Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explanation for This disappointing season

Explanation for This disappointing season

Looking at career OPS .vs. 2013 OPS for every Red with 200 AB's or more. Only Choo (which you can attribute to GABP), Bruce (by only .005), Mesoraco (expected in 2nd year in the bigs) and X Paul are above their career average OPS. All other regulars or semi-regulars are below their career average. Some (Hanigan, Phillips, Heisey) by a significant margin.

Good starting pitching has allowed the Reds to win 90+ games but you have to think even average years by some of the hitters would have led to 5-6 more wins.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Explanation for This disappointing season

Disappointing season? They won 90 games and made the playoffs. This despite playing in the most competitive division in baseball, having some of their key players hurt who missed significant time (Cueto, Ludwick, Broxton, Marshall, and Heisey), and had some players have down years.

4. Likes:

dougdirt (09-28-2013),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-01-2013)

Yes, I'm probably in the minority but I'm disappointed in a probable 3rd place finish. And my main point is that an awful lot of hitters have underachieved this season which gives greater hope for 2014 if they're healthier and some guys return to more normal production.

6. Likes:

mth123 (09-29-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

My explanation for the "disappointing season":

Expectations based on a finishing position rather than a win total.

If the Reds win 91 games and finish in first place, people would be happy.

But because the Reds may win 91 games and finish in third, they are losing their minds.

8. Likes:

Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-01-2013),Revering4Blue (09-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierReds View Post
    Yes, I'm probably in the minority but I'm disappointed in a probable 3rd place finish. And my main point is that an awful lot of hitters have underachieved this season which gives greater hope for 2014 if they're healthier and some guys return to more normal production.
    who is underperforming?

Ludwick of course because he missed most of the year....

but I donŽt see very much underperforming... cozart is what he is (solid defensively and offensively for his position), frazier is what he is, catcher (I doubt weŽll see more from them next year)

votto = good year (not defensively)
    bruce = good year (offense and d...)
    choo = good year (I think he wonŽt be a red next year)
    phillips = ok but I think heŽll be worse next year

bench players = not good and they are bench players for a reason

pitching was great all year...
    I donŽt see that much underperforming (but I do see some to high expactations...)

Starting pitching performed very well, especially given Cueto's limited availability. Bullpen was adequate, again given the injuries to Marshall and Broxton.

Focusing on the hitters:

Phillips: .043 below his career OPS
    Frazier: .043 below his career OPS (granted it is a smaller sample size)
    Hanigan: .135 below career OPS (injury impacted heavily)
    Heisey: .050 below
    Ludwick: .163 below
    Cozart: .019 below
    Votto: .032 below

Not pointing fingers just pointing out that season included a large coincidence of players (6 of 8 line-up spots) having below average seasons. Not bad seasons in most cases but below average nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    My explanation for the "disappointing season":

Expectations based on a finishing position rather than a win total.

If the Reds win 91 games and finish in first place, people would be happy.

But because the Reds may win 91 games and finish in third, they are losing their minds.
    My expectation was that Reds would be better than both Cards and Pirates. They're not. Case can be made that the other 2 overachieved.

Enjoyable season anyway and I'm hoping for an improbable playoff run but not real confident I'll see it.

It may not be a matter of the Reds underachieving as much as it could be a matter of the Cardinals overachieving. Look at this way, if the Cards lost a few more of those games vs the Reds, the standings would be different. Cards overachieved a little...that's all.

Plus you guys didn't have Cueto all year. That was a difference maker as well. But all you have to do is win one game and after that, the playoffs are a crapshoot so anything can happen. Playoffs all about the pitching and the Reds prob have the best 1-4 going in the post season. Definitely have the best closer.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Strike3Called View Post
    It may not be a matter of the Reds underachieving as much as it could be a matter of the Cardinals overachieving. Look at this way, if the Cards lost a few more of those games vs the Reds, the standings would be different. Cards overachieved a little...that's all.
    Just said the same thing in a previous post. Both Cards and Pirates exceeded expectations. Great division race all season long and it will carry on in to the post-season.

Did I miss something? We still have a playoff game, right?

17. Likes:

Crumbley (10-01-2013)

Overachieve based on that you didn't expect them to do well, or that their talent is playing above their typical ability? I'd agree with the former.

Reds didn't have a disappointing season.... Two other teams in the same division just had exceptional seasons.

The disappointment of this team, in my eyes, are the lack of clutch hitting. Seems they play tighter the bigger the game.

Overall hitting has held this team back. Especially when it gets tight.

I'd argue that offense has been a major disappointment this year, but it's really that they're just inconsistent. The run differential shows that we can score - but we've been bad at getting a run or two when we need them. The numbers above show that the team is slightly under their average, but all-in-all it's just that we can't get runs when we need them. I'm hopeful that Price will be back next year and that we can bring in some better offensive staff (or players).
    Reds record for games attended in 2014: 11-3

Most memorable game attended this season:
    Cueto out-pitching Dickey with a 19 pitch/3 strikeout 9th inning by Chapman

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierReds View Post
    Looking at career OPS .vs. 2013 OPS for every Red with 200 AB's or more. Only Choo (which you can attribute to GABP), Bruce (by only .005), Mesoraco (expected in 2nd year in the bigs) and X Paul are above their career average OPS. All other regulars or semi-regulars are below their career average. Some (Hanigan, Phillips, Heisey) by a significant margin.

Good starting pitching has allowed the Reds to win 90+ games but you have to think even average years by some of the hitters would have led to 5-6 more wins.
    I would say this was far from a disappointing season. I haven't been a reds faithful for but 7 or 8 years (sean casey, adam dunn years), but boy when i first started watching them that was disappointing. When you lost more than you win is disappointing. I think that we as Reds fans have gotten used to the playoffs and winning and have become somewhat non appreciative. We made the playoffs! I will take that any and every year, even if we never win it all. I know it would hurt and I will probably say rude things about them, but that makes it better than not watching them at all in the post season (when its much more special). These guys puts their pants on one leg at a time like we do. They have famiies, car payments, sicknesses, and tons of other problems like the rest of us do but we are so cyincal towards their every mistake like we don't make any could also be a reason for your thinking. No dis-respect, just saying.

Turn Off Ads?