Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds need to shake things up in the WC game.

Re: Reds need to shake things up in the WC game.

Ludwick is 7 for his last 21. I would not call that horrible.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Bench Choo for a guy with a .300 OBP in the minor leagues.

I've hard some pretty horrible ideas, but this one is certainly near the top.

Now Ludiwck, that is a different case. He's adding nothing at the moment and doesn't look like he plans to. I'm all for replacing him and adding a different dimension.
    But Liriano kills LHH, and we also know how Choo struggles against lefties.

Don't know what he's done against Liriano career-wise.

On edit: junkhead has the answer, and it's not good:

PA AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

Shin-Soo Choo 32 31 6 0 0 0 2 1 10 .194 .219 .194 .412
    Last edited by malcontent; 09-28-2013 at 09:53 AM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    .083 against Liriano this year, 1 for 12 with a .154 OBP
    Thanks, that's worse than I imagined.

It doesn't matter that Votto and Bruce also have looked terrible against Liriano.

Bruce hits lefties better than Choo does. And Hamilton is an OF.

Blown out may be an exaggeration, but I don't think my concern is from a Chicken Little vibe. Hamilton can, if he gets on, get into Liriano's head.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Choo benched. Over 1.000 OPS vs RHP. And you want him benched. GREAT POST!!!!!
    I'm talking about the WC game. Against Liriano, who has been death to LHH this year (see Liriano thread). Add to that Choo's trouble with lefties in general, and more importantly his horrible stats against Liriano specifically....

If the Reds don't win tonight then Cole will pitch on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    Where did you see that?

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    Not much difference between the two.

Choo: .243 .340 .341
    Bruce: 236 .306 .438
    Bruce has way more power versus lefties. Having said that it'd be insane to bench choo. Sure it's a start versus a tough lefty but ride the horses that got you there and choo has good OBP against lefties despite the lack of hitting. And if you use choo as a pinch hitter the pirates would just use a loogy. I'd consider Hamilton for ludwick to create a spark in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    Yeah, that's not true in the least.

Rob Biertempfel ‏@BiertempfelTrib 19m
    Hurdle: "Liriano is going to get the ball Tuesday." #pirates

Even though I think it should be Hamilton for Choo, Hamilton for Ludwick might do.

So does Ludwick in the 2-hole the last two days mean he'll be there Tuesday?

Or does that mean Hamilton will be there Tuesday? Or might Hamilton lead off with Choo in the 2-hole?

Barney, Rizzo and Darnell McDonald all got to Liriano in his last start. No reason we can't do it. He gave up 7 ER in a start a few weeks ago to Bianchi, Khris Davis and Aramis Ramirez. Rizzo might be the only lefty in that bunch though.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    Frankly, starting Hamilton instead of Choo or Ludwick is the craziest idea I have ever heard.
    I'm just not comfortable with a 0.412 career OPS vs. Liriano leading off, in Pittsburgh, with the season on the line.

Does that make me crazy?

Reds probably should have brought Hamilton up for the playoffs last year.

We wouldn't likely be in this back to the wall predictament if Walt would have made a move on Marlon Byrd or Hunter Pence. I'll never get over Walt's performance this "in season".
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    We wouldn't likely be in this back to the wall predictament if Walt would have made a move on Marlon Byrd or Hunter Pence. I'll never get over Walt's performance this "in season".
    Your assuming those teams were willing to trade with the Reds. I doubt the Reds would have been willing to deal any top prospect for either of those two, and I can't blame them.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

15. Likes:

remdog (09-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Your assuming those teams were willing to trade with the Reds. I doubt the Reds would have been willing to deal any top prospect for either of those two, and I can't blame them.
    The Mets were willing to trade Byrd to the Pirates. Why not the Reds? Not saying I was a fan of acquiring Byrd with Ludwick coming back, but it was certainly doable.

As for top prospects, good luck in 2018. To win the World Series at some point you have to pile on the talent for THIS year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Mets were willing to trade Byrd to the Pirates. Why not the Reds? Not saying I was a fan of acquiring Byrd with Ludwick coming back, but it was certainly doable.

As for top prospects, good luck in 2018. To win the World Series at some point you have to pile on the talent for THIS year.
    Willing as in accepting anything the Reds would have been willing to give up. The Reds made their big prospect purge when they traded for Latos.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

18. Likes:

PepperJack (09-28-2013)

Turn Off Ads?