Turn Off Ads?
Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Scoreboard Watching 2013 (Playoffs Edition)

Re: Scoreboard Watching 2013 (Playoffs Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd rather eat turd slaw than watch this World Series.

Been a long time since there was an exciting World Series.
    At least 2 years.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'd rather eat turd slaw than watch this World Series.

Been a long time since there was an exciting World Series.
    Sound like a sour Cubs fan.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    At least 2 years.
    Really? I think that WS was a sloppy mess. The last truly tense WS was 2001.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    Sound like a sour Cubs fan.
    Yep. Nailed it.

Really? I think that WS was a sloppy mess. The last truly tense WS was 2001.
    You kidding me? That WS was as good, if not better than the 75 series.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Man Pills

Sloppy, tons of offense. Sure lots of back and forth, but like two fat guys in the back of a pick up. I like taut, close games. 2001 and 1991 are by far my two favorite series in my lifetime. Too young for 75.

8. Likes:

757690 (10-22-2013)

Sloppy, tons of offense. Sure lots of back and forth, but like two fat guys in the back of a pick up. I like taut, close games. 2001 and 1991 are by far my two favorite series in my lifetime. Too young for 75.
    Yep. 2011 was only exciting because both teams kept screwing up. Neither were playoff material. They both could hit, but otherwise weren't very good at playing baseball.

I had a head coach who, when asked who he was rooting for while watching any MLB game, would always reply, "Good baseball." Me too. 2011 World Series was not good baseball.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

I don't dispute your like of those other 7 game World Series... But you didn't think there was a ton of slop and one sided offense in the 2001 series? Granted the Yankees overcoming a 2-0 deficit is exciting, three of the Diamondback wins were so one sided it wasn't even a save situation for the closer. Antithesis of taut close games.

2001 definitely yielded my favorite game 7 though....

My two favorites are 76 and 90. 75 would have been a blood pressure nightmare. Can you imagine the nightmare of a game thread Game 6 would have been?
    Last edited by klw; 10-22-2013 at 07:14 AM.

IMO, if you couldn't enjoy the 2011 World Series then you couldn't enjoy baseball. One of the best World Series I have seen. The games don't have to be played to perfection to be able to enjoy them. In fact they are better and have more drama if they are not.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

13. Likes:

Chip R (10-22-2013), MikeThierry (10-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    IMO, if you couldn't enjoy the 2011 World Series then you couldn't enjoy baseball. One of the best World Series I have seen. The games don't have to be played to perfection to be able to enjoy them. In fact they are better and have more drama if they are not.
    I totally agree with this. The 2011 World Series was by no means perfectly played but it was full of excitement and entertainment. Still, the best WS of all time from not only excitement and perfection was 1975. Looking at old clips of that series you could still feel the tension between the two teams and how the margin of error was razor thin. 2011 ranks up there though for pure entertainment value.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

15. Likes:

Chip R (10-22-2013)

When I was a kid I ALWAYS rooted for the NL vs. the Yankees. It made NO difference which team faced them. It's the same now, except it's not always the Yankees.

I have to figure that it's division play, where you are pretty much face the same 1 or 2 other contenders year after year where bad feelings (in the fans) arise.

Specifically, in the case of Reds/Cards I can see Reds fans disliking the A-hole La Russa, and HGH Prince of Albert, and even Carpenter for some of his antics. But they are history. You want to hang on to that BP, Yadi and Cueto fiasco? Go ahead. But they are individuals. Hate on individuals, not entire teams that change yearly. I bet there are only about 4 players still on the roster from that year....maybe less.

BTW, I forget who said the 2011 WS was "sloppy", but he MUST be the king of sour grapes. (or a closet Texan)

Some sloppy play is like a little comic relief, sometimes you need a laugh to break the tension. Unfortunately, it doesn't work when you're rooting for the team that commits the slop or against the team that benefits from it, it only works when it's the other way around or you don't particularly care one way or the other.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Some sloppy play is like a little comic relief, sometimes you need a laugh to break the tension. Unfortunately, it doesn't work when you're rooting for the team that commits the slop or against the team that benefits from it, it only works when it's the other way around or you don't particularly care one way or the other.
    In the case of the 2011 WS, what IS the sloppy play you refer to? I don't remember it. If there was any, it was easily over shadowed by the back and forth dramatics from both teams.

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    In the case of the 2011 WS, what IS the sloppy play you refer to? I don't remember it. If there was any, it was easily over shadowed by the back and forth dramatics from both teams.
    In those 7 games I think there were over 10 errors combined. There were 5 in game 6 alone. The WS ends in November now. Weather conditions suck if you're north of the mason Dixon so errors are going to happen more.

Turn Off Ads?