Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official Wild Card Pre-Game Thread

Re: Official Wild Card Pre-Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    First big question.

Assuming Mesoraco can go, who catches?
    Uh, Mes. But guessing yours is a trick question?
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

With off days the last 4 days and another off day tomorrow, the Reds lineup should be well rested and ready to go on Tuesday. Biggest game of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    Uh, Mes. But guessing yours is a trick question?
    Not a trick, I think it is a legitimate question.

I pick Mes also.

5. Likes:

1940757690 (09-29-2013),Old school 1983 (09-29-2013),PepperJack (09-29-2013),SirFelixCat (09-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    First big question.

Assuming Mesoraco can go, who catches?

I think it has nothing do to with Mesoraco's health. It has been about which pitcher is going.

If Hanigan is healthy, he has caught Arroyo/Bailey/Cueto no matter Mes or any other match-up. Mesoraco has caught every start by Latos/Leake all season, while getting mixed in with Cingrani/Reynolds depending on Hani/Corky availability.

So with the announced Cueto start I expect to see:

Choo
    Ludwick/Phillips*
    Votto
    Ludwick/Phillips*
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Cozart
    Hanigan
    Cueto

*Depending on Phillips leg. Phillips will be in the game as long as he can walk.

7. Likes:

mth123 (09-29-2013)

That said I would start Mesoraco personally. But I don't think Dusty will at all.

9. Likes:

HokieRed (09-29-2013),Old school 1983 (09-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    I am appreciative that the Reds are giving us at least one October game that matters for the third time in four years. I really am. From the misery of 1996-2009 to post-season games 3 times in 4 season is very nice. I don't take it for granted.

Having said that, and I know a few others here agree, this season has lacked some "juice" for me-- I've never really believe in this team per se. Yes, every time it looked like we might tank, we righted the ship. But every time I thought they might make a significant move, they almost inexplicably went "blah.

Other than the week of the Cards/Dodgers series in early Sept, there wasn't one other stretch of games this entire season where I felt the Reds looked like a team that could make a deep October run. We usually looked pretty good. Sometimes we looked pretty bad. On a few occasions, we looked great.

I'm not confident Tuesday. Seems like we are going into a bees nest and I fear we may have spiraled into one of our offensive swoons just in time for it. This seems like Pittsburgh's game to win-- they really stepped up over the past two weeks or so while we were sort of "eh."

I'll be parked in front of the TV Tuesday, nervous and excited and rooting them on. But give me truth serum and I don't see our post season lasting more than one night.

The good news is that baseball is a weird game and maybe if we can get that one win it can springboard to a big run.
    I actually feared the Reds sweeping this series and letting up on Tues night and have the Pirates clean their clock.Well maybe the opposite will happen.Yes we are probably walking into a bees nest but it sure feels good to be there.I know of ten other teams that would like that chance.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

11. Likes:

goreds2 (09-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    I think it has nothing do to with Mesoraco's health. It has been about which pitcher is going.

If Hanigan is healthy, he has caught Arroyo/Bailey/Cueto no matter Mes or any other match-up. Mesoraco has caught every start by Latos/Leake all season, while getting mixed in with Cingrani/Reynolds depending on Hani/Corky availability.

So with the announced Cueto start I expect to see:

Choo
    Izturis
    Votto
    Ludwick
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Cozart
    Hanigan
    Cueto

*Depending on Phillips leg. Phillips will be in the game as long as he can walk.
    I fixed it

When do the Reds have to set the wild card game roster? It will be interesting how many pitchers they go with.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

10 AM Tuesday.

15. Likes:

CySeymour (09-29-2013),goreds2 (09-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    10 AM Tuesday.
    Thanks!
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Since this is the Official thread, I guess I'll post this here.

With Liriano starting for Pittsburgh, some numbers to consider against LHP (avg/obp/slg/ops, PAs) small samples, but here they are.

Heisey .259/.316/.494/.810, 98
    Ludwick .269/.321/.462/.783, 28
    Robinson .288/.367/.375/.742, 92
    Bruce .296/.291/.443/.734, 221
    Choo .215/.347/.265/.612, 221

Mesoraco .321/.386/.487/.874, 88
    Hanigan .222/.311/.296/.608, 63

Hamilton starting shouldn't be an option. Bruce and Choo have to be in there, but Heisey or Ludwick would seem a decent option against Liriano. Mesoraco should probably play if he's able, but Cueto seems to prefer Hanigan. Not sure it's as set in stone as Arroyo or even Bailey, but I'd guess Hanigan will be back there. Hamilton will still be a factor in a close game. As a PR, he's going to get a chance steal a run. As a starter, there isn't even a guarantee he'll get on base to do his thing at all. I'd rather have the bats (I'd probably start Heisey, but I'll guess Ludwick gets the call).

Votto (.824 OPS) and Frazier (.782 OPS) are the Reds best regulars against LHP. Frazier is swinging well at this point. My theoretical line-up?

Choo CF
    Heisey LF
    Votto 1B
    Frazier 3B
    Bruce RF
    Mesoraco C
    Phillips 2B
    Cozart SS
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I don't know how the Reds can justify keeping Baker around should the Reds lose this game. Let's hope this bridge doesn't have to be crossed.

I'd prefer to see the Pennsylvania boys play, Heisey and Mesoraco. But I'm guessing it'll be the vets instead.

I am strangely calm about this game. 7-2 Reds. Something big.

21. Likes:

CySeymour (09-29-2013),goreds2 (09-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by holster10 View Post
    I don't know how the Reds can justify keeping Baker around should the Reds lose this game. Let's hope this bridge doesn't have to be crossed.
    True, and not arguing the point. Just don't know who's out there that would be that much better.

Turn Off Ads?