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-28-2013), powersackers (09-28-2013), PuffyPig (09-28-2013), Raisor (09-28-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The old ORG is a great group of passionate, knowledgeable reds fans. People that could handle the ups and downs of a major league season. People that aren't reactionary to every game, and every slump. And don't overreact to every winning streak.

The facts would say, that if we had our current record, but in the prior year, we'd have clinched the division. The difference between this years team and last years is a little luck, and a lot to do with the success of the pirates and cardinals this year. Seriously, look at the standings on this date last year. Now consider we all lost the Astros. The only difference is that things out of our control (cards and pirates) have passed us.

I think those that criticize this 90+ win team weren't REALLY there during the Lost Decade. You'd know that if you're criticizing a 90 win team, youve lost perspective on how hard it is to get here.

I hate all of you that have jumped off during the bad times. Seriously, I hate it. Disgusts me. Do you think the team isn't trying!? You think we care more than the players about their success!? No! They try their damnedest. For us. For themselves. For their teammates. If they fail, they fail. It's not because of lack of talent or effort. It's the timing of baseball. And if they fail, I'll be there with them on the ship as it sinks.

5. Likes:

dougdirt (09-28-2013), ervinsm84 (09-28-2013), PuffyPig (09-28-2013), reds44 (09-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Redszone is a better sample size than Banana Phone callers, or any callers to WLW for that matter.
    Isn't it scary to realize that talk radio callers and mlb.com site posters are out driving around on the same roads as the rest of us?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

7. Likes:

George Anderson (09-28-2013), KittyDuran (09-30-2013), Number_Fourteen (09-28-2013), powersackers (09-29-2013), Raisor (09-28-2013), reds44 (09-30-2013), Revering4Blue (09-29-2013), Tommyjohn25 (09-30-2013)

If one person expected 85 wins and another 100, you'd likely get two different answers to the question, 'How are the Reds doing this year?'.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Too small a sample size?

RZ is a freaky sideshow of Reds fans, cut from the furthest edges of the bell curve. And I mean that in the best possible way.

I though I was a huge Reds fan until I started coming here.

Like many from Cincinnati, I have a lot of friends who are Reds fans and love to talk Reds baseball. I love these guys, but they are banana phone types. There's nothing I can do to get them to think more, or even to try to understand the game in more depth. Like most fans, they think that baseball is a very simple game. Which, of course, it appears to be, on the surface.

And that's how they enjoy the game, they are huge Reds fans, and who am I to tell them they are wrong? They don't want to hear that from me. They hear they're wrong all the time at work or at home. We just want to enjoy the Reds and baseball as a great diversion from the things we HAVE to do in life.

So I found this place, some years ago by accident, and found a lot of like minded people, and rabid Reds fans.

Yes, this place is a small sample size, and in no way reflects either the opinion or collective thought of most Reds fans. Most Reds fans follow the pied pipers of Marty B and Paul Daugherty, who are the main opinion shapers of how the locals view their Redlegs.

Just the other day Daugherty stirred it up with Ludwick, playing his usual blue collar game of rich spoiled athlete versus working Joe who drinks Keystone light, and only last night, Marty B said out loud on the radio when Votto was at bat "You've got to get this guy going, no if's, and's or but's about it"- on the very night he set an all time Reds record for getting on base in a year. I think it's fair to point out Joey's SLG being down, but it's not like he's making outs instead, and of course both Marty and Daugherty either fail to realize it or refuse to mention it.

Now, I love a lot about Marty B, but I've also learned when to tune him out.

Sorry, longwinded I know, but most Reds fans locally fall into that camp, rather than the more independent type thinkers and fans of the game one might find here.

10. Likes:

BCubb2003 (09-28-2013), BRM13 (09-28-2013), ervinsm84 (09-28-2013), Homer Bailey (09-28-2013), KittyDuran (09-30-2013), paintmered (09-28-2013), powersackers (09-28-2013), Roy Tucker (09-30-2013)

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Sample size isn't the issue. It's easily large enough to represent all Reds fans everywhere... If it were a random sample. But of course, becoming a member of RedsZone is nothing like a random selection process.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Fans here in general have a much higher baseball IQ than the non redszone fans. Just read any other message board or better yet listen to the banana phone callers. Sheer idiocy from those people.
    Or read twitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

13. Likes:

KittyDuran (09-30-2013)

There may be 1800 members but I'd wager that less than 10% of those are even semi-regular posters.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    There may be 1800 members but I'd wager that less than 10% of those are even semi-regular posters.
    This. Even if it were a random sample, you only hear the voices of a few dozen people even here. I've only been around for a year, but I continually see the same core group of posters.

Beyond that, as has been mentioned, this is far from a random sample. How many people here knew many or all of the people playing in the game yesterday? And how many of the casual Reds fans knew any of the guys playing yesterday? I was chatting with a casual fan earlier this year. He was wearing a Reds hat and shirt and was happy talking about the Reds, but when I mentioned that Billy Hamilton would be getting his first start, he didn't even know who I was talking about.

This group is far from the casual fan, but that's why there's actually some interesting conversation here.
    Reds record for games attended in 2014: 11-3

Most memorable game attended this season:
    Cueto out-pitching Dickey with a 19 pitch/3 strikeout 9th inning by Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Beer&Bourbon View Post
    This. Even if it were a random sample, you only hear the voices of a few dozen people even here. I've only been around for a year, but I continually see the same core group of posters.

Beyond that, as has been mentioned, this is far from a random sample. How many people here knew many or all of the people playing in the game yesterday? And how many of the casual Reds fans knew any of the guys playing yesterday? I was chatting with a casual fan earlier this year. He was wearing a Reds hat and shirt and was happy talking about the Reds, but when I mentioned that Billy Hamilton would be getting his first start, he didn't even know who I was talking about.

This group is far from the casual fan, but that's why there's actually some interesting conversation here.
    One thing I'd like to add is that while there may be about 200 semi-active posters here those 200 are certainly a diverse bunch. But that diversity would certainly dilute that sample size.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The internet is a terrible sample for anything and a terrible way to judge the opinions of the public at large.

That goes for ANY subject, not just baseball.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

18. Likes:

PuffyPig (09-30-2013)

Turn Off Ads?