Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Official Wild Card Pre-Game Thread

Re: Official Wild Card Pre-Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not many play-off teams get no hit in the post-season...

Not many play-off teams win the first two on the road only to lose a best of 5 by losing three in a row at home...
    so true it's sad.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not many play-off teams get no hit in the post-season...

Not many play-off teams win the first two on the road only to lose a best of 5 by losing three in a row at home...
    I didn't realize either of those has happened to this version of the Reds.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    No reason to bring Latos right? They already said they're HOPING he's available Thursday. I'd probably add Robinson as #23. Leake over Latos as the backup/emergency SP. If Duke is eligible, I think he'll be #24. Cingrani if available, Ondrusek if not as 25. Not sure thought if I have too many "exemptions" in there that weren't around on Aug 31.
    Here is what I'd do...
    Johnnie goes 5 or 6 hopefully.
    Chapman in the 9th.
    Every RP on the team is available for matchups in the 6th-7th-8th.
    Leake emergency starter if Cueto gets hurt or if the game goes long.
    Why Leake? Bailey pitched Friday, Arroyo is hurt (I think) & Latos is hurt.

Come to think of it I'd ask Bailey/Price if they think he can go an inning or two. I'd rather see him in the 6th/7th than most of the middle relivers on the team.

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-30-2013)

Turned on WLW's stream, no local hype show the day before the biggest game of the season, some Bengals thing is on.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Turned on WLW's stream, no local hype show the day before the biggest game of the season, some Bengals thing is on.
    Lame

8. Likes:

goreds2 (10-01-2013), REDREAD (10-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I didn't realize either of those has happened to this version of the Reds.
    You mean the Phillips, Arroyo, Votto, Bruce, Cueto, Bailey, Leake, Chapman, Hanigan core that was around for both. I'd say that qualifies as this version of the Reds.

I would agree that it didn't happen to Rose, Bench and Perez versions (but losing to the Mets in 73 did and to the Reggie-less A's in 72 did). It didn't happen to the Davis, Larkin, Sabo, Browning, Dibble, Charlton core either. Derringer, Walters, Lombardi, McCormick and Goodman didn't have that happen to them either.

But the core of this team has already had that happen. One of those things happened last year with every major player on this roster sans Choo having been here for it.

Actually, now that we've debated that, it's not really the point. The point is counting on the odds of not losing 4 in a row to the same team because it's rare isn't anything to count on. Rare stuff happens and has happened to this core group of the Reds the last two times they've reached the play-offs.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Lots of this crap going around right now:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/62272194/

a similar, slightly less overtly biased piece in the NYTimes today as well.

The general sense seems to be that everybody is supposed to root for the Pirates because they've been so bad the last 20 years. As opposed to the Red who, we all know, have had such incredible success in that time, regular- and postseason.

I don't get this. It's not like the Pirates kept coming close to success and experienced bad luck. They were an organization run by people who crapped on it and left it to die. The fans deserted it. All of a sudden, because they're good, everybody's evidently supposed to respect them and root for them above all other teams.

I get Pirates fans coming back and I get Pittsburgh-area fans coming forward. I didn't desert the Reds when they were so horribly run but there were many times when I probably should have, for my own well-being. What I don't get is the sense that impartial fans should be rooting for the Pirates because they've been losing for a long time. Yeah, they've been losing for a long time, because they did it to themselves. Because the Reds had a shorter period of mismanagement, worked hard to get the team back on track, and happened to do so three years earlier than the Pirates -- with bad luck in the playoffs since -- they're somehow less root-worthy?

Whatever. i get too wrapped up in this stuff when I need something to occupy my mind. Hopefully after tonight it will be moot.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

11. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-01-2013), KittyDuran (10-01-2013), REDREAD (10-01-2013)

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    It's called a contract.

13. Likes:

MillerTime58 (10-01-2013)

Roster is out. No suprises. Cueto Leak two starting pitchers. Here is link but is also on Fay's enquirer blog and sheldon's reds blog. http://t.co/JN3cVg7HgQ

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Lots of this crap going around right now:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/62272194/

a similar, slightly less overtly biased piece in the NYTimes today as well.

The general sense seems to be that everybody is supposed to root for the Pirates because they've been so bad the last 20 years. As opposed to the Red who, we all know, have had such incredible success in that time, regular- and postseason.

I don't get this. It's not like the Pirates kept coming close to success and experienced bad luck. They were an organization run by people who crapped on it and left it to die. The fans deserted it. All of a sudden, because they're good, everybody's evidently supposed to respect them and root for them above all other teams.

I get Pirates fans coming back and I get Pittsburgh-area fans coming forward. I didn't desert the Reds when they were so horribly run but there were many times when I probably should have, for my own well-being. What I don't get is the sense that impartial fans should be rooting for the Pirates because they've been losing for a long time. Yeah, they've been losing for a long time, because they did it to themselves. Because the Reds had a shorter period of mismanagement, worked hard to get the team back on track, and happened to do so three years earlier than the Pirates -- with bad luck in the playoffs since -- they're somehow less root-worthy?

Whatever. i get too wrapped up in this stuff when I need something to occupy my mind. Hopefully after tonight it will be moot.
    It's like the '92 Braves. They had been down for so long, the national press thought it was a nice story that the hapless Braves and their long-suffering fans were finally experiencing success. Everyone said "aaaawww".

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Any lineup that includes Chris Heisey is crazy. Especially if the other player is Choo. I don't care how horrible Choo is against left handers. I don't care because Heisey is mostly horrible against every pitcher. Once in awhile a blind squirrel finds a nut, but this is not once in awhile. Just one more reason why this is going to be a very stressful night.
    I agree with this as well.
    Linerio has a really nasty slider (?) .. In general, Heisey does not do well against pitchers with excellent breaking balls. I have more hope that Choo will at least draw a walk or two by laying off those breaking pitchers.

Plus Choo has hit/OBP much better in the second half vs lefties. I think his horrible numbers vs LH pitchers in the first half were somewhat of a fluke.

Choo was something like 8th in the league in runs created this year? I don't bench a guy like that in a do or die game for Heisey..
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    Matchups deleted
    I disagree with Mercer-Cozart.
    Cozart started awful offensively, but has made real adjustments which have lead to his strong finish. This isn't a fluke. I haven't watched a lot of Mercer, but Cozart may have an edge defensively. Even if they are defensively equal, I call this one a push.

Bruce is only a moderate advantage over Byrd? Don't think so.. Byrd has had a career year, but Bruce is a better player.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?