Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2013-14

College Basketball 2013-14

Now that practice has started, it's time to have a general thread related to the sport. For Xavier fans, this is a season we've been waiting for all our lives. The concept of the "Catholic Conference" was floated a number of times, but I did not think it would ever actually happen. But not that it's a reality (plus Butler), I have to think it's one of the few positive outcomes of the conference realignment blitz over the last few years. Granted, if you ask the Georgetown fans who were separated from Syracuse, Louisville, UConn, Notre Dame and the like, they may not be quite as excited about this as I am.

So what to expect in '13-'14? Is it more Bluegrass domination (another championship for Kentucky or Louisville)? Or can Tobacco Road get back on track? Or is it someone else's turn? Any teams or players you are particularly excited to see play?

I can't wait for the season to start in about 6 weeks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: College Basketball 2013-14

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Now that practice has started, it's time to have a general thread related to the sport. For Xavier fans, this is a season we've been waiting for all our lives. The concept of the "Catholic Conference" was floated a number of times, but I did not think it would ever actually happen. But not that it's a reality (plus Butler), I have to think it's one of the few positive outcomes of the conference realignment blitz over the last few years. Granted, if you ask the Georgetown fans who were separated from Syracuse, Louisville, UConn, Notre Dame and the like, they may not be quite as excited about this as I am.

So what to expect in '13-'14? Is it more Bluegrass domination (another championship for Kentucky or Louisville)? Or can Tobacco Road get back on track? Or is it someone else's turn? Any teams or players you are particularly excited to see play?

I can't wait for the season to start in about 6 weeks.
    I really believe this will be one of the best years in college basketball. So much talent on so many levels, so many storylines.

The Champions Classic will be one for the ages with the age and experience of Michigan State taking on the youth and talent of Kentucky. Throw in Andrew Wiggins vs Jabari Parker in the Duke-Kansas finale and it will be the best collection of talent in just the first week alone.

Michigan State is the most seasoned team IMO. I really hate their style of play but Izzo's teams can usually make an impact on the Final Four with their physicality.

I'm not ready to pencil in Kentucky for the 2014 National Championship just yet. Too many unanswered questions from last season and even though there were a lot of weak points, one is still the experience factor. Can someone step up and take a leadership role? As much fame as Anthony Davis and Michael Gilchrist had two years ago, Darius Miller was the glue of that team.

Kansas will be the odds on pick of the Big 12 but this is somewhat of a rebuilding year. Like Kentucky, Kansas will be extremely young. Can Wiggins put KU on his back and carry them through March? I'm not ruling out Oklahoma State in conference play, especially with Marcus Smart coming back to Stillwater for another season.

Like Kansas, Duke has also lost a lot of key pieces to last years team and is banking on Jabari Parker among others to shoulder the load. Will Duke's lack of a post presence hurt them moving forward? No Brian Zoubek or any of the Plumlee's on the inside but a lot of guards. Will be fun to watch.

UNC is trying to get back on track and will be looking to make a statement when Kentucky comes to town in December. I think that will be a pivotal game for them to try to make a statement.

Louisville will be aiming to go back to back for the first time since Florida did it with Noah and Co. Replacing Peyton Siva and Giorgui Gieng will be tough but the Cards have a lot of depth and players coming in that can make an impact.

Out in the land that nobody stays up to watch at night, Arizona looks to be the favorite in the Pac-12. While Arizona has the bigs (Tarczewski, Ashley, and Gordon) can they get some help on the perimeter and at the point?

Which of the midmajors will be a factor? Wichita State? Gonzaga? VCU?

Who has the most to prove this season? I'll start in Texas with Rick Barnes. With DeLoss Dodd's announcing his retirement and Mack Brown's status in football in limbo, I think its a matter of time before the Longhorns decide to move in a different direction in basketball as well. Never has a program done so little with so much.

A lot of questions, but this will be IMO the best season for college basketball in a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

4. Likes:

Boston Red (10-03-2013)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Right here, right now......Michigan State is my pick to win it all. And as much as it pains me to say, Michigan is better due to subtraction.

