Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds need to shake things up in the WC game.

Re: Reds need to shake things up in the WC game.

We wouldn't likely be in this back to the wall predictament if Walt would have made a move on Marlon Byrd or Hunter Pence. I'll never get over Walt's performance this "in season".
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    We wouldn't likely be in this back to the wall predictament if Walt would have made a move on Marlon Byrd or Hunter Pence. I'll never get over Walt's performance this "in season".
    Your assuming those teams were willing to trade with the Reds. I doubt the Reds would have been willing to deal any top prospect for either of those two, and I can't blame them.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

4. Likes:

remdog (09-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Your assuming those teams were willing to trade with the Reds. I doubt the Reds would have been willing to deal any top prospect for either of those two, and I can't blame them.
    The Mets were willing to trade Byrd to the Pirates. Why not the Reds? Not saying I was a fan of acquiring Byrd with Ludwick coming back, but it was certainly doable.

As for top prospects, good luck in 2018. To win the World Series at some point you have to pile on the talent for THIS year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Mets were willing to trade Byrd to the Pirates. Why not the Reds? Not saying I was a fan of acquiring Byrd with Ludwick coming back, but it was certainly doable.

As for top prospects, good luck in 2018. To win the World Series at some point you have to pile on the talent for THIS year.
    Willing as in accepting anything the Reds would have been willing to give up. The Reds made their big prospect purge when they traded for Latos.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

7. Likes:

PepperJack (09-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Tell that to Giants fans who saw their team trade 6 years of Zach Wheeler for two months of Carlos Beltran in 2011, only to watch the playoffs from home, while winning the World Series in 2012, while making fringe addition of Scutaro, and paying hefty for 1 and half years of Hunter Pence.

The Braves didn't make a big splash and are sitting pretty, same for the Cards, sometimes the team you start with is good enough.

It would seem if this years trade deadline is foreshadowing the future then a lot of fans are going to have to come to terms with a different culture about trade happening in season.

Not saying you don't try to improve, but the days of teams trading off top prospects may likely be fewer are farther between.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I actually think the Byrd move was huge. I'm afraid Tuesday will confirm my fears.

Jocketty had to know that there was a great chance the Reds would face Pittsburgh in the playoffs. Acquiring Byrd....even if it meant (gasp) sitting Ludwick and Heisey...would have strengthened the Reds and weakened the Pirates in one fell swoop. Some ancient history:

Byrd, who turns 36 on Friday, is having a surprising career year despite his age. In 464 plate appearances, he's batting .285/.330/.518. His 21 homers and 136 OPS+ are both career-bests. Byrd is no longer a regular center fielder (just two games there in 2013), but his defense in right field grades out to a solid +6.6 UZR/150, and The Fielding Bible pegs him at nine runs saved. Pirates right fielders have batted just .245/.307/.368 this season, and their right field defense ranks 24th in baseball, according to UZR, so Byrd's bat and solid glove will be welcome additions in the Steel City.

Byrd is also owed just $130K for the remainder of the season before he hits free agency, so he's an affordable upgrade for the Pirates, financially speaking. Given that salary, it's a surprise to see that the Reds didn't place a claim to block the Pirates from acquiring him. Cincinnati is just 3.5 games out of first in the NL Central while the Pirates are a half-game back of the Cardinals. All three NL Central teams would be in the playoffs if the season ended today, but the Reds and Pirates would face each other in the one-game Wild Card playoff.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...john-buck.html
    Last edited by malcontent; 09-28-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Byrd 3-4 with a HR today. SIX hits in the two games.

Hope Jocketty enjoyed his cruise.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

11. Likes:

DocRed (09-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Byrd 3-4 with a HR today. SIX hits in the two games.

Hope Jocketty enjoyed his cruise.
    One game performances always mean you should have or shouldn't have traded, right?

Come on man. The guy has had a very good season. That is the argument to make, not what he has done on any given particular day.

13. Likes:

Homer Bailey (09-29-2013), marcshoe (09-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    One game performances always mean you should have or shouldn't have traded, right?

Come on man. The guy has had a very good season. That is the argument to make, not what he has done on any given particular day.
    He's had a career year. And my point is that he's HOT NOW.

I strongly suspect that he's going to hurt the Reds Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    He's had a career year. And my point is that he's HOT NOW.

I strongly suspect that he's going to hurt the Reds Tuesday.
    There was a lot of hemming and hawing over Justin Morneau not being blocked too, but I notice no one is posting his stats since he got to Pittsburgh.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I'm not saying the Reds will win or lose but 1 game anything can happen. It will come down to pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    I'm not saying the Reds will win or lose but 1 game anything can happen. It will come down to pitching.
    ...and whether the Reds anemic offense can scratch out enough runs to support it.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    There was a lot of hemming and hawing over Justin Morneau not being blocked too, but I notice no one is posting his stats since he got to Pittsburgh.
    The Reds actually needed Byrd. Morneau would have been a PH.

That said, I expect they'll both show up in the post-season.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    ...and whether the Reds anemic offense can scratch out enough runs to support it.
    you only need 1 if you give up none

A win on Tuesday would remedy so much of the anger and frustration I've accumulated over the course of the season, but I just don't have any confidence whatsoever. Why should I?

Turn Off Ads?