• Pirates

57 35.85%
  • Reds

102 64.15%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tuesday

Re: Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Can we not waste time, postseason time no less, questioning other people's fandom? I think the hours, weeks of life that people spend on this board, the obvious critical thought they expend on this team, the emotional turmoil they allow themselves to go through in the name of a baseball team, makes the question of whether they are Reds fans pretty much moot.

Fans of the same team can have different opinions about it. It's not a my-way-or-the-highway type of thing. Some people think the Pirates look like the better team right now. Some people are worried about injuries. Some people are superstitious and afraid to jinx. There are dozens of reasons why a Reds fan might not think the Reds are going to win tomorrow. It doesn't mean he or she doesn't want them to win and it doesn't make him or her less than a fan. And he or she shouldn't have to justify "fandom" just because of a different opinion and shouldn't have to lie to his fellow fans, of all people, at a place that is supposed to be a repository of thought, an exchange of different opinions, and an outlet for worry. This is a really insulting and damaging line of thought.
    See, the thing is, all that matters is how *I* voted. Because its a well-known fact that I am the center of the universe and what *I* think is all that matters.

So I voted Reds. You can all be rest assured now that the Reds will win.

Contributions are welcome.

Pay attention to the open sky

2. Likes:

1940757690 (09-30-2013), Caveat Emperor (09-30-2013), vaticanplum (09-30-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Reds win because I need them to win.

We all do.
    Suck it up cupcake.

5. Likes:

RadfordVA (09-30-2013)

Voted Reds just because I don't want to believe Pirates can take four straight from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    By this logic, why show up on the minor league forum if you aren't going to predict every Reds prospect is a future superstar?

I mean, lie about it to yourself and the rest of us, right?
    Because the Reds have a legitimate chance to actually win the game. Every prospect isn't going to be a future superstar. The Reds winning or losing the game on Tuesday is basically a coin flip.

Can we not waste time, postseason time no less, questioning other people's fandom? I think the hours, weeks of life that people spend on this board, the obvious critical thought they expend on this team, the emotional turmoil they allow themselves to go through in the name of a baseball team, makes the question of whether they are Reds fans pretty much moot.

Fans of the same team can have different opinions about it. It's not a my-way-or-the-highway type of thing. Some people think the Pirates look like the better team right now. Some people are worried about injuries. Some people are superstitious and afraid to jinx. There are dozens of reasons why a Reds fan might not think the Reds are going to win tomorrow. It doesn't mean he or she doesn't want them to win and it doesn't make him or her less than a fan. And he or she shouldn't have to justify "fandom" just because of a different opinion and shouldn't have to lie to his fellow fans, of all people, at a place that is supposed to be a repository of thought, an exchange of different opinions, and an outlet for worry. This is a really insulting and damaging line of thought.
    I am not questioning the fandom of others, I just don't get coming here to say we are going to lsoe.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am not questioning the fandom of others, I just don't get coming here to say we are going to lsoe.
    I didn't come here for that particular purpose. I was wholly unaware there was going to be a poll.

10. Likes:

LexRedsFan (09-30-2013)

Give me the Reds. Cueto deals. The hoopla and craziness in Pittsburgh gets their young guys too pumped up and it affects their play. They give up a run or two due to errors and mental mistakes. Reds take it 4-2.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

If the Reds are able to score more runs than the Pirates, then I'm fairly confident that the Reds will win. However, if the Pirates score more runs than the Reds, I'm less confident that the Reds will win.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Like I said.... just lie about it to yourself and the rest of us. Don't lie to your bookie, but you can lie to us.

Reds fans, pick the Reds. There is nothing on the line to pick the Reds on a Reds message board. So just do it. /crazypersonrant
    Why have a poll if you want everyone to vote one way? No dissenting on this forum, indiviuals are not entitled to having their own opinion, sounds like my neighbors to north.

14. Likes:

TSJ55 (09-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by chuck6660 View Post
    Why have a poll if you want everyone to vote one way? No dissenting on this forum, indiviuals are not entitled to having their own opinion, sounds like my neighbors to north.
    I didn't make the poll.

I don't know, just doesn't seem like the time to be all honest and say "yeah, we are going to lose", but that is just me.

16. Likes:

PuffyPig (09-30-2013)

If this poll were Stalin's USSR, much of RZ would be in Siberia tomorrow.

18. Likes:

reds1869 (09-30-2013)

Wasn't online when this thread started and just read all of it. Loved it. Voted Reds. And, have to add a few thoughts in response to others below.

I will ask this as nicely as possible.... if you voted for the Pirates, why even show up here?
    And, I'll ask this "as nicely as possible." Did you really do your utmost to ask that especially nicely or were you just pandering? I think the latter but I'm okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Season ends Tuesday.
    Boo. Big Boo.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    If the bats show up, my money is on the Reds, but then again, isn't that always the rule in baseball?
    In baseball or with the Reds? Think I'd have different answers but maybe I'm just more confused than others.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Impossible to predict, but voted Reds on a hunch one of the supporting cast will come-up big. Cozart is my guess.
    Cozy's an excellent guess. I'm going with Frazier simply because he deserves the best-supporting--actor…er, real guy award for the Teddy Kremer video and he can hit homers. Go Todd.

Totally appreciate this sentiment, vaticanplum. And, I don't know DougDirt well at all, not even here online since I'm newer 'round these parts. But I'd guess that someone with screen name "dougdirt" is probably fond of a little pot stirring and might not really disagree with you. I could be wrong. As I say, I don't know the gentleman. But, if I am right, I certainly appreciate a little good pot-stirring to provoke an interesting discussion/debate.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    The question wasn't who do you want to win Tuesday, it was who wins Tuesday... You can be a fan and still be rational enough to say Liriano at home is a tough matchup for the Reds and give the Pirates the edge.
    You can also say that the Pirates are 0-4 in games Liriano has stated vs. the Reds.

Pretty much every game between decent teams is basically 50/50.

Turn Off Ads?