Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 2)

2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 2)

Please continue your 2013 Bengals discussion here.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I think part of the problem was that the offensive line really seamed to have an off day. The Browns' d-line seemed to get good penetration all day and that bad snap by Cook was a drive killer.
    I thought control of the LOS was the story of the day, along with Dalton's terrible game. The Browns dominated both lines in the first half. The Bengals D-line dominated the LOS the second half, until the late 95 yd drive, but the Bengals O-line was awful all day.

As is our routine, I (Brown fan) sat down at my brother's (Bengal fan) to watch the game. I picked the Bengals to win this game too. The Browns weren't gong to get away with the trick plays like they did last week vs the Vikings. And when they kicked that on-side after going up 7-0 I let out a huge sigh.

The Brown's D is legit. It was the only positive I really saw going into this season. I was very skeptical of the offense with Weeden in control.

Haden totally dominated AJ. My brother was screaming "Is he the only receiver Dalton can throw to?" LOL

But the Brown's defense was swarming. And they had Dalton rattled all day. I have no idea where he was throwing some of those balls. He had a lot of pressure coming, and I was really impressed with rookie Mingo too.

On offense... getting Josh Gordon back was huge, but TE Cameron has been simply phenomenal.

But having said all this, and as we watched the game, with all it's miscues, stupid penalties, and missed opportunities by both teams, I looked at my brother at one point, watching this so-called Battle of Ohio, and said "Typical Clowns vs Bungles game wouldn't you say?" "Yep" he replied, and then added "Marvin Lewis is the worst coach in the NFL! He ain't never going to take us to that next level!" LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'll ask this again: Has an NFL head coach ever been with the same franchise as long as ML has been with the Bengals, without winning a playoff game?

I love the Monday overreactions. Just 4 weeks ago after one football game Jaworski declared that Chip Kelly's offense was going to revolutionize the NFL.

Couple of things to take into consideration. It is hard to win NFL games on the road, period. Secondly, the Browns have a legit defense with a CB who has gone toe to toe with AJ Green back to college.

That was probably Andy's worst game since his rookie year. He was missing his target high and never seemed to get into a groove. BJGE should be on the field only to spell Bernard. Guy looks to be a step slower this season and running against a stout DLine is a recipe for disaster. The Bengals really screwed the game up in the 1st half when they settled for a chip shot FG and then was stuffed on 4th and short. They should have walked way with at least 10 points instead of 3.

Bryan Hoyer made enough plays against a banged up secondary to win a football game. The Bengals DLine made things too easy on Hoyer until the second half. The final TD the Browns scored was a killer but the offense did little to help. When AJ is shut down guys like Sanu, Gresham, and Jones MUST step up. They didn't yesterday.

Its not a bad loss, its not going to define their season. Its a game they should have won but didn't. Now the task gets tougher facing a Patriots team that is finding ways to get things done. Hopefully Nelson and Hall are healed up and ready to play.

Can't really pin yesterday's loss on anyone in particular.

It feels like if AJ doesn't get involved in the game early then he will have a very quiet day. On the few replays they were showing, he wasn't beating Haden. Or any of the receivers for that matter, they were all covered well. On the few occasions that we could hit a play protection broke down or Dalton missed the throw.

The offensive line couldn't get any push all game long. On that 4th down conversion we failed Green Ellis didn't even have a chance. That Mingo guy outplayed our line all by himself. Then the bad snap that killed a drive that was actually moving.

Defense didn't play terrible, but our defensive line needs to be amazing with the talent we have there. They've shown glimpses but they haven't been consistent so far this year. If they're gonna have 3 step drops and throw short passes how about getting your hands up and batting some passes down? And the Browns running game is terrible or we woulda been torched on the ground. Their offensive line was pushing us 3-4 yards off of the line all game long. I can't blame the secondary as much since we were missing some of our best players there.

I didn't think Marvin had them ready to play, and I didn't think Gruden called a particularly good game. He didn't adapt whatsoever, and he was predictable enough that the Browns basically knew what was coming in the 2nd half.

The Browns defense is really really good, but we made it easy for them yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Its not a bad loss, its not going to define their season. Its a game they should have won but didn't. Now the task gets tougher facing a Patriots team that is finding ways to get things done. Hopefully Nelson and Hall are healed up and ready to play.
    Well, they should have won it IF they're as good as we thought. Looks like they're not. At least not now. They weren't good enough to win yesterday. They lost at Cleveland last yr and still went to the playoffs. But we thought we were better this year. I guess not...

9. Likes:

RiverRat13 (10-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I'll ask this again: Has an NFL head coach ever been with the same franchise as long as ML has been with the Bengals, without winning a playoff game?
    Is that you brother? LMAO

[my brother continually echoes this sentiment]
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Now the task gets tougher facing a Patriots team that is finding ways to get things done.
    You then have to travel to Buffalo and then Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Is that you brother? LMAO

[my brother continually echoes this sentiment]
    Haha ... funny stuff. It's a serious question I've asked on different sites. Haven't gotten an answer yet and I'm not interested enough to take the time to look it up. The Bengals have been better during ML's 11 years than they were the previous 11, but still, it's a long time for one coach to be in the same place without winning at least one playoff game.

I'm too big a Bengals diehard to wish the Browns luck but I will say they're getting better. They could have quit after the Richardson trade, but instead they took it up a notch. That says a lot about their character and about the coaching staff as well. And that is one tough defense they're putting together.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    You then have to travel to Buffalo and then Detroit.
    The Bengals schedule is a monster.

If you're keeping score at home, the Steelers are now 2-9 in their last 11 games.

15. Likes:

Stray (10-01-2013),Wonderful Monds (10-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    The Bengals schedule is a monster.
    The schedule for the entire AFC North is. I see the Browns going 1-4 over their next 5 games, and maybe 6-10 for the season. 9-7 may win the division! LOL

Hard to see the Bengals being competitive this week. Looks like they'll be missing Hall, Nelson, and now Michael Johnson with a concussion.

They went into the season thin at secondary, so pretty much worst case scenario with what's happening with Leon Hall and Reggie Nelson.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Is anyone else really bummed by the fact that the Bills have scored 24 points (as of this posting) on that great Browns defense?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?