Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Scoreboard Watching 2013 (Playoffs Edition)

They call me "chef"

Re: Scoreboard Watching 2013 (Playoffs Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    The Pirates are going to crash hard next season. They might still finish above .500, but I seriously doubt they'll win 90+ again. They had to have a bunch of things go right to win 94 this season. They were charmed.
    I don't know.

Liriano, Byrd, Martin, Morneau, and Burnett seem likely to repeat their outlier career resurrections, while young'uns Alvarez, Cole, Locke, and the rest are surely going to repeat their MVP half-seasons.

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-10-2013),WVRedsFan (10-10-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I don't know.

Liriano, Byrd, Martin, Morneau, and Burnett seem likely to repeat their outlier career resurrections, while young'uns Alvarez, Cole, Locke, and the rest are surely going to repeat their MVP half-seasons.
    Cole is legit. Alvarez looks like he might be turning the corner and becoming the star he was projected to be. But there's no way those other guys keep it up.

If any player started using PEDs this season, it was Liriano.

The Pirates are going to crash hard next season. They might still finish above .500, but I seriously doubt they'll win 90+ again. They had to have a bunch of things go right to win 94 this season. They were charmed.
    I agree that they were charmed, but not sure if they are for real or not. I hope you're right. My in laws became Pirate fans last year when they were in first place, stayed quiet when things fell apart at the end and became total jerks this year. Never mind that they hated baseball for two decades before this, the number of emails and calls got to be harassment. Especially when they beat the Reds, which was often. Luckily, all is quiet tonight.

But, unless the Reds re-tool the offense(keep Choo, or a good replacement--not Billy Hamilton--and find an acceptable bench), hire the right manager, and get into the free agent market while cutting chaff, they may be forever in third place.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Suck it, Pirates.
    Well put, Tom. They're bad again. Hallelujah!
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

7. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-10-2013)

If the A's don't win tomorrow, the only teams left will be ones I don't want to win. All 3 teams I've been rooting for in the Division Series have lost so far.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Somehow dodging the self-inflicted head-shot that resigning Pujols surely would have been...is the clearest proof to me that the baseball gods are Cardinals fans.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

10. Likes:

Beltway (10-10-2013),MikeThierry (10-10-2013),WVRedsFan (10-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I agree that they were charmed, but not sure if they are for real or not. I hope you're right. My in laws became Pirate fans last year when they were in first place, stayed quiet when things fell apart at the end and became total jerks this year. Never mind that they hated baseball for two decades before this, the number of emails and calls got to be harassment. Especially when they beat the Reds, which was often. Luckily, all is quiet tonight.

But, unless the Reds re-tool the offense(keep Choo, or a good replacement--not Billy Hamilton--and find an acceptable bench), hire the right manager, and get into the free agent market while cutting chaff, they may be forever in third place.
    I hate to say it, but I think this division is the Cardinals' to lose next year. I hope Jocketty can work some magic in the offseason, but we just don't have the farm system to keep up with the Cards without some good free agent signings or trades. Jocketty has done it before. Maybe we could get Beltran, LOL.

I hate to say it, but I think this division is the Cardinals' to lose next year. I hope Jocketty can work some magic in the offseason, but we just don't have the farm system to keep up with the Cards without some good free agent signings or trades. Jocketty has done it before. Maybe we could get Beltran, LOL.
    True. All of it, but he got us here a and only missed by a little bit. I'm more concerned about the silly contracts to Ondrusek, Hannahan, Izturis, And others. Giving a two year contract to Logan and Jack borders on insanity. That allowed Dusty to use them enough to hurt the team. Totally unlike Walt. Money constraints?
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Cards Ace goes the distance when it matters.

Reds "ace" gets hammered and pees down his leg when it matters.

That's about it.

I'm not sorry at all to see the Pirates lose even if it meant the Cardinals winning. I have more long term disdain for St. Louis, but Pittsburgh irritated me a bit more this season. All that said, the Dodgers need to dispatch the Cards quickly and I'll be even happier. Sweep'em in four and knock'em out.

Whoever comes out of the Tigers and A's series will be the team I'll be rooting for. I tend to root for AL teams after the Reds are eliminated, probably because most NL teams have done something to the Reds to aggravate me during one time or another. I can't root for any of the Cards, Pirates, Brewers or Cubs for obvious reasons. The Phillies are on the list after 2010, same with the Giants in 2012. I still can't stand the Mets because of 1999, same with the Braves for 1995. And we all know about the history with the Dodgers.

So go Tigers or A's, I guess.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Pretty impressive work by the Cards. Within their own system they come up with Carpenter, Adams, Rosenthal, other high octane BP arms, Wacha in short order in the post-Pujols era. As a fan who follows the minors closely, I have to admire that.

Should be a good series between the Cards and Dodgers. Its hard to bet against the Cardinals. No matter what you think of them they are a tough bunch to put away in the post season. I would have to pick the Cardinals in seven games.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Cardinals in 5 ::

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Pretty impressive work by the Cards. Within their own system they come up with Carpenter, Adams, Rosenthal, other high octane BP arms, Wacha in short order in the post-Pujols era. As a fan who follows the minors closely, I have to admire that.
    Carpenter, Adams, Rosenthal, Miller, and Kelly are all from the 2009 draft class.

the cards are geniuses

Turn Off Ads?