Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 2)

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 2)

Another guy who is having a great year is Terrence Newman. I was kinda worried about our CBs going into the year, but man he has not given up much of anything this year.

2. Likes:

wolfboy (10-07-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Three notes:

1. Pats 0 Penalties? Saw them holding quite a bit but they never get called for it.

2. Gio's fumble was caused by a helmet hitting the ball. Pretty tough to hold onto it when that happens. I don't put that one on him. It was just a good play on D. I'd view it differently if he'd gotten stripped or just lost it.

3. The roughing the passer call was a soft call.

Peko's mistake, although dumb, had little impact. Crocker's mistake was the one I felt could have doomed them.
    Any of those could have doomed them. Luckily none of those mistakes had much impact, thanks to the defense. Give the O-line credit for bailing out Peko. I didn't realize that NE had no penalties but I can't recall them being called for one. It does illuminate my point. The Bengals made a lot more mistakes but still won the game due to their superior talent. I'd like to see their execution approach their talent

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Another guy who is having a great year is Terrence Newman. I was kinda worried about our CBs going into the year, but man he has not given up much of anything this year.
    Good point. Who would have thought that we'd hold Brady to less than 50% passing and no TDs w/o MJ and (by far) our best CB in Hall? A lot of the credit goes to Newman for stepping up

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Andy Dalton, in his first two seasons in the league, led the Bengals to a playoff appearance. Check out how many quarterbacks have done that in franchise history, let alone their first two in the league, and get back to me.
    Mark Sanchez did the same thing...

Dalton is not a bad quarterback. But it's hard to say he is any better than a mediocre quarterback. Mediocre is middle of the pack, and I don't think he could be listed above 15 other QBs. If you think he can, I'd be interested to see your QB rankings.

I like Dalton. I'd like to see more of the Dalton that we saw against the Bears. He looked good in that game and has looked bad or at least very inconsistent since. His accuracy stats from yesterday were good, but they don't tell the whole story. He really only made one good throw - the 3rd and 15 pass to Marvin Jones - and that was truly a great clutch pass. But other than that, he didn't make any plays. With the weapons that Dalton has, he needs to be making more plays and driving the ball down the field more. AJ Green is being wasted. Dalton also looked bad in the pocket, taking a few sacks where he should have been able to get rid of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Tom Brady 18-38 197 yds 0 TD 1 Int
    Andy Dalton 20-27 212 yds 0 TD 1 Int

Dalton outplayed Brady today like he did against Rodgers. I'm not saying he's better than either of these QB's but he hasn't been outplayed/outclassed when competing against them.
    Dalton outplayed Brady, and I'm glad they got the win, but I think this speaks more to Brady than it does to Dalton. Brady looked bad yesterday. Part of that is on the defense, and they did a great job getting pressure. But Brady missed quite a few open receivers. He has looked off all year. It will be interesting to see if he is able to get into a rhythm once Gronk comes back

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Dalton outplayed Brady, and I'm glad they got the win, but I think this speaks more to Brady than it does to Dalton. Brady looked bad yesterday. Part of that is on the defense, and they did a great job getting pressure. But Brady missed quite a few open receivers. He has looked off all year. It will be interesting to see if he is able to get into a rhythm once Gronk comes back
    I think Brady's biggest problem is his weapons. He doesn't have many. Dalton has an embarrassment of riches at his disposal

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-07-2013)

Mark Sanchez did the same thing...

Dalton is not a bad quarterback. But it's hard to say he is any better than a mediocre quarterback. Mediocre is middle of the pack, and I don't think he could be listed above 15 other QBs. If you think he can, I'd be interested to see your QB rankings.

