Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baseball America top prospects by League

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Baseball America top prospects by League

Yorman Rodriguez was named the #20 prospect in the Southern League. No other Blue Wahoo made the list (not surprising).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yorman Rodriguez was named the #20 prospect in the Southern League. No other Blue Wahoo made the list (not surprising).
    Youngest guy on the list?

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Youngest guy on the list?
    No, he wasn't. I didn't look at the age of everyone, but I know that Javier Baez is a few months younger than he is. I think Rodriguez was the 3rd or 4th youngest guy in the league with 200 PA's.

This list has jumped the Sharky. Rogers that is.

6. Likes:

camisadelgolf (10-08-2013)

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Very few college guys on that list. I am as big a SMB fan as anyone but I have said that he is not the kind of player that is going to get the credit he deserves on the prospect lists because he has not (yet) hit a ton of homers as a corner infielder. I say he is an example of the difference between a player who does not have much power and a player who does not hit a lot of home runs. Two different things. Seth has tremendous raw power. But he only hit 11 homers this season. If and when he learns to turn on pitches, the homers will come. He played in a college ballpark where no one hit over eight homers for a team that won the CWS, where players developed a different approach at the plate of hitting the ball up the middle and to the opposite field.

Baseball America likes toolsy position players and hard-throwing pitchers (as do most scouts). Seth is a hard-nosed gamer with a strong arm, great defensive skills, and a good bat. He does not run particularly well. Baseball America also likes players who play up in terms of age and Seth's age was equal to or slightly higher than the league he was in this season. Average age in the Midwest League is a tick below 22 and Seth turned 22 in April.
    With all the talk about possibly trading Phillips (and no long-term solution in-house), I was wondering if SMB could play 2B. Not next year in Cincy, but groomed to be there in a couple years (possibly 2015). Is it a possibility?

How does his glove rank with Frazier at 3B? Say Frazier's offensive game grows in 2014 and his D stays the same (above average) and SMB continues to tear it up (in say AA). If they like SMB at 3B more than Frazier defensively, would they consider moving Frazier to 2B? Frazier did play SS a bit in the minors and was thought of as a future utility guy just a couple years ago.

SMB is already 216 at age 22. (6-2) although quite athletic I'd think he will be too big body wise to be a second baseman when fully mature physically. He is a terrific third sacker by all accounts so I don't see why you'd move him. Plus, his likely arrival will pretty much coincide with Frazier reaching his more expensive years - years that his production probably won't justify anyway. Unless Todd is replaced with someone else in the meantime I like the progression as it stands.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Neither Frazier or SMB are middle of the diamond guys. Too big.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Neither Frazier or SMB are middle of the diamond guys. Too big.
    100 percent agree with that comment. First two steps are not explosive enough to provide the range.

Billy Hamilton is listed at #10 in the International League. No other Reds. So to summarize:

AAA: Hamilton at #10.

AA: Y. Rodriguez at #20.

High-A: Y. Rodriguez at #13.

Low-A: Stephenson at #3; Winker at #9.

Rookie: Ervin at #2; Lively at # 6.

So you have two players who were top 3 in their league; three more who were top 10; and one more who was a top 20. In fairness to Lorenzen, he was not in any league long enough to get any real attention. He certainly is one of the Reds top seven prospects along with the other six mentioned here.

It should also be noted, and I think this is obvious but it is worth mentioning, that different leagues have contrasting levels of strength, depending on the particular year. Stephenson was #3 in his league this year but in most years, he would have been #1. He happened to be in a league that had the top two selections in the draft, both of whom had excellent (or great) years.
    Last edited by redsof72; 10-14-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Billy Hamilton is listed at #10 in the International League. No other Reds. So to summarize:

AAA: Hamilton at #10.

AA: Y. Rodriguez at #20.

High-A: Y. Rodriguez at #13.

Low-A: Stephenson at #3; Winker at #9.

Rookie: Ervin at #2; Lively at # 6.

So you have two players who were top 3 in their league; three more who were top 10; and one more who was a top 20. In fairness to Lorenzen, he was not in any league long enough to get any real attention. He certainly is one of the Reds top seven prospects along with the other six mentioned here.
    So if those guys comprise the top seven, I'm guessing that, to round out the top ten, Barnhart and Mejias-Brean would be consensus choices. I'd think that the last spot would come down to any of five pitchers--Travieso, Sharky, Guillon, Garrett or Contreras. I reserve the right to be wrong.

That's not taking into account Lutz or Reynolds, considering their big-league time. Others in the photo might be Moscot, Cisco, Constante, Arias, LaMarre, Waldrop, Crabbe, Kivel, Rachal and, out of inertia, Corcino, Soto and H Rodriguez.

Stephenson, Ervin, Winker, Hamilton, YRod, Lively, Lorenzen, Mejias-Brean, Barnhart, Contreras

I go with Contreras 10th because he has filthier stuff than Rogers but Rogers is more consistent.

Rogers would start my 11 thru 20. Lutz (I don't see his ML time as a deterrent to his prospect status because of its nature), Corcino, Muhammad, Moscot, Hayes, Cisco, Guillon, Waldrop, Crabbe would likely be in some order after that.

Travieso, Garrett, Kivel, Arias, almost certainly missing a couple. These guys could easily vault a lot higher with their ceilings. Rachal, I like him a lot but he is only in the Pioneer league. He's in my watch and see camp. I could see him making a push to climb the list but he needs to develop some power and make a bit more contact to go with his discipline and natural eye. Not really sold altogether on his glove either. The big thing with Rachal is the dearth of any other infield prospects that excite.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

I like Seth Mejias-Brean and all.... but he isn't a Top 10 guy.

I like Seth Mejias-Brean and all.... but he isn't a Top 10 guy.
    neither is Barnhart but the Reds aren't exactly flush with prospects if you look at a combination of ceiling + some success. If ALL you look at is ceiling then Garrett, Guillon, Arias and a couple others move up a lot and Rogers, Barnhart, SMB move down. A lot of the high ceiling guys like Garrett, Travieso, Arias etc have been pretty lackluster performance wise. Of course, I guess you could argue the legitimancy of whether the Reds actually have ten "top" prospects at all.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 10-14-2013 at 02:08 PM.

I have a feeling the Travieso pick is going to haunt us for years to come. Passed on both Wacha and Seager. Ouch-town.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 10-14-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Outside of Arias, I'm not sure who'll make 8-10 on Reds prospects lists. No way I'd put Corcino or Travieso in there. Contreras and Rogers. Maybe Chacin as a sleeper?

I'm also curious to see if some buzz develops around Jose Ortiz. I suspect the ratings folks will want to see him put up numbers in full-season ball, but his Billings performance at age 19 is awfully hard to ignore.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?