Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ludwick = Washed Up

Re: Ludwick = Washed Up

Alright guys, let's move on from the discussion of the thread's quality and make it about the threads topic...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thanks for the answers to my query above. I'm clear(er). Truly wasn't sure; still learning the culture here some.

On the topic, agree it's way premature to call Luddy washed up. While his age might imply that more than the injury, I'd want to see at least 2 or 3 months next year before reaching any conclusion like that. That said, if we could deal him for value, I'd do it. But probably highly unlikely another team would see big upside there. I would like to see him benched for Tuesday and any games beyond that this PS but would be near shocked if Dusty did that.
    Last edited by 1940757690; 09-28-2013 at 10:53 PM.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    There is a guideline at the bottom of this page that says:

"It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for."

Brutus (and some others) will not be happy until that guideline is eliminated. They are the dreaded Thread Police.
    Yep. Makes it hard to have rational discussions.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    Yep, With many FIRE DUSTY threads to follow. I'm sure you will spread sunshine, rainbows and unicorn threads to tell us everything is ok.
    If someone can't be appreciative of how good an accomplishment it is to make the postseason three times in four season, then I wouldn't waste my time with rainbown and unicorn threads, rather I'd tell people they should go root for the Yankees -- and even that might not be a winning proposition.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

6. Likes:

reds44 (09-30-2013),xsteve1 (09-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Yep. Makes it hard to have rational discussions.
    Rational discussion? Please. The titleof this thread is "Ludwick=Washed Up."

The sky is falling crowd isn't ever rational. They're bitterly grumpy.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

8. Likes:

Big Klu (09-29-2013),reds44 (09-30-2013)

There is a guideline at the bottom of this page that says:

"It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for."

Brutus (and some others) will not be happy until that guideline is eliminated. They are the dreaded Thread Police.
    That's not the problem at all. The problem is some on this board will never be happy unless they're allowed to be endlessly and irrationally pessimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    If someone can't be appreciative of how good an accomplishment it is to make the postseason three times in four season, then I wouldn't waste my time with rainbown and unicorn threads, rather I'd tell people they should go root for the Yankees -- and even that might not be a winning proposition.
    Oh please, why are appreciating your teams accomplishments and complaining when they underachieve, necessarily contradictory? The problem is you can't distinguish between legitimate criticism and frivolous over reacting. You're as bad in your own way as the guy who hates Baker and blames him every time the team loses. You are just the other side of the coin.

11. Likes:

jojo (09-29-2013),KYRedsFan (09-29-2013),OnBaseMachine (09-29-2013),remdog (09-29-2013),toledodan (09-29-2013)

That's not the problem at all. The problem is some on this board will never be happy unless they're allowed to be endlessly and irrationally pessimistic.
    The problem is you think all criticism of the Reds is "endlessly and irrationally pessimistic.". And that in itself is irrational.

13. Likes:

jojo (09-29-2013),remdog (09-29-2013),toledodan (09-29-2013)

Oh please, why are appreciating your teams accomplishments and complaining when they underachieve, necessarily contradictory? The problem is you can't distinguish between legitimate criticism and frivolous over reacting. You're as bad in your own way as the guy who hates Baker and blames him every time the team loses. You are just the other side of the coin.
    Is the opening post legitimate criticism? The thread is titled "Ludwick = Washed Up". Calls him "finished" in the initial post. Takes a shot at Dusty in the process. And then a few posts into it the OP concedes that next year will be the year to tell if he is truly washed up due to the injury.

No one asked my opinion, but to me, a legitimate thread could be entitled "Is Ludwick Washed Up?" and provide reasonable debate. This thread was doomed from the opening post, sorry.

15. Likes:

Big Klu (09-29-2013),reds44 (09-30-2013)

Gotta tell you...maybe to lighten this just a bit...I'm really beginning to appreciate the value of RZ experience here.

I'm optimistic by nature and have generally been so here on RZ. But I definitely dig some good, substantive, constructive criticism too. The world--and thus this board--would be too boring without it. I guess I distinguish some--at least in my own mind--between supported criticism of player/team/mamagement performance and the broader doom-and-gloom forecasts. But everyone has to have the right to post whatever they want, absent personal hostility.

I'm just going to need to start keeping a scorecard on who the most ardent pessimists, the most irrational, the annoying optimists and all the others here are. You few-thousand-post/multi-year types have a big advantage there. Most of the time, from the limited reading I've done here, most people seem like they're more multifaceted/tougher to label or pigeon hole. I'm learning.
    Last edited by 1940757690; 09-28-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Ludwick is hurt and still recovering. Give him time to heal in the offseason before you proclaim him done.

This is the first time I have commented on Ludwick's return:
    If he wasn't ready to play at 100%, he shouldn't have been activated.
    If the Reds would have been running away with the division, I could see nursing him back by giving him off and on playing time......but reality is we were in 3rd place, not playing much better than .500, and needed a push to help the team succeed. The way I see it, management went on the cheap and wouldn't spend money to bring in anyone. I lay the blame on management for not addressing the problem early in the season when the LF platoon system wasn't showing much if any production. Management's failure to get any help for the team has the window of opportunity for a Championship closer to closed. With the impending loss of Choo, offense could well be much worse next year.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Is the opening post legitimate criticism? The thread is titled "Ludwick = Washed Up". Calls him "finished" in the initial post. Takes a shot at Dusty in the process. And then a few posts into it the OP concedes that next year will be the year to tell if he is truly washed up due to the injury.

No one asked my opinion, but to me, a legitimate thread could be entitled "Is Ludwick Washed Up?" and provide reasonable debate. This thread was doomed from the opening post, sorry.
    I don't agree with the original post but that doesn't make it not "legitimate". In any event the comment
    "So these are the types of quality threads we have to look forward to if the Reds lose on Tuesday?" is just trolling and its typical of the way this guy responds to any criticism of the Reds, legitimate or not.

The problem is you think all criticism of the Reds is "endlessly and irrationally pessimistic.". And that in itself is irrational.
    Baloney. The Reds are averaging over 90 wins the last four years and the amount of whining on this board is totally out of proportion with how successful the Reds have been.

You just haven't learned the difference between constructive criticism and constant negativity. There is nothing redeeming or constructive about starting threads like "so and so is washed up." I don't have a problem with constructive threads. This isn't constructive. It's trolling.

20. Likes:

reds44 (09-30-2013),westofyou (09-29-2013)

Baloney. The Reds are averaging over 90 wins the last four years and the amount of whining on this board is totally out of proportion with how successful the Reds have been.
    Relative to other boards on the internet, this board is like milk and cookies.

22. Likes:

jojo (09-29-2013)

Well, this one is certainly more fitting of the "site feedback" forum than baseball forum.

24. Likes:

Big Klu (09-29-2013)

Turn Off Ads?