Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Explanation for This disappointing season

Re: Explanation for This disappointing season

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    My explanation for the "disappointing season":

Expectations based on a finishing position rather than a win total.

If the Reds win 91 games and finish in first place, people would be happy.

But because the Reds may win 91 games and finish in third, they are losing their minds.
    Exactly. The ultimate goal is to get to the playoffs. If they won 5 in a row to get there we'd be ecstatic. Lose 5 in a row, we're disappointed. The Reds are in. Now, it's up to them to see how long they play.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I actually think it is fair to call this season disappointing, so far. The goals for this season certainly included winning the division, and setting ourselves into the best possible playoff position. Instead, we have set ourselves up with the hardest possible route to the ultimate goal, without failing entirely.

We are in the playoffs, and the season can still be a success, but I think any Reds fan would admit we have not reached all of our goals for the (regular) season.

jvs
    Last edited by PTjvs; 10-01-2013 at 11:37 AM.

For me personally, yes that was a disappointing season. This team would have had the potential for a deep playoff run. Apart from the obvious fact that we had to deal with injuries all year long, i do not understand why our beloved Reds are so "streaky" on a individual basis hitting wise. I donīt know what the issue is. Is it bad scouting report on the pitchers they face? Or, and thats my guess, does Brook Jacoby really do a good job? Honestly i donīt think so. Because itīs been the same for years now. One night they clobber the opposing pitchers and the next 2 nights? A mere 3 hits or something. Finally get rid of him please Walt.

Sorry guys but i am really frustrated. Maybe i am seeing too much potential in the current team. Maybe they are not as good as i hope they could be. Who knows. But it is kind of depressing to spend night after night till like 3am or 4am watching your ballclub see to falter the way the Reds did.

I'd officially call it a disappointing season now. One and out qualifies it. Dwarf - I don't blame Jacoby. It's the nature of the talent the Reds have on the roster. Jacoby isn't going to fundamentally change the way Hi-C or Todd see the low outside pitch. He isn't going to make them recognize it and stop that trigger urge. Hitting coaches don't make hitters different types of hitters. The Reds have Choo, Votto and Hanigan that I would call patient type hitters. Hanny, of course, shows that patient hitters can be bad hitters, too. The rest are hackers, free swingers. With mixed results. Bruce - pretty darn good. BP - sliding but OK. The rest are wildly inconsistent. I think it may be time to move Jacoby, too, but more because I feel unless you have a really great coach like Price, the rest reach a point where their message isn't being heard anymore. I feel the same way about Dusty. I am not a big critic - more a fan actually. He has been good for this club. But it's time to move on. Time to shake a little complacency out of the clubhouse. Brian Price manager and let him name his own coaching staff.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Hitting coaches don't make hitters different types of hitters.
    I kind of disagree on that. I remember when our longtime first baseman joined our club over here, the whole hitting approach even of us veterans changed completely. The dude not only played but was "working" as our hitting coach as well. Even though he was "slightly" *COUGH* overweight (whenever he hit a double we were afraid he might die of a heart attack) he was one of the most intelligent and patient hitters i have ever seen on any level. And as soon as we got more patient on the plate our Strikeouts went waaaaay down and the on base percentage went the other way. So yes i think a good hitting coach can change at least the whole philosophy of a club.

The other thing which might be the case that the Reds or Dusty really want free swingers. That of course i do not know. It has just been frustatring to watch a lot of ABs of our Cincy guys the last couple of years.

This was a far more complete team on paper than last year's team. Our starting rotation was outstanding and unlike the last couple years I didn't feel like there were any real question marks. I mean, Bronson is Bronson, and we know he's going to be brilliant at times and dreadful other times. At least we know he'd eat innings for us.

Problems arose from unlucky injuries.

Hanigan basically disappeared, and an old frail man took his place.

BP despite his 100 RBI's didn't look all that good this year, and he just looks like age is catching up with him quickly.

We never clicked. If one player got hot, someone else in the lineup went cold. Aside from hitting a bunch of solo homers, what can a hot player do if there is no one to drive in, or no one to drive them in? It just always seemed like the dead part of the lineup was due up when there was an opportunity to score runs.

Turn Off Ads?