Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Urgency, or the lack thereof

Re: Urgency, or the lack thereof

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yeah.

I've liked Dusty for quite a while, but he lost me this weekend. Urgency, intensity, the will to win, whatever you want to call it, this team ain't got it. And the Pirates had it. It was visible and discernable.

It's not a switch that can get turned on. It's a habit. You need to play that way all the time.
    The Reds had all the urgency in the world in 2010 and they were swept in three games. Bottom line is that you just have to play well no matter how 'urgent' you act. The Reds didn't.

I still think people are making too big a deal out of this weekend, though. The Reds have been to the playoffs. They clinched already. While they wanted a home game, I'm sure, they probably don't view it as big a deal as people on this board do. The Pirates haven't had a playoff series in 20 years... I have no doubt they are much more "urgent" than the Reds were.

But Tuesday night will probably be a different story.

By the way, people have short memories. Just two weeks ago, the Reds looked awfully urgent against the Cardinals and Dodgers. I guess those games don't count though.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've taken up for Dusty quite a bit but there is no explanation for how he managed this weekend. Really really bad.

4. Likes:

CySeymour (09-29-2013),remdog (09-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    The Reds had all the urgency in the world in 2010 and they were swept in three games. Bottom line is that you just have to play well no matter how 'urgent' you act. The Reds didn't.

I still think people are making too big a deal out of this weekend, though. The Reds have been to the playoffs. They clinched already. While they wanted a home game, I'm sure, they probably don't view it as big a deal as people on this board do. The Pirates haven't had a playoff series in 20 years... I have no doubt they are much more "urgent" than the Reds were.

By the way, people have short memories. Just two weeks ago, the Reds looked awfully urgent against the Cardinals and Dodgers. I guess those games don't count though.
    They count, but so did the last three series.

6. Likes:

joshua (09-30-2013),remdog (09-29-2013)

Not the best to go into a one game playoff on such a down swing.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    They count, but so did the last three series.
    The Reds took two out of three in Pittsburgh last weekend, so I assume you mean the last two.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sorry, you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post

Nah, not buying that story.

If they were the BRM or the '27 Yankees or a dominating team and you knew they knew how to turn it on, I'd be OK with it.

But this is an inconsistent team and part of the thing that has separated them from being a 97 game winner is mental mistakes. You may be confident they'll come out Tuesday night a magically transformed team, but I'm not.

Being flatter than a pancake against the team you will face for a one-game-for-all-the-marbles and letting them sweep you in your home park is a very odd way of preparation.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

11. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-30-2013),joshua (09-30-2013),Redsfansince72 (09-30-2013),remdog (09-29-2013)

If they were the BRM or the '27 Yankees or a dominating team and you knew they knew how to turn it on, I'd be OK with it.

But this is an inconsistent team and part of the thing that has separated them from being a 97 game winner is mental mistakes. You may be confident they'll come out Tuesday night a magically transformed team, but I'm not.

Being flatter than a pancake against the team you will face for a one-game-for-all-the-marbles and letting them sweep you in your home park is a very odd way of preparation.
    They don't need to be a "magically transformed team". They just need to play like they did with their last series against the Cards and the Dodgers, and like they did last week when they were in Pittsburgh.

"Inconsistent" is the right word to describe this team, especially in the last month. They've been up, then down, then up, then down. They were certainly down this week, which means they have a good chance of being up Tuesday. I believe they'll win.

So which is it, they aren't capable of turning it on or few teams outside of the '27 Yankees are capable of turning it on? If you're suggesting that few teams are actually capable of "turning it on" then I happen to agree with you (as that was ultimately the point I was making). And contrary to what you're saying, or what others have said, I'm not optimistic about Tuesday because the Reds are slumping at the wrong time. And like I said, I don't think any baseball team is really able to just turn it on at a moment's notice.

Nonetheless, prior to this week, they took 3 of 4 from St. Louis, 3 of 3 from L.A. and 2 of 3 in Pittsburgh. That kind of contradicts the idea they're incapable of rising to the occasion.
    Last edited by Brutus; 09-29-2013 at 06:14 PM.

My issue with this team isn't a sense of urgency. There is no doubt in my mind relaxed is the only way to play baseball.

My issue is how they clinch up/choke when the pressure comes on. It's a hallmark of Baker managed teams and its eroding the opportunity to win a championship while this talent window is open.

Someone mentioned the Cards Dodgers series. Immediately after that they have momentum and are very much in the thick of a pennant chase, not for the last WC spot but the division. What do they do? Lose 6 out of 9 to the Cubs, Brewers and Mets down the stretch.

Its a repeat of 2010, 2012 and Bakers 2002 Giants, 2003 Cubs teams so far. It's possible they flip the switch and make a playoff run but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm really surprised people are getting on Dusty for not blowing through his bullpen when he knew he has to play a win or go home game against the same team on Tuesday.

Congrats, the Pirates swept the Reds this weekend. If the Pirates lose on Tuesday, that sweep meant jack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

16. Likes:

757690 (09-30-2013),Brutus (09-30-2013),REDREAD (09-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It probably meant an extra $2M in ticket sales.

Why do you need a long man? LeCure, Chapman, Hoover, Marshall and any other reliever on the roster all get 1 inning and you finish out the game. This isn't May.
    Per Rule 45 of the CBA:

All paid attendance receipts not paid to the Commissioner’s Office or contributed to the Players Pool is shared equally between the two teams in each Series or Wild Card game.

That doesn't begin to touch the economic impact to the businesses surrounding the stadium, hotels, taxes, etc.

18. Likes:

Brutus (09-30-2013)

Reds 2013 Post Season Theme song!

You say it's urgent
    Make it fast, make it urgent
    Do it quick, do it urgent
    Gotta rush, make it urgent
    Want it quick
    Urgent, urgent, emergency
    So urgent, emergency
    Emer... emer... emer...
    It's urgent
    This sounds like a clear advocation for Billy Hamilton to be on the postseason roster.
    Last edited by klw; 09-30-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Think ahead to the end of the postseason. How many here can honestly say they believe this looks like a World Series championship team?

Obviously, if they get there, that means they'll be looking a lot different than they do right now. But right now, I can't fathom this team, playing the way it is, in the World Series.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

21. Likes:

Slyder (10-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Think ahead to the end of the postseason. How many here can honestly say they believe this looks like a World Series championship team?

Obviously, if they get there, that means they'll be looking a lot different than they do right now. But right now, I can't fathom this team, playing the way it is, in the World Series.
    If the bats get hot, and stay hot for more than one game, then they can beat anyone. At this point however that's akin to using "someone has to win" and playing the lottery.

Turn Off Ads?