I like Dalton. I'd like to see more of the Dalton that we saw against the Bears. He looked good in that game and has looked bad or at least very inconsistent since. His accuracy stats from yesterday were good, but they don't tell the whole story. He really only made one good throw - the 3rd and 15 pass to Marvin Jones - and that was truly a great clutch pass. But other than that, he didn't make any plays. With the weapons that Dalton has, he needs to be making more plays and driving the ball down the field more. AJ Green is being wasted. Dalton also looked bad in the pocket, taking a few sacks where he should have been able to get rid of the ball.
    This is really one of the biggest problems I've had with this offense and, quite frankly, I'm not sure who should get the blame. He simply should not be holding on to the ball for as long as he does in a West Coast offense. I'm not smart enough to tell you whether that falls on Dalton or Gruden, but it is unquestionably a problem. I suspect it falls on Dalton given that the guy worked exclusively out of the spread in college. Regardless of where the blame falls, it is clear that Dalton simply cannot operate in the pocket under pressure. They need to figure out a way for him to get rid of the ball and get rid of it fast.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think Brady's biggest problem is his weapons. He doesn't have many. Dalton has an embarrassment of riches at his disposal
    Good point, although Brady is still missing passes that he would normally hit.

The strange thing about Dalton is that he is playing worse this year than last year. He had a stretch last year before Sanu got hurt where he looked really good, like he had taken a huge step up. Then they added Eifert and Gio, and he looks out of sync. I think part of it is a lack of creativity on offense - Gio needs to be utilized more out of the backfield with designed screens - but a lot of it is on Dalton missing open receivers or making bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    This is really one of the biggest problems I've had with this offense and, quite frankly, I'm not sure who should get the blame. He simply should not be holding on to the ball for as long as he does in a West Coast offense. I'm not smart enough to tell you whether that falls on Dalton or Gruden, but it is unquestionably a problem. I suspect it falls on Dalton given that the guy worked exclusively out of the spread in college. Regardless of where the blame falls, it is clear that Dalton simply cannot operate in the pocket under pressure. They need to figure out a way for him to get rid of the ball and get rid of it fast.
    There were 2 sacks yesterday where the rush came up the middle, and Dalton should have had time to throw the ball away. He saw the rush coming but had rushers on each side, so no time to escape. He should have been able to get rid of the ball, maybe throw it at the feet of a receiver, but he froze, ducked, and took a sack.

Good point, although Brady is still missing passes that he would normally hit.

The strange thing about Dalton is that he is playing worse this year than last year. He had a stretch last year before Sanu got hurt where he looked really good, like he had taken a huge step up. Then they added Eifert and Gio, and he looks out of sync. I think part of it is a lack of creativity on offense - Gio needs to be utilized more out of the backfield with designed screens - but a lot of it is on Dalton missing open receivers or making bad decisions.
    I'm not thrilled with Dalton's play but I do think it's worth noting that he's played some excellent defenses this year. All five of our opponents have given opposing QBs fits

14. Likes:

Redsfaithful (10-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm not thrilled with Dalton's play but I do think it's worth noting that he's played some excellent defenses this year. All five of our opponents have given opposing QBs fits
    Maybe not great overall (Green Bay comes to mind), but they've all had very good pass rushers.

2 things:

I agree with Sea Ray that they have played five good defenses (possibly with the exception of GB.) I'd like to see his body of work for the entire year.

Dalton had a 3 week stretch last year where he threw 9 TDs with 0 INT. Let's see what happens when they play a soft defense. The Bills defense has been pretty mediocre, so this will be an interesting week.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

17. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-08-2013)

Not sure where you guys are getting that we've faced five good defenses. Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Chicago rank 17th, 23rd and 26th, respectively, in PPG allowed. It looks a little better if you go by YPG, but even then we've still only played two defenses in the top 15.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Not sure where you guys are getting that we've faced five good defenses. Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Chicago rank 17th, 23rd and 26th, respectively, in PPG allowed. It looks a little better if you go by YPG, but even then we've still only played two defenses in the top 15.
    I'll wait 'till the end of the year to look at rankings. Bengals defense didn't rank that high through the first handful of games last year. I knew they were a great defense.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Is that points given up by the defense or does it include points scored by special teams and opposing team's D? That's a tough stat to use, especially this early in the year. By my eyetest, Pitt, Chicago and Cleveland are tough defenses especially against the pass. They'll give a lot of QB's problems. What is their opposing QB's passer rating? That'd be a better stat to use here

Turn Off Ads?