Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Urgency, or the lack thereof

Re: Urgency, or the lack thereof

Of the two teams in Ohio: The Reds aren't limping into the playoffs...they're being pushed in on a stretcher. Meanwhile up north, the Indians are the hottest team in baseball. They are a boulder going downhill that looks like it's going to destroy everything in it's path. I don't think ANYONE could have predicted that this season. That's part of the reason why baseball is such an amazing game.

Anyways, It's frustrating being destroyed by the friggin' Pirates and watching the Cardinals, who have clinched the division, playing like they're in game 7 every night just to clinch homefield advantage.

We traded a very good, young Shortstop (a position which is considered a weakness on the major league club) for Choo. I thought having a high OBP hitter at the very top of the lineup was the only missing piece this ballclub needed to get over the hump and start destroying other teams in the postseason, but it's obvious now that it's not the case. Frazier's not doing quite the damag, and e he did last year and while I knew we caught lightning in a bottle with Ludwick in 2012 and expected him to regress badly, I didn't expect him to get hurt, enrage the majority of the fanbase and hit like Stubbs to close out the season.

The frustrating part for me is that I know we are in much worse shape next season. Losing Choo is going to be an awful loss. Same with Arroyo, who is about as reliable of a pitcher as I've ever seen.

If we barely scrape our way into the playoffs this year, a year when I thought we'd win the division by 5 games, I hate to think of what this club is going to look like next season. This was supposed to be the year. Instead it looks like another embarrassing early playoff exit is more likely. And I'll spend the offseason looking at the roster and wondering how we're supposed to win when on paper we're much worse. If the Reds get shut out, or (lord Jesus help me) no-hit on Tuesday, this is going to be one long, long winter.

And despite being a sabre guy, I absolutely do think that putting some fire under some asses is worth a win or three in the regular season. I work in the medical field, I've read many studies that show that just having a positive and optimistic attitude can lead to faster recovery times and fewer complications, even with major surgery so I absolutely believe that can translate into some wins on the ball field. I don't expect the players to be Rey Lewis on meth for 162 games, but when September comes around and players are tired, sore and worn out some motivation can go a long way. I see other team's dugouts going insane during typical regular season games when they're trailing by a run late and rarely see that attitude from the Reds.

Just coming from behind to win a game and thinking "I knew it!" would be a lot better than "I can't believe it!"

Winning on Tuesday will change a bit of the pessimism, but it will come flooding right back if we lose the NLDS. Pennant or bust.
    Last edited by joshua; 09-30-2013 at 11:23 AM.

2. Likes:

Marc D (09-30-2013),remdog (09-30-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

There does seem to be kind of bad vibe with team chemistry. I don't think the Ludwick quote would have happened if him and the team were confident[In fairness, I have not heard the complete quote] . I saw BP on Rome on Friday. Brandon never seems completely bummed out, but he seemed really disappointed in the way the team has played. I did not know of the Ludwick quote, but he said," our play has nothing to do with the fans; we just have not played up to our potential." Obviously, it's not great when the rest of the team has to put out Ludwick's fire. It seems to be one of the biggest irritants of pro-athletes is when they have to defend teammate's dumb quotes and actions.

I know one reason fans love the game is you never know what will happen tomorrow, but it's hard to be optimistic on a Monday, but maybe it just my Monday am funk.
    Last edited by Eric from NC; 09-30-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Joe Sheehan, on Will Leitch's 'Sports on Earth' podcast today, makes the claim that team performance (read: momentum) heading into the postseason has had no bearing on playoff performances. (I suspect he's referencing this piece: http://mlb.si.com/2012/10/04/athleti...nkees-momentu/)

Let's hope the Reds can strengthen this macro finding by winning Tuesday and going deep in the playoffs.

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'm really surprised people are getting on Dusty for not blowing through his bullpen when he knew he has to play a win or go home game against the same team on Tuesday.

Congrats, the Pirates swept the Reds this weekend. If the Pirates lose on Tuesday, that sweep meant jack.
    I, for one, think playing at home for the WC game is important. The Reds are .500 on the road and 20 games over .500 at home. Seems to be an advantage to me.

What the quote from Dusty said was that they punted thegame on Saturday to save the pen. To me, you don't give up till the cause is lost. I thought the pen saving was at best premature and at worst defeatist.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

8. Likes:

remdog (09-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I, for one, think playing at home for the WC game is important. The Reds are .500 on the road and 20 games over .500 at home. Seems to be an advantage to me.

What the quote from Dusty said was that they punted thegame on Saturday to save the pen. To me, you don't give up till the cause is lost. I thought the pen saving was at best premature and at worst defeatist.
    I would think so too, but the Reds are 0-4 at home in there last 2 playoff seasons. (2-2 away)

10. Likes:

Brutus (09-30-2013)

Turn Off Ads?