WV alluded to Texas........another one to watch is UCLA. They are another program that has done so little with so much. Curious as to how the new coach works at Pauley.

What a fun night. Randle looks like a young Zach Randolph who can jump. Jabari might be a young Kobe. James Young has a little James Harden. I'm in love with the Harrison twins.

But, the real story might be the rule changes/emphases. There were around 52 fouls in the UK game. I heard the term "arm bar" a ton and they finally are trying to clear up the block/charge situation. Hopefully these changes along with an infusion of talent will make this a more watchable college hoops season.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Jabari Parker was nasty last night. If he plays like that all season I don't know who is going to beat Duke. I really think Michigan State has a legit shot at a title this year too. It has been a long time since there was this much talent in college hoops.

Kevin Ware pulled over doing 95 in a 55 and skips on the court date.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-says/3647289/

PJ Hairston says hi.

#L1C40Over
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

One hell of an effort by Butler today.

There was one Big 10 team that looked like a top 10 team last night, there was one that did not. If the Bucks start shooting the ball consistently, I don't think they will need a go-to guy, but can win with balance and depth. They have shot the ball well the last two games, last night against at least a major conference foe.

However, in College bball, it seems like the best teams out of the small conferences are now better than the worst teams in the major conferences, because that Maryland team did not have much talent (understanding their point guard is injured).
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    it seems like the best teams out of the small conferences are now better than the worst teams in the major conferences
    That's been true for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    There was one Big 10 team that looked like a top 10 team last night, there was one that did not. If the Bucks start shooting the ball consistently, I don't think they will need a go-to guy, but can win with balance and depth. They have shot the ball well the last two games, last night against at least a major conference foe.

However, in College bball, it seems like the best teams out of the small conferences are now better than the worst teams in the major conferences, because that Maryland team did not have much talent (understanding their point guard is injured).
    I don't know what to think of OSU this season. If they get scoring they are going to be very tough to beat. While I don't really the freedom of movement edict this season, OSU plays good defense while moving their feet, especially Craft. They a post presence in Williams who may just average 10 points this season because he learned how to shoot FT's better.

I think the success will depend on whether or not Ross can play at the level he did in the tournament last season. Can Thompson play with confidence all season long, when he does he can be scary. And what will Loving and/or Delle Valle provide?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't know what to think of OSU this season. If they get scoring they are going to be very tough to beat. While I don't really the freedom of movement edict this season, OSU plays good defense while moving their feet, especially Craft. They a post presence in Williams who may just average 10 points this season because he learned how to shoot FT's better.

I think the success will depend on whether or not Ross can play at the level he did in the tournament last season. Can Thompson play with confidence all season long, when he does he can be scary. And what will Loving and/or Delle Valle provide?
    Loving will provide the ability to knock down stand up jumpers and excellent free throw shooting. He doesn't need to hit when he drives the lane, he just needs to get hit.

Speaking of Loving, he went to my alma mater, and a friend of mine had him as a student last year. He said Loving is one of the smartest, kindest, and well rounded kids he has ever taught and he is very humble.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    That's been true for a long, long time.
    I guess at some level I'd agree with you, but I think the gap is getting wider might be my more precise observation.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

I think my overall take is that they are more balanced team than in past years with a stronger bench. They have some bench guys with different tools, also, so Matta should have more flexibility than he has had since the one year wonders. They are growing on me, the first few games were brutal because of the bad shooting, which was my fear for this team, but I'm feeling better about that now because they have other options when the shots aren't falling. They are a little soft on rebounding, which was the one dig to take away from last night's easy win.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Notre Dame leading scorer Jerian Grant has left school because of an academic issue and will not be with the Irish for the rest of the season.

Grant, a 6-5 senior guard, averaged 19 points and 6.2 assists for the Irish.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Glad the Bucks pulled that one out. Grant was a lame duck and a key player in ND nearly pulling off the upset, and arguably shouldn't have even been on the court. "We'll let him play this one last nationally televised game against the #3 team in the country, then he's done." I'm sure they just found out about his ineligibility right after the game.

Turn Off Ads?